al102

Looking for a decent, cheap compact amplifier - advice?

Posted (edited)

The Rotel RB 840BX 3 or 4 is a great sounding amp and will drive more difficult speakers than the NADs or Pioneer A 400.Sounds much better too.

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 1

On 05/08/2019 at 08:34, wizmax said:

Have a look here in the Classifieds

If the little cyrus is available it might well be worth having . 

• Like 1

If you're able to find a different place to put the amp then you could get a full-size amp, in which case there's quite a variety of nice-looking black integrated amps available on ebay for £60 or less.

If not, then height as well as width is going to be a real problem since every amplifier needs some room above it to allow for ventilation.

That rules out even TEAC products.

If you can compromise on height but not on width then my own experience is that TEAC products are really great, but you'd need to double your budget.

I have a TEAC AG-H380DAB receiver and it's great. There's plenty of power under the bonnet and the sound quality is fabulous.

Funnily enough, there's a TEAC AG-H380DAB in black on ebay right now. So why not take a peek?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teac-AG-H380-Reference-Amplifier-DAB-High-end-Audiophile/283570665901?hash=item420620f9ad:g:pq0AAOSwpfNdR5dE

If it's in good order then it's good value from my perspective. I would also double-check, however, whether or not the LCD display is OK.

There's also a non-receiver version on ebay, but it looks a bit battered, despite the product description.

The link is too long to include here, but it's described as a sponsored item.

It's a shame that the H300 tends to come in silver, because that's a fabulous piece of kit as well. (My son has one which I acquired for him back in January.)

Last December, I also acquired a TEAC CR-H700DAB all-in-one unit for my sister-in-law and that is absolutely wonderful. This is slightly wider and deeper but not full width.

There's also a TEAC NP-H750 integrated amp on ebay, but it appears to have had a hard life and the asking price is way too high given that it's battered and is missing its remote.

Finally on the TEAC front, there's a complete H380 system on ebay, and it might be worth asking whether or not the seller would split it up and sell the amp to you for an agreed price.

On the very small front, you might want to consider a Project Stereo Box. This is very, very small and it'll also blow your budget three times over, but your 731i speakers are probably efficient enough with 89dB sensitivity to be driven by one of these and it will fit where you want it to go.

In the end, however, I suspect that something will have to give. :(

Posted (edited)

I noticed a number of people on another forum really recommend these.  Have no personal experience, but they seem to come highly recommended - even for driving big Tannoys - and the price and dimensions might be ideal...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283114302764

Edited by jas0_0

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, jas0_0 said:

I noticed a number of people on another forum really recommend these.  Have no personal experience, but they seem to come highly recommended - even for driving big Tannoys - and the price and dimensions might be ideal...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283114302764

That's a power amp with a volume control whereas the OP requires a preamp stage as well with a minimum of three separate inputs.

It does look dinky, however.

Edited by Sotosound

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sotosound said:

That's a power amp with a volume control whereas the OP requires a preamp stage as well with a minimum of three separate inputs.

It does look dinky, however.

As I posted earlier in relation to a similar small amp, the addition of a simple source selection box for around £10 to £15 would provide all of the functionality that the OP needs.

I do though think that particular amp may fall into the 'too cheap' category. This video highlights some of the concerns I'd have over the quality of the internal components (as it shows caps exploding mid way through!)

Edited by MartinC

2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Interesting that  folks are recommending stuff  that's over 25 years old :D

Well the OP's budget of £60 somewhat limits the choice of a new or recent second hand amp, i am currently using 2 amps in my systems  that are 40 years old and they are superb driving my Quad ESL2905s and Rogers LS5/9s so why not vintage amps?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry , didn't clock the budget ....half asleep as usual.

It's all good though .A lot of that old  stuff has survived very  well ...enabling folks to put together really nice sounding "retro" systems for little more than peanuts.

...and I have to admit that I could  still listen to an old  Rega through a creek 4040 and a pair of Royds all day long  ]

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, MartinC said:

As I posted earlier in relation to a similar small amp, the addition of a simple source selection box for around £10 to £15 would provide all of the functionality that the OP needs.

I do though think that particular amp may fall into the 'too cheap' category. This video highlights some of the concerns I'd have over the quality of the internal components (as it shows caps exploding mid way through!)

Good little review.  Interesting that the replacement seemed to have higher rated capacitors.  For another fiver it would be fine, I’m guessing!   Would have been curious to see measured distortion and power output though.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sotosound said:

Ah yes - my bad...  Got blinded by my excitement over the size and price. 

Edited by jas0_0

Thanks all! Age of the kit doesn't worry me if it works. Currently looking at a few.

Not one for the purists perhaps, but does anoyne have experience of the Cambridge Topaz AM5 too? There's one for sale very near me within budget but it's not something anyone's mentioned on here so I'm thinking not great?