3 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

The N stands for Nude mounted.  The VM95EN uses a solid, nude mounted diamond whereas the 95E uses a diamond tip mounted to a metal shaft.  All things being equal a nude mounted stylus will be a bit more articulate due to lower tip mass and is sometimes more robust (I have seen a number of bonded styli where the diamond has been sheared off its mounting).  Most entry level cartridges use bonded styli including the Rega Carbon and Bias 2, Grado Black and Green, Ortofon 2M Red, etc.  With those companies cartridges you have to get into the $170 to $295 range to get a nude mounted stylus, so $119 seems pretty reasonable. 

The diamonds on the 95E and EN otherwise appear to be the same shape so should fit the groove equally well.  This series styli will also fit the K5, K9 and K18 bodies.

Now that you've distinguished it, it all makes sense.

C=conical

E=elliptical

EN=elliptical nude

ML=microlinear

SH=shibata

Edited by akamatsu

3 hours ago, stupra said:

...and bringing the thread back to subject, anyone interested in buying it?

Sorry for seemingly straying off topic, but the value of a K18 has much to do with the availability of a replacement stylus. If it can be determined that a plug and play replacement is now available in the form of an Audio Technica VM series stylus, this should made a used K18 much more valuable. I'm willing to buy a cartridge and see if the stylus does actually fit and sound right.

Edited by akamatsu

I'd been considering the AT VM750SH stylus as a replacement of suitable quality for the K18.

[Tapered cantilever, nude mounted Shibata stylus and Audio Technica, with this new range of cartridges, have reduced the compliance somewhat to better suit the sensible medium mas arms as used on the Linn and most other decent decks] 

Not cheep but potentially very  good  and maybe worth it for folks like me who seem to prefer the K18 to the Adikt for whatever reason.

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1

With regard to the K18 and other AT derived cartridges...I've sometimes thought that,  whilst nothing is perfect,  there's something about that AT generator/coil system that's inherently  musical and right .

Edited by Smokestack

8 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

With regard to the K18 and other AT derived cartridges...I've sometimes thought that, whist nothing's perfect, there's something about that AT generator/ coil system that's inherently  musical and right .

I think you’re right. A friend swears by them and will put them in anything. 

I've talked quite a bit around here about my experiences over recent months with the K18II .

I'm not claiming it to be as good or better than the NOS Arkiv Bs I've used in recent years... but was frankly staggered by just how good and musical it is.

The only reason I'm intending to have an Arkiv B rebuilt by Goldring is that the cost is not a lot more than that of a suitable high range AT stylus for the K18.

[If the rebuilt Arkiv came back sounding just a little bit better than the K18II currently does, I'd be quite happy. It should of course sound a fair bit better because what I'll get back is effectively a new mark 1 Arkiv.  

The original Arkiv was a cartridge  I truly loved in its day ...more so perhaps than the subsequent Boron. Never had the Arkiva as I left the industry just before it's launch and retired from the fray with a brand new  Arkiv B... and a couple more  in sealed boxes to keep me going. The last of these ran out of steam last year and that's when the seal was broken on the  NOS K18II   :D ]

Edited by Smokestack