terryg1

Bluetooth

Super Wammer

Afternoon guys and gals I'm looking to up grade my very humble Bluetooth receiver but what do I go for ? Thinking of spending around £300/ £400 new or used I use Spotify as my main music platform I've got a mo jo DAC so would that help the sound thank you for reading this post PM. Welcome 👍👍

Posted (edited)

Scrap Bluetooth. It’s cr4p. 

Buy a dedicated streamer. 

For your budget you could buy a Bluesound Node / Cambridge CXN (2nd hand), or similar. 

Proper streaming will p1ss on Bluetooth in terms of sound quality. 

In fact, if you have/use a DAC - just spend £20 on a Chromecast Audio!!

**edit just reread. You have a Mojo. Buy a Chromecast Audio. Best £20 you’ll ever spend. It casts Spotify to hifi via 3.5mm to RCA cable connection, but uses your WiFi rather than Bluetooth which is lossy. 

Edited by Amormusic
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Amormusic said:

**edit just reread. You have a Mojo. Buy a Chromecast Audio. Best £20 you’ll ever spend. It casts Spotify to hifi via 3.5mm to RCA cable connection, but uses your WiFi rather than Bluetooth which is lossy. 

To clarify for the OP, are you suggesting that the they use the analogue output from the Chromecast, or a digital output fed into their Mojo?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

To clarify for the OP, are you suggesting that the they use the analogue output from the Chromecast, or a digital output fed into their Mojo?

Yes.

Cheapest way to stream (properly not involving Bluetooth, which as above comment is poo) and OP already has a DAC...

The CCA DAC will be outperformed by the the Mojo. 

I was very happy with this setup for a good couple of years, before upgrading eventually my streamer. 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Run 3.5mm mini to std size optical lead from cca and all is very good. If you already have a regular optical lead the a std to 3.5mm adapter can be had for less than £2.00 via ebay/amazon. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Run 3.5mm mini to std size optical lead from cca and all is very good. If you already have a regular optical lead the a std to 3.5mm adapter can be had for less than £2.00 via ebay/amazon. 

Yes. It’s such a cheap and incredibly effective upgrade. You will massively notice the difference compared to Bluetooth. 

Super Wammer

Thank you all for your advice do I nead to buy a caa ( 2) for the optical out and what if I want to use it away from my wi fi network ( I e next year in march ? ) 👍👍

49 minutes ago, terryg1 said:

Thank you all for your advice do I nead to buy a caa ( 2) for the optical out and what if I want to use it away from my wi fi network ( I e next year in march ? ) 👍👍

Apologies Terry, I’m missing what the question is here. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Amormusic said:

Apologies Terry, I’m missing what the question is here. 

If you mean elsewhere from your WiFi, then no it won’t work. A Chromecast Audio is WiFi dependent. 

*edit. This may not be true, I believe you can also hardwire into Ethernet (from a comment I am recalling, perhaps incorrectly) - I never did this. Please correct me if I’m wrong peoples. 

Edited by Amormusic

Super Wammer

Apparently there is a combined power and ehternet lead available for around a tenner on amazon. 

Super Wammer

Ok   I'm going to be showing some of my very humble hi fi kit at the wam show next year in march I'm already flapping around as to what to use to get my music which tends to be via Spotify via my i pad or I phone I've got a pioneer stable platter c d player which I'm bringing along as we I'm just trying to tidy things up now ( best layed plans and all that ) yet again guys thank you for your support and help 

Super Wammer

Thanks lurch and amormusic. And everybody that replies so far 

Super Wammer

Super Wammer

Will probably try a cca, thanks again all 

Super Wammer

Hi Terry if your question about using the CCA away from your home at the Wigwam Show then do not worry . Lots of rooms mine included needed the Internet to work and the hotel has Wifi that you can use . You can also get things a little more complicated by using a router connected to the Wifi and then creating a VPN in your room . If you want to do this then just ask some questions of other exhibitors nearer the tie as there is always help from all those that exhibit and visit .