The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

robbie010

Speakers for use with Low Power Valve Amp??

My first choice speaker for this would be Audio Note but you need to have room corners that are not 8 meters apart as otherwise I would own them. Have heard most in the range at dealers and shows and had the Es at home. 

Super Wammer

I'd agree with the advice about trying with your existing speakers first.

I run a pair of ProAc Studio 140 Mk 1 floorstanders (rated at 90db sensitivity) with a 7 wpc Audion 300B power amp and don't even get halfway around the clock before it's too loud for me.  No trace of any nasties in the sound even with full-on orchestral or metal.

k

10 minutes ago, khapahk said:

I'd agree with the advice about trying with your existing speakers first.

I run a pair of ProAc Studio 140 Mk 1 floorstanders (rated at 90db sensitivity) with a 7 wpc Audion 300B power amp and don't even get halfway around the clock before it's too loud for me.  No trace of any nasties in the sound even with full-on orchestral or metal.

k

Have heard those ProAcs a few times and they sound great. 

On 12/08/2019 at 20:21, robbie010 said:

The Heathkits are billed as 10watts output, so a fairly sensitive speaker is in order. I current have Infinity Kappa 600's which are 90db but have large 10" side firing woofers which I assume will not sit well with the 10watts available. Alternatively, I have Kef LS50's but at 85db, again possibly not a great match. Finally, I have Mordaunt Short MS400's, these are probably my best bet, however, I can't find any specs for these that state the sensitivity.

All the original Mordaunt Short speakers and the later Pageant/Festival/Carnival series have simple crossovers and are easy to drive. I wouldn't see any problem there.

I'm not familiar with your Infinitys. Suck it and see.

The Kefs I would have thought would be a definite 'no,' I confess I'm not a fan, they always sound a bit constipated to me (sorry) but they seem to work better with a reasonably hefty amp behind them. A mate changed from a Copland hybrid to a Hegel driving them, still unlikely to get me particularly moist but it did seem to waken them up a bit.