vintageaxeman

Switching between SPDIF RCA sources

Super Wammer

My DAC has one SPDIF RCA input, one Toslink input, and one USB input. I have three source devices with SPDIF outputs. What is there that can help me switch between the sources please?

Super Wammer

Not sure if anyone makes a specific unit for this but in principle it is just an RCA switching box which are made for Video / AV switching . See the below unit which is Four inputs in to one output. Looks decent enough but if you are one of those consumed by Foo then it may not meet Audiofool standards . I personally would not be bothered as it just solves the issue for not much money and i am sure it will work suitably .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SDS-Switcher-Composite-Selector-Consoles-Yellow/dp/B017K5C316/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Rca+switching+box&qid=1564567879&s=gateway&sr=8-10

Assuming a basic switch will do I'll say I bought one of these recently and am happy with it. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000I8OOS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its metal case means it has a bit of weight and so isn't pushed around by cables and the rotary switch has a quality feel when it clicks into each position. Whether is sounds any different to the plastic push-button type I wouldn't like to say.

I'll add that I bought the one I did with the view that if I decided I wanted to upgrade the switch down the line then I'd have a good case in which to do this. In practice I'll bet I never will though.

Super Wammer

You two guys are thinking exactly along the same lines as me.  WHat more do I need?  In fact, this is a case where LESS is MORE. It just needs to be a high quality switch, switching between 3 RCA input sockets and one output socket. 

I did in fact find a slightly more expensive BNC switch, designed for camera use. That was an interesting thought, bandwidth wise....

And I also found an auto sensing SPDIF switches....

Super Wammer

Sorry,Martin, only just saw your reply.Actually I have found a couple of purpose designed units. One is from Audio Authority in the USA. It is designed to switch SPDIF.So that's what I'm going for.

• Like 1