I've a K18 surplus to requirements. Before I put it on the big auction site, is anyone interested? 

Super Wammer

You might get more views here, though you do need to put pictures, price and location.  

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/forum/11-private-hifi-classifieds/

Hello Nopiano, 

I have already. I am quite surprised that it's not caught some people's eye so I thought I'd open the net a little and put it here as well, in case some people don't use the classified Wigwam site. 

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, stupra said:

Hello Nopiano, 

I have already. I am quite surprised that it's not caught some people's eye so I thought I'd open the net a little and put it here as well, in case some people don't use the classified Wigwam site. 

Apologies, I’d seen that, but didn’t recheck your name!  I guess it’s a pretty niche offering, but someone will want it I’m sure.  I’ve had reasonable luck selling sundry old bits of HiFi on eBay, like packaging from old cartridges that I still had (but no actual cartridge!). Good luck with the sale!

Posted (edited)

Having worn out my last MC I've been using a "New Old Stock" K18II in an Ekos II  for a few months now.

I'd  have to admit to having never before appreciated  just  how bloody good the K18 is  ! 

[Never used one at home in  my own system before. This one had remained in its box, brand new, and  with the seal intact since the early '90s]

The problem of course  is that that you can't today buy a new stylus for it .

That said, a stylus for something  like the Audio Technica VM750 SH would fit with a little trimming of the carrier and should  work very  well.

Any of the lower cost AT styli could also be made to fit for various levels of performance, aided by the K18's high quality body & generator.

Having listened with & without... I'm not convinced that the K18's nose mounted bolt [to further  couple the stylus assembly to the alloy body] is a game changer. ...  so a K18 body at the right price could represent a very good buy for anybody with a decent turntable and looking for a lot of music for not too much  money.

In fact , I'd urge anybody looking for a good Moving Magnet to pop Stupra a message :D

[A Goldring rebuilt Arkiv will probably soon be replacing the K18 for me...but I've enjoyed every minute of listening with it...  and I'll be hanging onto it  ]

Edited by Smokestack

5 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Having worn out my last MC I've been using a "New Old Stock" K18II in an Ekos II  for a few months now.

I'd  have to admit to having never before appreciated  just  how bloody good the K18 is  ! 

[Never used one at home in  my own system before. This one had remained in its box, brand new, and  with the seal intact since the early '90s]

That said, a stylus for something  like the Audio Technica VM750 SH would fit with a little trimming of the carrier and should  work very  well.

Any of the lower cost AT styli could also be made to fit for various levels of performance, aided by the K18's high quality body & generator.

Having listened with & without... I'm not convinced that the K18's nose mounted bolt [to further  couple the stylus assembly to the alloy body] is a game changer. ...  so a K18 body at the right price could represent a very good buy for anybody with a decent turntable and looking for a lot of music for not too much  money.

In fact , I'd urge anybody looking for a good Moving Magnet to pop Stupra a message :D

[A Goldring rebuilt Arkiv will probably soon be replacing the K18 for me...but I've enjoyed every minute of listening with it...  and I'll be hanging onto it  ]

Appreciate your works Smokestack!

On 08/08/2019 at 06:10, Smokestack said:

The question of which stylus can be successfully retrofitted onto the K18 is one that needs to be wrestled to the ground. I've searched the web extensively and haven't found a definitive answer. I've seen am AT95 stylus fitted with screw hole added. I've seen a VM series stylus  (the ones with hinged stylus guard) seemingly fitted without modification, but without comment as to sound quality. Fitting is one thing. Fitting securely enough to sound good is another.

Does anyone out there have experience with this retrofit?

I have a Linn Basik with a K18 that I used on my LP12 back in the 1990s. I'd like to put the deck into service. If I can't find a way to make the K18 work, I may just buy an AT95 and be done with it.

41 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

If I can't find a way to make the K18 work, I may just buy an AT95 and be done with it.

One option is to buy an ordinary AT95E and fit a Paratrace stylus. When I first had my LP12, I kept my original Basik Plus arm and K5 body (previously used for over 20 years with my Basik TT) for a while, but fitted a Paratrace, and was very happy with the results. It took a significant arm/cartridge upgrade to replace it.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

One option is to buy an ordinary AT95E and fit a Paratrace stylus. When I first had my LP12, I kept my original Basik Plus arm and K5 body (previously used for over 20 years with my Basik TT) for a while, but fitted a Paratrace, and was very happy with the results. It took a significant arm/cartridge upgrade to replace it.

David

That would be the non-OCD solution. I think I'll just march down to my local Linn dealer and have them fit an AT-95. Then I can once and for all give up the notion of finding something to fit the k18. Decision made. Thank you for the gentle nudge.

On 08/08/2019 at 09:10, Smokestack said:

Hi,

Any of the new Audio Technica VMN95 replacement styli family will perfectly fit the K18 body with no mods at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, vicdiaz said:

Hi,

Any of the new Audio Technica VMN95 replacement styli family will perfectly fit the K18 body with no mods at all.

That is awesome! I googled the new VM cartridge from AT. It looks rather different from a K18. Sorry for being a bit skeptical, but how do you know it will fit?

I have seen a report that the VM95E is superior to the original AT95E in both the body and the stylus so you might want to go with the newer model if replacing the cartridge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/09/2019 at 10:12, ThomasOK said:

I have seen a report that the VM95E is superior to the original AT95E in both the body and the stylus so you might want to go with the newer model if replacing the cartridge.

Straying off topic a bit, but, The VM95e is $49 and made in China. The VM95en is $119 and made in Japan. I would go for the VM95en. Maybe the n stands for Nihon (Japan in Japanese.) I've just found that QC in Japan tends to be better than China.

The N stands for Nude mounted.  The VM95EN uses a solid, nude mounted diamond whereas the 95E uses a diamond tip mounted to a metal shaft.  All things being equal a nude mounted stylus will be a bit more articulate due to lower tip mass and is sometimes more robust (I have seen a number of bonded styli where the diamond has been sheared off its mounting).  Most entry level cartridges use bonded styli including the Rega Carbon and Bias 2, Grado Black and Green, Ortofon 2M Red, etc.  With those companies cartridges you have to get into the $170 to $295 range to get a nude mounted stylus, so $119 seems pretty reasonable. 

The diamonds on the 95E and EN otherwise appear to be the same shape so should fit the groove equally well.  This series styli will also fit the K5, K9 and K18 bodies.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1