4me2ctv

LINN Unidisk SC display very dim

How I fixed mine:

The vacuum fluorescent display is very dim after all these years.  I removed the face plate and checked the voltages.  They appear fine but I don't have the service information for this.  I noticed the plastic tint on the face plate is quite dark.  So I removed that and replaced it with a much lighter tinted plastic I salvaged from a microwave.  Now I can see the display again from a distance.  I can even turn down the brightness.  It is so nice to have a usable display again.

Adrien.

• Like 1

Hi.  I didn't take any pics of the work progress.  I hope this will help.  I carefully removed the CD tray front bezel.  The tabs are underneath.  I then remove the front panel.  I removed the tinted plastic window insert without too much difficulty.  I used it as the template for sizing the replacement piece.  I carefully cut and filed the replacement piece until it was a good fit.  It is not perfect but from a distance you can't tell.  Also you can see more of the inside through the lighter tinted plastic but from a distance you can't tell.   I attached a pic what it looks like with the replacement plastic window.  Also a pic showing the original plastic window piece to compare.  

Adrien.

699883979_UnidiskSCDisplay(2).thumb.JPG.dd5232527a49cc5bc45899456a547ceb.JPG1345788037_UnidiskSCDisplay(1).thumb.JPG.ad104eae90d1c7f495eb537f2776fd8c.JPG

• Like 1

Hi.  I didn't take any pics of the work progress.  I hope this will help.  I carefully removed the CD tray front bezel.  The tabs are underneath.  I then remove the front panel.  I removed the tinted plastic window insert without too much difficulty.  I used it as the template for sizing the replacement piece.  I carefully cut and filed the replacement piece until it was a good fit.  It is not perfect but from a distance you can't tell.  Also you can see more of the inside through the lighter tinted plastic but from a distance you can't tell.   I attached a pic what it looks like with the replacement plastic window.  Also a pic showing the original plastic window piece to compare.  
Adrien.
699883979_UnidiskSCDisplay(2).thumb.JPG.dd5232527a49cc5bc45899456a547ceb.JPG1345788037_UnidiskSCDisplay(1).thumb.JPG.ad104eae90d1c7f495eb537f2776fd8c.JPG

Thanks for the pictures.
Does it look more green now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi.  As far as color, the pic captured it quite well. 

Adrien.