Sign in to follow this  
ghostofashark

Why would I not buy this LP12?

hi

I currently own a carbon esprit project turntable, the project digital preamp, an arcam a19 amp and focal 726 speakers. 

I was thinking of upgrading my turntable to an LP12. My cousin has one and it sounds great. I want to play 45 and 33. The one linked below looks good. Should I buy it? What should I consider? What upgrade elements are a must on the tables? I have a red ortofon cartridge but will upgrade. Is the price right?

Help!!! I read that certain serial numbers are better than others

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINN-LP12-TURNTABLE-LINN-SONDEK-WITH-HERCULES-II-POWER-SUPPLY-AKITO-TONEARM/323878196252?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3D3be383f51d564e8fa6dc989d5aa97ca2%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D264417796831%26itm%3D323878196252%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3A9ba83762-ba0b-11e9-9f71-74dbd18018e2%7Cparentrq%3A7285bcc816c0ac3d1879374fffdbd1ea%7Ciid%3A1

Posted (edited)

Well, it's a very early LP12 (early 1980s - you can tell by the metal belt guide and the sellers description).  The serial number appears to be 34xxx (?)  This would make it a "Nirvana" vintage, but not "Valhalla" vintage.  It also has the mk1 Akito which wasn't the best incarnation of this arm.  

You could get it Cirkusized (ouch!) by a knowledgeable dealer, which would take care of most of the issues, but might make the total cost a little OTT.

EDIT:  I wouldn't pay any more than the opening bid.

Good luck deciding.

Edited by sktn77a
  • Upvote 2

Obviously not unless there’s some authorized Linn service history to grant the all parte are in good working order.

In your shoes I’ d  buy one ,for a little more ,from a reputable fettler who will guarantee parts, labor and set-up.

• Like 1

I'd pass on this too I don't know why people are so convinced that ebay is the bargain place to go it's nonsense a really good and fair dealer is in a far better position to be filtering and grading anything that may appear as previously enjoyed.

I've often seen the offers pages from my dealer having significant bargains compared to the auction fever prices.

Most can offer a bespoke building service with provenance and warranty at a far better price than a frankendek gamble.

be careful out there.

My Dealer is Cymbiosis.:whistle: 

• Upvote 3

I totally agree with what Mr Kandid said above.

I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole.

I would never buy a LP12 from evil bay.

• Upvote 1

Brilliant advice and totally  appreciated. So I should a)spend a little more b) look for one with cirkus bearing Ings if possible c) be careful of the age and d) look for a reputable dealer.

i am in Yorkshire. Where would be best to look for a used deck?

Posted (edited)

I'd start with The Sound Organisation in York.  It has a good reputation in the Linn community.

2, Gillygate,
York, YO31 7EQ
01904 627108

Edited by Ian H

Posted (edited)

thanks Ian. inspire hifi in Chesterfield have some. I will probably email them both for advice.

Edited by ghostofashark

3 hours ago, ghostofashark said:

Cimbiosis as suggested above looks good too

Hope this gets you off to a great start.

I'm near Glasgow and have been proper dealer starved for years then I found Cymbiosis.

It doesn't take much digging round forums to find his reputation for quality and fair play.

Here is a link to his build service and remember it's your budget and choice the advice is priceless.

https://www.cymbiosis.com/product/linn-sondek-lp12-cymbiosis-build/

Hope this doesn't contravene any rules but when it's right it's right.

Be careful out there. :sofa:

• Upvote 1

Thanks Kandid. The fact that you live near Glasgow and use them tells me everything I need to know. there builds are pretty expensive but hopefully worth it.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I suggest adding House of Linn in Manchester to your list of phone calls.

The number of Linn dealers is small enough and the service that they provide is, almost always, good enough ... that it would not be a mistake to call more or less all of them.

Edited by FearOfMusic
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ghostofashark said:

Cimbiosis as suggested above looks good too

Cymbiosis is superb. They’ll build a deck to meet your budget. They have upgraded my deck over the years and are very fussy about which parts they reuse for customers wishing to buy second hand. I am able to listen to exactly what I’m interested in during demos so I can make my own mind up about the value of particular change. 

I’m sure there are other good dealers too, but I’m just reporting the excellent customer service I’ve received.  With eBay you are taking a chance, with a topnotch Linn dealer, there is no risk. 

• Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this