Posted (edited)

Thought it might be fun and interesting for the forum members to share what is playing on their LP12. I have only had my new LP12 for about a month or so and have been getting used to how it behaves and presents itself in my system. I must say it has been quite interesting to compare a CD version of a given recording with its vinyl counterpart. So here goes my first mini review.

• Artist: Moby
  • Album: Play
  • Label: Vinyl Me Please | Jan 2018
  • Format: 2LP | 33.3 | translucent turquoise
  • Type: Electronica

After learning about this release I was able to order it off of Discogs for a fair price. I have been listening to the CD release since it originally came out in 1999 and it definitely has a lo-fi vibe but infused with all sorts of cool synth sounds, percussion, and unique vocal tracks.  Somewhere along the way Moby had lost and then regained the rights to the album. He decided to rerecord and remaster the album which apparently became the source of this release. Release notes cite Moby was involved with the approval of test pressings and wanted to make sure it was done correctly.

How does it sound? On my system I have been quite surprised how organic this album sounds in comparison to the original release. From top to bottom the the albums plays with an authority that I had not heard until it took a spin on the new LP12. For me one of the most impressive things is just how solid the low end is. Tight and well rounded without being flabby. Contrasting this is a top end that is is crisp, clear and well defined without being edgy in any way. Spatial cues are better than ever with wonderful front to back details. While I did not know what to expect when I bough the album, I was more than pleasantly surprised with the quality and vibe of the recording. Good for light out listening.

The quality of the vinyl I received is top notch. It appears and plays close to perfectly flat. There are almost no pops and ticks in my copy or what is there will hopefully be removed by an ultrasonic cleaner and not physical damage to the groove. I find I like colored vinyl and the one chosen here is very cool - especially for the type of music offered. If I had to ding the packaging in any way it would have been to include a nice dual gatefold. As it stands it is a single sleeve. The 2LPs are packaged individually but when placed in the main jacket it feels a bit on the tight side. 

In conclusion if you like Moby this is an album worth checking out. Very creative and interesting and does not get boring on subsequent listens. I feel the album never sounded better and find the CD hard to go back too after several complete plays of the new mixes. Worth the effort to get a copy for fans of the genre. 

Your turn...what would you recommend to check out?

1.jpg

Edited by macfan
  • Like 1

For what is worth "my" in the thread title really means yours as well not just "my" literally. If anyone would like to chime in on cool discoveries or all time favs that would be great.

Posted (edited)

Not sure that the threads quoted above are what the OP had in mind. A list of pictures of album covers doesn’t really convey what the listener enjoyed about the records, or indeed what the vinyl version brought to the party. I’d be very interested to read about these aspects so here’s my contribution. 

At a loose end this afternoon I played some Carly Simon LPs on my recently Radikaled LP12.  Specifically, Torch, Come Upstairs and Hotcakes.  None of them are reissues and all were original albums purchased from charity shops. They were cleaned with my cheap and cheerful ultrasonic cleaner. I’d never played them before with any degree of attention, but they sounded fabulous. I don’t know what it is about 70s and 80s pressings but they sound wonderful. The production/engineering is fantastic and they sound every bit as good, if not better than, modern heavyweight remasters. I hadn’t realised what an excellent song writer and performer Carly Simon is. Well worth picking up if you spot any in a second hand shop.  

Edited by Muffin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:55, Muffin said:

... I don’t know what it is about 70s and 80s pressings but they sound wonderful. The production/engineering is fantastic and they sound every bit as good, if not better than, modern heavyweight remasters. I hadn’t realised what an excellent song writer and performer Carly Simon is. Well worth picking up if you spot any in a second hand shop.  

That's perfectly normal Muffin . "Modern heavyweighr remasters " seldom sound as good  the original or early  pressings....for quite a few reasons . 

Some are, quite  frankly, appalling .

That said , I was pleasantly surprised by the newly  released  re-master of Rory Gallagher's first solo album , which appears to have been done by somebody with a modicum of taste and an understanding of  what he was doing .:D

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1