Distorted Vision

Speakers for Arcam Solo Mini

Super Wammer

One pair of small speakers that to my ears, have no right to sound as good as they do, especially for their paltry price are Goodmans Maxim2s. They can be had for circa £50 a pair on ebay, I'm currently running a pair on the end of my system whilst one of my Quad 989s is away for repair. 

7 hours ago, Distorted Vision said:

That would be a good idea but all the speakers I'm considering are discontinued so I'd be buying second hand.

I know but I'm concerned you run a real risk of spending a chunk of money on something unsuitable as a result. Even if you didn't end up buying new my suggestion could still give you some useful info. Alternatively you could focus on second hand options close enough to you that you could take your Arcam with you to try, although be cautious increasing the volume if you do and back off immediately if there is any obvious distortion. Pushing a low powered solid state amp too hard can damage speakers.

@Distorted Vision

On gumtree there’s two sets of DB1+’s with brackets, collection only from a business in London, in perfect nick for £300 each or both for £575. 

Thats a great deal!!!!

52 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

@Distorted Vision

On gumtree there’s two sets of DB1+’s with brackets, collection only from a business in London, in perfect nick for £300 each or both for £575. 

Thats a great deal!!!!

Thanks but I live far away from London.

Arcam Solo Mini and PMC DB1: Hate to see a grown man cry. :)

On 10/09/2019 at 04:27, plasticpenguin said:

Sorry - can't put it off any longer.

Clickety

Tonally they match Arcam beautifully and they're easy to drive.

Buy them and if I'm wrong you can call me Susan (weekends only) :nerves:

Can’t argue that Arcam and MA are a match from heaven. I’ve not heard these but imagine they would pair very well based on my experience...

PS - I’m off to client meetings tomorrow in London. I’ve msg seller of the PMC DB1+’s and am gonna pick up one of the pairs if it’s pos to do so... couldn’t resist... Very cheap, plus they’re bloody good (especially for the cash)....

No doubt I’ll shuffle them off soon after for what I paid as I’m a bit of a kit swapper. @Distorted Vision Will pm you if so in case your interested. 

*edit. The MA’s are staying. The DB’s would be for short term fun only, alongside the MA’s - I’m still on the hunt for some decent and reasonably priced PMC floorstanders (FB1i, OB1’s, 20/23’s) which is my upgrade I’m searching for. 

Edited by Amormusic

10 hours ago, Amormusic said:

Can’t argue that Arcam and MA are a match from heaven. I’ve not heard these but imagine they would pair very well based on my experience...

PS - I’m off to client meetings tomorrow in London. I’ve msg seller of the PMC DB1+’s and am gonna pick up one of the pairs if it’s pos to do so... couldn’t resist... Very cheap, plus they’re bloody good (especially for the cash)....

No doubt I’ll shuffle them off soon after for what I paid as I’m a bit of a kit swapper. @Distorted Vision Will pm you if so in case your interested. 

*edit. The MA’s are staying. The DB’s would be for short term fun only, alongside the MA’s - I’m still on the hunt for some decent and reasonably priced PMC floorstanders (FB1i, OB1’s, 20/23’s) which is my upgrade I’m searching for. 

PMCs are also a great match for Arcam. My only reservation with Distorted's amp is it isn't gutsy enough to make the most of the PMCs qualities. They're not difficult to drive but they do like quality amplification.

If I had a Solo as a second system the MA Bronze would be a no-brainer 

1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

PMCs are also a great match for Arcam. My only reservation with Distorted's amp is it isn't gutsy enough to make the most of the PMCs qualities. They're not difficult to drive but they do like quality amplification.

Odd isn’t it that the best match for a small system is actually big ‘speakers? Of course sensitivity beats convenience.

13 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Odd isn’t it that the best match for a small system is actually big ‘speakers? Of course sensitivity beats convenience.

Aye, tis a strange hobby.

Fact remains those MA Bronze ticks every box: Synergy [tick]; current model, no need to take a chance on a second hand model, as dealers such as Richer Sounds stock the MAs [tick]; front ported, whereas the PMCs are rear vented and in theory should be easier to place [tick]; Under budget [tick]; at 8 ohms and 90 db they're not demanding on amplification [tick]

I know MAs generally split opinion, but synergy is everything - with the correct amplifier those MAs will sing.