The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Carlbkk1

Kii Three active monitors - a revolution?

Dealer
3 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

I would expect a premium product with a circa 12k asking price will be supported for a long time.

Ah, so that would be similar to the premium cost high tech cars then? Yep, I'm convinced.

5 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Ah, so that would be similar to the premium cost high tech cars then? Yep, I'm convinced.

Never had one. Have you?

Dealer
3 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

Never had one. Have you?

Err, no. I leave them to high net worth people who are less sensitive to depreciation than me.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

I would expect a premium product with a circa 12k asking price will be supported for a long time.

I would totally agree but unforunately in the current HiFi market expectations and actual reality of service are with many manufacturers a thing of the past. You only have tolook at other areas of complex products; unless there is a very well funded and comprehensive support environment they are frozen in the past or become unusable. You only have to look at devices which are built around computer chips,many are only good as door stops within a few years.

Edited by Eaton Mess
  • Upvote 1

Well I have one or two items of premium gear, a valve amp built around 1984 that I can still get components and valves specifically for it. I can get original replacement parts for my Tannoy DC’s, plus a Tannoy recommended place to fix them. I have access to the designer of my main power amp, Bruno Putzeys himself, two of my DACs (AudioByte and PS Audio), my phono stage (PS Audio) the builder of my tonearm and my cartridge. I could go on. It isn’t as bad as you guys seem to think. If places go bust I can understand why support might cease but the reality is good will is there in spades.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

Well I have one or two items of premium gear, a valve amp built around 1984 that I can still get components and valves specifically for it. I can get original replacement parts for my Tannoy DC’s, plus a Tannoy recommended place to fix them. I have access to the designer of my main power amp, Bruno Putzeys himself, two of my DACs (AudioByte and PS Audio), my phono stage (PS Audio) the builder of my tonearm and my cartridge. I could go on. It isn’t as bad as you guys seem to think. If places go bust I can understand why support might cease but the reality is good will is there in spades.

Well I think you are quoting many of the companies that have been around as we have grown up with the addio and HiFI hobby, also many serve the professional market too. I suppose you might call them in current speak "old school", others being the likes of Quad, EAR Yoshino, PMC, Sugden, Sennheiser, etc. However; there are others who provide little or very patchy support for their legacy product i.e. Maridian, Harbeth to name but two. Some of the products you cite I would not really class as particularly complex (i,e, valve amp, tonearms, cartridges etc) and even if the manufacturer on longer supports them there are many people who can still service and repair them providing they have the relevant information.

Digital and comms based items I think though you have to accept that sooner or later it will be seperceeded, may not be usable with other modern equipment or software no longer supported so has obsolesence buit into the product. So the point I was trying to make is that broadly speakimg the more complex these product become the shorter their useful lifespan is likely to be.  Personally supportability and longevity is one of the key things I seek when buying equipment, but others may have different priorities.

Edited by Eaton Mess

Enjoyed the Kii three standmounts at shows but still nervous with all that kit inside that can go wrong . Be good to hear this version . 

Dealer
58 minutes ago, Eaton Mess said:

Well I think you are quoting many of the companies that have been around as we have grown up with the addio and HiFI hobby, also many serve the professional market too. I suppose you might call them in current speak "old school", others being the likes of Quad, EAR Yoshino, PMC, Sugden, Sennheiser, etc. However; there are others who provide little or very patchy support for their legacy product i.e. Maridian, Harbeth to name but two. Some of the products you cite I would not really class as particularly complex (i,e, valve amp, tonearms, cartridges etc) and even if the manufacturer on longer supports them there are many people who can still service and repair them providing they have the relevant information.

Digital and comms based items I think though you have to accept that sooner or later it will be seperceeded, may not be usable with other modern equipment or software no longer supported so has obsolesence buit into the product. So the point I was trying to make is that broadly speakimg the more complex these product become the shorther their useful lifespan is likely to be.  Personally supportability and longevity is one of the key things I seek when buying equipment, but others may have different priorities.

And I am with you on all that. Speakers can last decades, as can good amplifiers but DACs and software have short lives before they are deemed to be yesterday’s wonder toy. Put them all together in the same box and the long lived bits risk being thrown out with the bath water. 

1 minute ago, Fourlegs said:

And I am with you on all that. Speakers can last decades, as can good amplifiers but DACs and software have short lives before they are deemed to be yesterday’s wonder toy. Put them all together in the same box and the long lived bits risk being thrown out with the bath water. 

LOL, you need to listen to some quality DACs.  And I don't mean Chord.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dealer
39 minutes ago, meninblack said:

LOL, you need to listen to some quality DACs.  And I don't mean Chord.

Its a good job we are all different in what we like! Hey, but hold on, I thought that all competent DACs sound the same and that is why the Kii speakers can have 96 DACs or whatever and not be bothered by considerations about the sound of the DACs. :P

All rubbish DACs sound the same, yes.

Dealer

Ah, some might say but I couldn't possibly comment.

20 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Ah, some might say but I couldn't possibly comment.

But you invariably do!

• Like 1

Dealer
1 minute ago, Cable Monkey said:

But you invariably do!

Well there you are, at least we are all the same.

• Upvote 1