Chip Perry

Linn Fall 2019 New Product Releases

So is this price change UK price list only, or does this effect  North America pricing too? Technically, it shouldn't if the main reason is a dip in the value of the Pound.

Any news on what's coming? Linn seems awfully quiet right now hardware and software wise.

27 minutes ago, mcgilroy said:

Any news on what's coming? Linn seems awfully quiet right now hardware and software wise.

Only the Series 3 and Kustom DSM. And I think the fact that was leaked here from the Exakt filter version info page is why they have taken it down!

I’m baffled by the idea of a Kustom (install) DSM - wasn’t that was the Sneaky DSM and Sekrit DSM intended for? So, is this just an updated, therefore more expensive, Sneaky?

I imagine that the Series 3 will be Linn’s take on a “smart” speaker - but one for small room, add another for stereo and have then talk to each other, or have 5 or 7 for surround sound. Might make existing Exakt owners investigate surround sound.

’troll

14 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I’m baffled by the idea of a Kustom (install) DSM - wasn’t that was the Sneaky DSM and Sekrit DSM intended for? So, is this just an updated, therefore more expensive, Sneaky?

I'm not sure it's an "install" as in Custom Installation. I think it's just the name for either a Kiko replacement or front end for the Series 3. Reasoning is from the Products site:

Kiko: "Date of Introduction: July 2012 - April 2019"

Sekrit DSM: still in production

1 hour ago, timster said:

I'm not sure it's an "install" as in Custom Installation. I think it's just the name for either a Kiko replacement or front end for the Series 3. Reasoning is from the Products site:

Kiko: "Date of Introduction: July 2012 - April 2019"

Sekrit DSM: still in production

Ah, so, possibly, a cheaper “Selekt” type DSM then?

’troll

22 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

’troll

Possibly.

If the Series 3 is an all-in-one wireless speaker/MuSo type thing (which my dealer confirmed last week) then the Kustom DSM must be something else. Seeing as the Kiko is no more.... but that leaves the question, what speakers would go with it? Perhaps the Kiko speakers are also getting a revamp?

We shall know next month!

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

That's what I'm guessing too. And maybe, perhaps at a later date, replacing the MDSM as well as the Kiko. This would create the opportunity to replace the Chakra x100 series amps with a Class D offering (built in or separate).  That would make some sense of the "Kustom" moniker.

1 hour ago, timster said:

the Series 3 is an all-in-one wireless speaker/MuSo type thing (which my dealer confirmed last week)

Which reminds me that I read a review of the Mu-so 2 in the latest (November!) issue of Computer Shopper. It is not particularly complimentary: three stars and va summary verdict that reads

"A luxurious and fine sounding slab of metal, but for most homes it wont be worth the expense."

The quoted price - described in the review as "gargantuan" - is £1,299, which I guess is well below any price point at which Lunn is likely to launch the Series 3. Another comment is:

"Aurally, the Mu-so 2 is a bit of an odd one. Most of the time, it's great: the two relatively tiny bass drivers lend genuine weight and sub-bass heft to basslines and percussion, and the mid-range and treble deftly unpick layers of instruments and vocals ... At the same time there's no hint of a stereo image at all ..."

I'm afraid that I don't have a URL for this review, as I read it in a printed copy of the magazine.

David

Edited by DavidHB

I want to play.  I have lots of wild guesses based on nearly zero information.

Linn have developed a version of Exakt-Link that works over WiFi.  Currently, a pair of "Exakted" speakers are connected using a twisted pair cable that carries the Exakt-Link signal.  All future models of Linn speakers will be connected by a WiFi signal that carries the Exact-Link signal.  The headline is, "Speaker cable is so last week".

The "Series 3" "master" is a streamer and an Exakted speaker.  The "master" has no physical inputs.  It can only receive music using WiFi.

The "master" can send an Exakt-Link signal over WiFi to one or more "slave" units.  A "slave" unit has no physical inputs and no conventional WiFi and can only receive music using Exakt-Link over WiFi.

Konfig will be used to configure, as an example, one "master" and three "slaves" as stereo pairs in each of two rooms.

Linn are not allowed to produce devices that do not have a phono input (it's written into Scottish law).  The "Kustom DSM" has phono and other inputs.  The "Kustom" outputs to Exakt-Link over WiFi.  The Kustom removes the need for a "master" speaker.  The "Kustom" can be used with one or two or more "slave" speakers.

The "Kustom" DSM might be modular and use cartridges in a similar way to the the Selekt.  The cartridge options might include a surround decoder that allows multiple "slave" speakers to be used as a surround system in a single room.

You might ask, "What does all this do for me?"  How does an existing DSM connect into the world of Exakt-Link over WiFi?  It might be that a "Kustom" has a socket for Exakt-Link over twisted pair.  An existing DSM would drive existing speakers using Exakt-Link over twisted pair and "new" speakers using Exakt-Link over twisted pair to a "Kustom" and onward to speakers using Exakt-Link over WiFi.

Or ... it might be that "master" and "slave" speakers have a physical Exakt-Link socket and can be connected to an existing DSM using twisted pair.  Or ... it might be that only the "master" has a physical Exakt-Link socket.  An existing DSM would conect to a "master" using Exakt-Link over twisted pair and the "master" would connect to one, or more, slaves using Exakt-Link over WiFi.

There is room for lots more guesses.  Will the "Series 3" come in one version or more than one?  Versions with and without Katalyst?  A good "320" and a better "330"?  Linn Fabrik speaker covers?  Will the "master" speaker have a Line-in socket to allow connection to not-Linn equipment?  Will the "Kustom" have a physical Exakt-Link socket that can be used to drive existing speakers and Exaktboxes using Exakt-Link over twisted pair?  Will the cartridges for the "Kustom" include power amp cartridges that can drive not-Exakt speakers?

Or ... none of the above.

Thank you for listening.  Graham.

Super Wammer

Cymbiosis have posted that Linn are postponing any price rises because of uncertainty re Brexit. 

https://www.cymbiosis.com/2019/09/stop-press-important-linn-prices-update/

Edited by Nopiano

14 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Cymbiosis have posted that Linn are postponing any price rises because of uncertainty re Brexit. 

https://www.cymbiosis.com/2019/09/stop-press-important-linn-prices-update/

So no price increases over the next 5 years?    :D

• Like 1

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

So no price increases over the next 5 years?    :D

Here’s hoping, Paul!  

I did wonder if sales were already flat - possibly because consumers are wary of large outgoings with Brexit uncertainty - and raising prices would’ve made things worse.  I’m pretty sure house sales and car purchases are reduced compared to last year here in Blighty, though there are taxes on housing here (Stamp Duty) that the government have hinted they might cut.  Overseas sales might be buoyant for Linn?!

On 16/09/2019 at 12:38, timster said:

Possibly.

If the Series 3 is an all-in-one wireless speaker/MuSo type thing (which my dealer confirmed last week) then the Kustom DSM must be something else. Seeing as the Kiko is no more.... but that leaves the question, what speakers would go with it? Perhaps the Kiko speakers are also getting a revamp?

We shall know next month!

My guess: It’s a DSM with integrated amplifiers mainly intended for driving Linn’s Custom (in-wall) speaker range 'Exakt'.