weinconsi

Struggling with HDMI (ARC)

Hi together,

either I´m stupid or ...

I owned a brandnew TV (PanasonicTX-43FXW754) which has one HDMI ARC SLOT. Sound properties are set to PCM and Stereo, Viera Link is switched on. HDMI 2.0 cable is running from TV HDMI ARC slot to KEDSM (with HDMI 2.0) in one of the input slots. Within Konfig "HDMI" is enabled and when I select HDMI ARC as an input I can control the Volume via the TV handset but I can´t get any tone from the KEDSM - loudpseakers. What is wrong? May I use the KEDSM Output slot?

Thanks Christian

8 minutes ago, weinconsi said:

Hi together,

either I´m stupid or ...

I owned a brandnew TV (PanasonicTX-43FXW754) which has one HDMI ARC SLOT. Sound properties are set to PCM and Stereo, Viera Link is switched on. HDMI 2.0 cable is running from TV HDMI ARC slot to KEDSM (with HDMI 2.0) in one of the input slots. Within Konfig "HDMI" is enabled and when I select HDMI ARC as an input I can control the Volume via the TV handset but I can´t get any tone from the KEDSM - loudpseakers. What is wrong? May I use the KEDSM Output slot?

Thanks Christian

Hi Christian

I own a Panasonic TV similar to your's. My ARC channel is on HDMI2. Are you absolutely positive that you have plugged into the correct HDMI slot?

Hi Christian,

I have my TV setup with the HDMI from my HD box directly into one input on the DSM, as well as my OPPO BluRay player connected with a second HDMI input.

Then another HDMI cable from the DSM out to the TV, so all signals pass through the DSM, whether I have turned my Linn system one, or not.

If I have my DSM turned on, and select TV, then the sound comes through my Linn speakers

My TV sound will still work independently, even with the Linn system not turned on

I don't use the HDMI ARC slot.

Hope that helps

Paul

11 minutes ago, ACS said:

Hi Christian

I own a Panasonic TV similar to your's. My ARC channel is on HDMI2. Are you absolutely positive that you have plugged into the correct HDMI slot?

Thanks ACS, but where - the TV or the KEDSM? TV has 4 HDMI slots but only one with ARC - this is the one I use. KEDSM has 3 inputs and one output HDMI slots - I use one of three input slots. May I use the output slot on the KEDSM?

43 minutes ago, weinconsi said:

Thanks ACS, but where - the TV or the KEDSM? TV has 4 HDMI slots but only one with ARC - this is the one I use. KEDSM has 3 inputs and one output HDMI slots - I use one of three input slots. May I use the output slot on the KEDSM?

Hi Christian

I've had a look at the manual for your TV. The ARC output slot on your TV is the same as mine, HDMI2. This is the slot to which I was referring.

I don't have a KDSM so I cannot help you with that end of the cable. Sorry.

I have an Akurate DSM with HDMI2 board and connect my TV ARC socket to the HDMI Out socket on the DSM - that works for me. 

Also I've just looked at the Linn KDSM manual on the Linn website and can see thisimage.png.fec6c924f192e1eff9b22b336eb7cd66.png

Hope this helps

You may also want to look at this:

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/HDMI#HDMI_2.0

But I think @ae111srhas hit the nail on the proverbial!

11 hours ago, ae111sr said:

I have an Akurate DSM with HDMI2 board and connect my TV ARC socket to the HDMI Out socket on the DSM - that works for me. 

Also I've just looked at the Linn KDSM manual on the Linn website and can see thisimage.png.fec6c924f192e1eff9b22b336eb7cd66.png

Hope this helps

That´s it - so the reason I did it wrong is my age, my reading glasses aren´t strong enough 😂😂😂

Thanks ae111sr - this is clear now👍

I´ll give it a try today will report later...

If t's any consolation, I had to get my reading glasses out too O.o

Connect the DSM HDMI OUT to your TV via its HDMI Arc input.

ARC is a wonderful invention - enabling your HDMI cable to work in both directions.

If you have other sources plugged in to your DSM (Bluray etc) it will send the video to your TV.

But if you want to watch Netflix directly from your TV, it well send the audio back to your DSM for audio processing. 

Super Wammer

You live and learn!  Connecting an output to receive a signal would be a first for me too!  Obviously the ARC is the thing!

Posted (edited)

Finally I got it done and it works fine👍 (ARC needs the HDMI Output on a KEDSM)IMG_1630.thumb.jpeg.dfa92939893009f014da23d978305d51.jpeg

As you can imagine this change takes some time...😅

@PaulSurround: You might notice the Gunstigs underneath! 😉

Thank You All

Edited by weinconsi
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

You live and learn!  Connecting an output to receive a signal would be a first for me too!  Obviously the ARC is the thing!

You'd normally want to connect your TV to an HDMI Output rather than an input, or you'd never see anything, so I think the key is the term Audio Return Channel ;)

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, timster said:

You'd normally want to connect your TV to an HDMI Output rather than an input, or you'd never see anything, so I think the key is the term Audio Return Channel ;)

You can tell that all I’ve ever connected with a HDMI cable is a Blu-ray player!  Yes, the acronym did help a bit!  :-)