The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Indeed, but it doesn't always go well as its expensive to implement and get right.  The MIsos weren't a huge sales success, even though you would expect them to get quite a benefit from the isobaric element.  Perhaps there's a tipping point where the cost of a single bass driver becomes outweighed by the cost of 2 drivers, the extra design effort and the complexity of the cabinet.  And vice versa of course.

The current Kudos Titan range uses isobaric loading, though only truly isobaric in the 808 model - the other models have a deliberate "leakage" around the voicecoil of the front facing driver, so they're not true isobarics.

Of course the Akubarik and 530s use isobaric loading too.

Neat use isobaric in some Momentum, Xplorer and Ultimatum models.

And maybe the fact all the drive units aren’t visible is surely a factor?  You appear to be getting less!  Obviously nobody on the Wam would think that. Just sayin’!

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, jethanger said:

I have to say that my MISOS with modest active Majik 4100s and my newly acquired ADSM/3 Katalyst sound mighty fine to me.

I did refer to their sales, not how they sound.

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, timster said:

Possibly. Or perhaps it's not a good idea in standmounts?.

BTW, here's a list of isobarics, probaby out of date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_loudspeaker

The Titan 505 seems to do well on it.  Although, as mentioned earlier, they are, strangely, not truly isobaric, but based on the isobaric principles.

I  think i have just been reco'd a cheap fix for the time being..

I hhave stands but no spikes...yeah did I say i knew nothing rally about hifi?

so some M10 spikes and some wood floor protectors could go a long way to sorting some bass out. I also was told by Linn to try for the 150w subwoofer first as it can always be resold before going   up to  a 250 or several 250s!

2 hours ago, bornjoyful said:

so anyone got 8 top 8 bottom m10 spikes and 8 skeets for sale?

I don't have any spikes or Skeets going spare but the top spikes can lead to cabinet damage if you're not careful. Isobariks are heavy! You may like to try 3/4" tap washers instead of top spikes. They do respond very well when the spikes are locked up tight and all rocking is eliminated.

Posted (edited)

sigh. I got the info from Linn this morning when i called them. They said spikes both ends!

Even spikes and skeets are beyond my ken. There are 4 holes already on the bottom speakers  and eve looks like  metal has already been int here and sawn off- see attached but looks like I need to get someone who knows more about this to just do it once I am back in Scotland

IMG-20190814-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190814-WA0007.jpg

Edited by bornjoyful

43 minutes ago, bornjoyful said:

sigh. I got the info from Linn this morning when i called them. They said spikes both ends!

Even spikes and skeets are beyond my ken. There are 4 holes already on the bottom speakers  and eve looks like  metal has already been int here and sawn off- see atttached but looks like I need to get someone who knows more abot this to jjust do it once I am back in Scotland

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOy6JvjEH9vmD05m5KQCETyhuUmaQJvJblUuP8L

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMgelPFWdEKHnhCTz3GpPJQDAUy7C658QW7dYrs

The links don't work for me.

Where are you at the moment?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bornjoyful said:

Even spikes and skeets are beyond my ken. There are 4 holes already on the bottom speakers  and eve looks like  metal has already been int here and sawn off- see attached but looks like I need to get someone who knows more about this to just do it once I am back in Scotland

IMG-20190814-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190814-WA0007.jpg

That looks to me like some sort of foot was in place and the screw has been sheared off. IIRC, these are very, very early models? Linn are correct in that the later stands had both upward and downward facing spikes. However, seem to recall later Isobariks having a hard plastic or nylon disc fitted which sat on the upper spikes. Otherwise, as has been said, the upper spikes do make a bit of a mess. Personally, I would concentrate on fitting the floor spikes to the stands and not worry about the top ones. Small pieces of blutac would be better than nothing between speaker and stand.

I like the suggestion of tap washers.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll

44 minutes ago, bornjoyful said:

added photos .

I'm in Sidmouth near Exeter.

Thanks for the photos.

It's a shame that you're in Sidmouth. It's too far away for me to have a look.

I'm sure there will be someone once I get to Scotland.

Maybe yeah just floor spikes

Yes they are prototypes. very early March 1973. very few made.as probably pre production. no numbers or signage on them at all

Posted (edited)
On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:35, ACS said:

Yes, but I'll let you explain it.

That's just lazy ! :D

OK...the "bog roll trick" was a practice conceived to more securely support a speaker in the front to back axis  on a less than rigid stand .

[The importance of a stand holding the speaker still in this respect was only recently being widely appreciated ]

You would simply wedge a bog roll/tube or something equally suitable  between the speaker  and the rear wall, thus resisting cabinet movement in reaction to the movement of the drive units.  [Took us a long time to catch  on really .   Isaac Newton had it figured out around  300 hundred years ago ]  

Edited by Smokestack

16 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

That looks to me like some sort of foot was in place and the screw has been sheared off. IIRC, these are very, very early models? Linn are correct in that the later stands had both upward and downward facing spikes. However, seem to recall later Isobariks having a hard plastic or nylon disc fitted which sat on the upper spikes. Otherwise, as has been said, the upper spikes do make a bit of a mess. Personally, I would concentrate on fitting the floor spikes to the stands and not worry about the top ones. Small pieces of blutac would be better than nothing between speaker and stand.

I like the suggestion of tap washers.

’troll

Ditto all that ...and I'd echo Troll's recommendation for Blu-tak ..it works quite well between speakers & stands and is certainly better than the speaker being able to rattle around on the framework of the stand.  Even with Briks all you need are four blobs  not much bigger  then a large pea.