fro

FREE Looking for some advice

After quite a few years being away from forums and hifi in general, I have decided to sell my Nottingham analogue Dais. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea what it’s worth. The deck is in perfect condition and has an extra base and two arm pods ( NA and Rega ). Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Difficult to tell, it may swing on the age of the deck, if you have original box/packaging, if it is to be sold with a tonearm etc?

I’m not sure the second arm pod will be a big selling point. 

There is an early Newline Engineering Dais on ebay at the minute for £795 with single arm pod and a unipivot tonearm. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303245271187

There is one other that I can see for sale at around £2,400, without a tonearm, but with the Wave speed / pitch controller, which is probably worth about £300 - £400 https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9g799-nottingham-analogue-dais-turntables?refsource=hifishark

There is quite a large space between £800 & £2k to pitch it at. 😳

GL 

Look at sold items on eBay, you may not get the exact model but you can work out whats been sold, and for how much and then see if yours was above or below that in the 'range'..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=Nottingham+analogue+Dais&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=SE13+5QZ&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Edited by The Chronicals

3 hours ago, fro said:

After quite a few years being away from forums and hifi in general, I have decided to sell my Nottingham analogue Dais. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea what it’s worth. The deck is in perfect condition and has an extra base and two arm pods ( NA and Rega ). Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Also important to compare against the original Dais and newer model Dais. Is yours the later one? 

Super Wammer

The thing is - how much do you want to get for it and how long are you prepared to wait to achieve your price?  On that basis if I wanted to clear it and hope to get a good price I would stick it on ebay with a starting price of say of say £500 (or your minimum acceptable price)  and keep my fingers crossed that there are a few people out there who would want it and push the bidding up.

At the end of the day it is all about finding someone who wants what you have balanced with what is the minimum you are prepared to accept for it 

Oh one other thing - if you do collection only it will restrict those who will bid/  So if you are confident that you can pack it up securely enough to withstand the tribulations of transporting it - offering delivery may increase the possible price you achieve (just remember to set a postage charge to cover the costs of doing that).

Wishing you the best of luck in achieving your ideal.

Super Wammer

One thing I would caution you about is selling this on e-bay . Many have nice easy sales but there are pitfalls withpeople who are looking to cheat sellers out of either there money the item or both .

While it may limit your bidders I would advise to make your sale collection only and that payment is in cash . Have a letter for the buyer to confirm that the item is in good condition and as decribed which they must sign when they collect . This will mean that they can not either collect the item and complain that it is damaged and ask for money back or worse still pay via Paypal then make a cliam and get the money back while holding on to your turntabe as well .

I know that many will say they have made sales with no issue but there are others on here including professional sellers who have had this sort of thing done to them . Your table is worth a considerable amount of money and you need to ensure that you get paid accordingly

• Like 2

the early dias at £795 has been unsold on evilbuy for ages, suggests it not worth that much

irrelevant really as yours is the later one.

I'm interested, if you don't want both an arm and a leg

21 minutes ago, bencat said:

One thing I would caution you about is selling this on e-bay .etc

plenty of scams, plenty of undesirables claiming that things are no good when its not true, it all goes on.

NEVER take paypal for something of significant value, not even a deposit. 5% fees gets expensive. Paypal clawing back your money on a spurious claim by whoever paid it will take weeks to sort out, and one never knows whether one will win the argument regardless of rights and wrongs. Gums up your pp and ebay accounts for weeks.

My advice, cash, cleared cheque, cleared bank transfer only. Some people wont like this, tough. Someone will buy it. They can come get it, or you can deliver it etc. Couriers are likely to wreck it, read the small print very carefully, they all love taking your money for "insurance" then refusing to pay up. You could be paying £50 or £100 to insure the item for one journey. Rip off. The law ? Duty of Care ? try winning that one. EU regs enshrined in UK law - it is the SENDER who has the risk in transit, not the carrier ! Madness but thats where we are.

As an example, it took me ages to sell a Radford valve amp, with valves of course, working. Several people wanted me to post it to Italy. Guaranteed to smash the glass, if it gets there at all. No-one pays up for anything containing glass. Post+paypal costs over £200. Quite likely to be £1500 down the toilet. I didnt. I just held on until it sold, someone came on the train to get it, paid cash, he is going to take it to someone else in Lithuania.

Edited by forgot-my-id