Ed Howarth

1980 Tandy catalogue

Super Wammer

Dave Jones riffling though a UK Tandy catalogue from 1980. After inflation, prices today would be more than 4 times those shown. We paid an awful lot for very ordinary hi-fi from Tandy. And not to mention computer printers and disk drives!

LINK

Everything cost more in relation to wages in the 80s. If you look at an Argos catalogue from that time it is surprising how much things cost. The prices are often not that different to what you would pay today. Globalised manufacturing has had a huge impact on consumer affordability. 

• Like 1

I have fond memories of working my Saturday job in Tandy when I was at college. Back then they didn't have any form of EPOS, all receipts were hand-written and cash (remember that?) kept in a simple lockable drawer. I used to dread someone coming in and buying an entire basket full of electronic components - we were supposed to enter the catalogue number, description and price of every item on the receipt! Needless to say, that did't happen too often...

The audio kit they sold was distinctly average-to-below-par. That said, my first taste of any sort of audio equipment beyond a 1970's music centre was the Realistic AM/FM receiver, cassette deck and horn speakers dad bought on the day the shop opened in my home town. What an eye-opener that was! Dad dtill has it all up in the loft somewhere. Top 40 on Radio 1 on Sundays was never the same again after that, finger hovering over the pause button to cut out Tommy Vance's announcements between songs!

Super Wammer

I have a set of Tandy Gennexa Pro5 speakers which are superb they sound top class and each has an Linaeum Tweeter which at the time cost more than the price of speaker pair .

• Like 1

The Genexa range was a later addition to their audio range I believe, I do have a vague recollection of them in the shop. They were probably the only bit of kit that the hi-fi press actually rated FWIW, I seem to remember them getting some favourable reviews.

Just purely for the "shits & giggles" factor I might dig my dad's old speakers out of the loft and hook them up. 12" bass driver plus horn-loaded mid and HF units with level adjusters, wonder how they'll sound to ears now used to more conventional speakers? I'll post a pic if I manage to heft them out of their hiding place!

That's a blast from the past shop i haven't heard for a long time abit like our price , andys records they where the days 

On 22/08/2019 at 12:24, JD68 said:

Everything cost more in relation to wages in the 80s. If you look at an Argos catalogue from that time it is surprising how much things cost. The prices are often not that different to what you would pay today. Globalised manufacturing has had a huge impact on consumer affordability. 

Agreed, but not housing/rent etc.

Agreed, but not housing/rent etc.
Yes definitely. I should have made clear I was talking about electronics/appliances etc.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nice find from the OP. That voice, though, grates a little.

I've just watched the video. And there's all the old kit I remember, gathering dust in Dad's loft! The STA-820 receiver on page 7 (lovely old weighted feel to the tuning knob). The X-100 speakers on page 15 with their walnut cabinets. The SCT-3000 cassette deck on page 26. That was quite a bit of kit at the time, a 3-head deck with a satisfying "thunk" from the logic-controlled mechanism. It even had a Dolby FM decoder (if only we'd broadcast radio with the embedded signal in the UK) plus separate bias adjustment. I think I wore the heads out on that with the amount of use it got!

I've gone all misty-eyed....

Brilliant, I enjoyed that. Used to love looking through those catalogues as a younger man. One from the 90s would be nice as well :) speaker tech hasn't really come on that much. 

Wish there was an archive for old magazines / catalogues I love nostalgically looking through the older gear.