DomT

New speaker stands for Harbeth SHL5

On 20/08/2019 at 15:27, deggie said:

In the past I have used ..skylan stands to good effect , currently use black hifi racks stands, very nice indeed , 

but a change of plans to a bedroom layout  , room change etc . has been scuppered, so my harbeth shl5 anniversary and stands

will be up for sale soon,...…..my long term floorstanders will stay in the lounge...…..so not a happy bunny at the moment as the

harbies  are utterly divine as music producers , …….oh well .

No way keith , that's a real shame , they sound so good in your set up  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DomT said:

I have the SS as well which is why I need safer ones. As there is no top plate it’s really easy to knock them off. 

Do you have 2x5 year olds, 2x 11 year olds and several adults round at the same time in a 5x4 meter room? I do and it’s scary thinking that I even want to put the Harbeths in the room in the first place!! 

I would have Heart failure if that was the case 

11 hours ago, hifinutt said:

I would have Heart failure if that was the case 

Am thinking of hatching a secret plan to install a Naim Muso there instead but my wife loves the Harbeths so much that she might divorce me if I sell them............

I have C7s on Hifi-Racks ‘Grand Signature’ stands.    They look good and sound great.     The stand’s carpentry and finish are super, but I’m less impressed by the engineering of the spikes - they just feel a bit cheap and don’t fit that well.

Just for fun, I borrowed a set of Isoacoustics Gaia IIIs.    I know these are really meant for floor standers, so I wasn’t expecting too much.      They’re much better engineered and more easily adjustable, fitting the stands better than Hifi-Racks own spikes!    With the Gaias fitted, even with the slight movement due to the Gaia’s isolation system, the speakers felt very steady and secure - just as firm really as with the spikes.    I have solid wood floors and the isolation footer acts as a sort of suction cup making a good grip on the floor.    With spikes I need to use spike shoes which don’t make as good a coupling to the floor - you can push the speaker quite easily.

So I felt encouraged, and I must admit I was now eagerly anticipating some improvement.    How completely wrong can you be?   I was truly shocked at the wholesale destruction of SQ.    What was previously an exciting live, dynamic and all enveloping experience was now flat, dull and boring. 

I’m not out to criticise the Gaias.  They clearly state they are intended for floor-standers, and I was using them on a stand-mount.    However, I wasn’t prepared for such an epic fail.    But I think it does suggest that Harbeths are critically sensitive to how they are mounted, the nature of the stand and how that is supported.

What I’ve found does work is to ensure that the spikes fit as precisely and tightly into the spike shoes as possible, with no micro-rocking.    A circular spirit level helps.

Skylan ( from Canada mind) make superb stands for Harbeths, look well smart and sound good too.:geek:

20 hours ago, Sine Nomine said:

I have C7s on Hifi-Racks ‘Grand Signature’ stands.  

What I’ve found does work is to ensure that the spikes fit as precisely and tightly into the spike shoes as possible, with no micro-rocking.    A circular spirit level helps.

Sorry for the daft question but what are ‘spike shoes’ and ‘micro rocking’. Thanks

4 hours ago, DomT said:

Sorry for the daft question but what are ‘spike shoes’ and ‘micro rocking’. Thanks

Spike shoes are simply Floor Protectors, that the spikes sit in.

i think the micro movements happen if the speakers are not held totally still ie. No rocking backwards/forwards at all.

Yeah, that's exactly right - thanks for answering CnoEvil.   The shoes are just metal disks with a dimple in the middle that the spike fits into - protects a wooden floor.     When you insert the spikes, it's a fiddle to ensure there's no movement at all.    Especially if your floor isn't quite flat like mine.    But it seems that's what you have to do to get the best sound.   Total isolation doesn't seem to work - for Harbeths anyway.

4 minutes ago, Sine Nomine said:

Yeah, that's exactly right - thanks for answering CnoEvil.   The shoes are just metal disks with a dimple in the middle that the spike fits into - protects a wooden floor.     When you insert the spikes, it's a fiddle to ensure there's no movement at all.    Especially if your floor isn't quite flat like mine.    But it seems that's what you have to do to get the best sound.   Total isolation doesn't seem to work - for Harbeths anyway.

Re Harbeths.

I have suspended wooden floors and use Someting Solid stands, with SS "Missing Link" isolation feet (into which the spike sits). It works well.

1 minute ago, Sine Nomine said:

I could say those things are money for old rope, but I wont. :cool:      

FFS!

They look like something Heath Robinson would have been proud of...But they work surprisingly well.