Sign in to follow this  
Clownmaster

Linn Lingo 2 - service ?

Just about to purchase a new to me Linn Lingo 2 to replace a Hercules power supply

This particular Lingo 2 was made in 2004 so I was wondering if it would benefit from a service before I installed it and started using it? 

Also what would be involved in a service ?

Thanks 

Speak to

Class A Hi-Fi Servicing and Repairs
643-645 Chesterfield Road,
Woodseats.

Sheffield,
South Yorkshire S8 0RY

Tel. 0114-2588400

They have a good reputation in the Linn community

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

As the member said above Class A is the one stop shop Linn won't be interested now.

Its not really that old I had my MK 1 for over 20 years with no probs.

If it's not broken don't fix it.:whistle:

Go and buy some LPs .:minikev:

Edited by Mr Kandid

As others have said above Class A is the place to take it or send it.

Darran is a top bloke and also a authorised naim service engineer .

1 hour ago, Clownmaster said:

Many thanks all.

May just plug it in and play records !

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, Mr Kandid said:

As the member said above Class A is the one stop shop Linn won't be interested now.

Its not really that old I had my MK 1 for over 20 years with no probs.

If it's not broken don't fix it.:whistle:

Go and buy some LPs .:minikev:

I agree. If it’s ‘only’ 15 years old, it’s probably absolutely fine, but worth a chat with Darran to get his view. I had Darran service my Lingo 1 about 6 years ago. It involved replacing the capacitors and recalibration it. I can’t recall the cost, but I’m sure it was little more than £100 inc postage. In my opinion, it was well worth it.

’troll

10 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

I agree. If it’s ‘only’ 15 years old, it’s probably absolutely fine, but worth a chat with Darran to get his view. I had Darran service my Lingo 1 about 6 years ago. It involved replacing the capacitors and recalibration it. I can’t recall the cost, but I’m sure it was little more than £100 inc postage. In my opinion, it was well worth it.

’troll

Ditto in every respect.

Depending on whether and by how much certain  caps and various values have drifted off , many  folks report  quite a nice lift in sound quality after a Lingo service .

That said, this tends to be most pronounced with the older Mk1 Lingo ...so any gains may be more modest.

I'm really stretching my memory a bit here but as I remember the Lingo 2 was only a full size LK box cosmetic change the internals to a Lingo 1 were identical.

I never had my Lingo 1 serviced in over the twenty odd years I had it.

When I had a couple of other deck tweaks the strobe came out and professed all was well.

I do know a mod that was done to many when used mostly with Naim equipment there was a removal of parts done during a service with the initial part of the power supply but it may be fine as is.

Hope this helps.B|

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

I'm really stretching my memory a bit here but as I remember the Lingo 2 was only a full size LK box cosmetic change the internals to a Lingo 1 were identical.

I never had my Lingo 1 serviced in over the twenty odd years I had it.

When I had a couple of other deck tweaks the strobe came out and professed all was well.

I do know a mod that was done to many when used mostly with Naim equipment there was a removal of parts done during a service with the initial part of the power supply but it may be fine as is.

Hope this helps.B|

I think there were two versions (at least) of the Lingo 2. The first was, as you say, simply a Lingo 1 in a wider case - then they updated the board from 'through hole' mounted components to surface mount. Still the same sized board though.

The mod, as I recall, was to remove a ferrite ring (hazy memory there, though, so could be wrong!).

1425519725_lingothroughhole.jpg.5a0944e9209eb3a87f8fdd82c13b1aee.jpg632522714_LingoSMD.jpeg.dcf0b33226175f0b439ff8cd666501ac.jpeg

Edited by MickC
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Unless my memory is mistaken [often is]  there is a "mains filter" component at the original power inlet of  the old Lingo 1, which Darren changes  when he services them.

This because the item could cause a degradation of sound in other system  components  when plugged in [whether in use or not].

I've changed the main caps in my old Lingo  , but never got around to modding it.  [It's earlier than either of the board revisions in Mick's kindly posted photos ]

[This "mains filter"  issue was identified in the early 90s ...it's not a recent thing. Linn were certainly aware because  you'd catch the rep unplugging the lingo when he wanted to convince  you of  how wonderful the Karik/Numerik sounded ;) ]

Edited by Smokestack

@Smokestack Please forgive the off-topic question, but have you perchance had an opportunity to look at the Lingo 4 board to see how things have moved on? Power provided by a digitally generated sine wave, run into a DAC and then amplified ...

David

Mick C has it right on the different boards.  I don't believe the original Lingo board in the larger case was ever called a Lingo 2 by Linn.  They just ran out of the smaller cases before they were ready to release the new board.  The large chassis Lingo 1s only existed for a few months.  The Lingo 2 board used mostly surface mount components and changed a few caps to larger value but it was the same basic circuit design.  The Lingo 3 was the same board as the Lingo 2 but in the newer Majik style casework.  The Lingo 4 is a completely different design that uses a tachometer, as in the Radikal, to measure platter speed and allow the circuit to fine tune it.  It has a sine wave generated by a DSP so it can shift it slightly to do the speed tuning.

The filtering that Smokestack mentions is in the AC inlet itself.  Darran actually replaces the entire inlet with one from Linn that doesn't have the filtering as it is a real bear to take apart the filtered one and remove the components.  I believe he only does that when requested as it is mostly those with Naim electronics who have a problem with the filter.

I have rebuilt a fair number of Lingo 1s as they are getting old enough that the caps are wearing out.  I do the same service Darran does and he refers requests from North America to me.  Most of the Lingos I have rebuilt have been starting to show problems but I did have one who sent me his more as preventative maintenance.  He told me afterwards he was quite pleased with the musical improvement.  In relation to the OPs question, I have not found Lingo 2s to need servicing yet.  They still seem to be running fine.  I also think it likely Linn uprated some of the capacitors when they redesigned it.  Both Darran and I put higher grade capacitors in our Lingo and Valhalla rebuilds (we confer from time to time and have found the same parts to work best).  Some originals were being run close to maximum rating, likely shortening life.  So I would just enjoy the Lingo 2 and buy more records, as others have suggested.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 16/08/2019 at 09:06, ThomasOK said:

I have rebuilt a fair number of Lingo 1s as they are getting old enough that the caps are wearing out.  I do the same service Darran does and he refers requests from North America to me.  Most of the Lingos I have rebuilt have been starting to show problems but I did have one who sent me his more as preventative maintenance.  He told me afterwards he was quite pleased with the musical improvement.

I sent my Lingo 1 to ThomasOK for rebuild back in December, 2015. It was working fine, just old. So perhaps I'm the one to whom ThomasOK is referring. The rebuild did make a considerable sonic improvement. For the money that the rebuild cost, it pegged the "bang for buck" meter. About three months after the rebuild, I traded the Lingo in for a Radikal. Interestingly, the dealer compared my newly rebuilt Lingo 1 to his Lingo 2. He reported that the Lingo 2 sounded better.

I would just keep the Lingo 2 as is, enjoy it, and eventually trade it in for a Radikal.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this