Has anyone owned or heard their Haydn Grand Symphony standmouted speakers? They had rave reviews a few years ago IIRC.

A mate of mine briefly had the ones where the tweeter sat over the port and the bass cone was transparent, and possibly ridged.  The cabinet was beautiful. Unfortunately there was a quality to the treble I couldn't put up with for long. It most obviously made itself known through very splashy cymbals, it reminded me of a few headphones I've owned with a similar issue I've had to move on.

Funnily enough my mate hadn't noticed it, nor did reviews of the headphones I'm thinking of, so it may be quite a personal thing.  Conversely, he seems to be more sensitive to something he calls "glare", mainly from digital sources, than I do. Just saying as YMMV.

Super Dealer
4 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Has anyone owned or heard their Haydn Grand Symphony standmouted speakers? They had rave reviews a few years ago IIRC.

I have a used pair of these just come in secondhand. You are more than welcome to have a listen to them, I think for the money there is little to dislike (£425)

https://guildfordaudio.co.uk/products/product/671-vienna-acoustics-haydn-grand-loudspeakers

1 hour ago, Guildford Audio said:

I have a used pair of these just come in secondhand. You are more than welcome to have a listen to them, I think for the money there is little to dislike (£425)

https://guildfordaudio.co.uk/products/product/671-vienna-acoustics-haydn-grand-loudspeakers

Probably more than a coincidence :geek:

3 hours ago, Guildford Audio said:

Just curious.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Lawrence001 said:

A mate of mine briefly had the ones where the tweeter sat over the port and the bass cone was transparent, and possibly ridged.  The cabinet was beautiful. Unfortunately there was a quality to the treble I couldn't put up with for long. It most obviously made itself known through very splashy cymbals, it reminded me of a few headphones I've owned with a similar issue I've had to move on.

Funnily enough my mate hadn't noticed it, nor did reviews of the headphones I'm thinking of, so it may be quite a personal thing.  Conversely, he seems to be more sensitive to something he calls "glare", mainly from digital sources, than I do. Just saying as YMMV.

That's odd as I would describe the VA house sound as reasonably rolled off, warm, easy listening. I had some Beethoven Baby Grands and they were lovely. A bastard to position though.

Edited by Warszawa

10 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

That's odd as I would describe the VA house sound as reasonably rolled off, warm, easy listening. I had some Beethoven Baby Grands and they were lovely. A bastard to position though.

When WHFI review their gear years ago they were pairing them with Cyrus kit. Lawrence's comment about them sounding 'splashy'does seem a bit strange. 

I'd certainly like to hear a pair again to see if it was just a one off issue.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

When WHFI review their gear years ago they were pairing them with Cyrus kit. Lawrence's comment about them sounding 'splashy'does seem a bit strange. 

That’s because Cyrus were the importer at the time. Far better kit out there to pair them with

9 hours ago, radiant red said:

That’s because Cyrus were the importer at the time. Far better kit out there to pair them with

All a bit odd. If the VAs sound a little splashy surely pairing them with like-minded kit is not recommended IMO.

Two quick thoughts:

1) All speakers made by the same manufacturer don't sound the same.

2) One person's experience in one room at one listening position and with one pair of speakers  and one set of driving equipment doesn't tell you about all the other possible connotations. Hearing varies too come to that too.

I'm just saying don't get hung up on whether Lawrence's experience matches other thoughts/evidence or not.

• Upvote 1