joolz

Puritan Mains Purifier - anyone tried

Morning,

Had a chat with the MD at Cranage, and a few of the exhibitors were using them. Anyone have any actual experience with these, and if so what did they replace ?

Super Wammer

Joolz, do you want me to bring my Power Inspred AG1500S mains regen unit to your BO to give it a try?? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, joolz said:

Morning,

Had a chat with the MD at Cranage, and a few of the exhibitors were using them. Anyone have any actual experience with these, and if so what did they replace ?

Not too much risk if you fancy trying it in your system as apparently the company offer a money back guarantee if it fails to impress. 

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Joolz, do you want me to bring my Power Inspred AG1500S mains regen unit to your BO to give it a try?? 

Thanks John, i may have sorted by then but it could be an interesting comparison

Posted (edited)

I'm also currently using an AG 1500 and am impressed with the extra clarity it provides, particularly at both frequency extremes. So  If you end up doing a comparison then it would be interesting to know your conclussion. 

Edited by wHIZZY
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, joolz said:

Morning,

What issues are you experiencing that makes you want one?

47 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

What issues are you experiencing that makes you want one?

No issues at all, but that doesn't mean things couldn't be improved

Dealer

@joolz I will be interested to see what you conclude about the Puritan.

The mentioned Power Inspired AG 1500 are well recommended by users but I bought one of them (the AG 1500S) and sent it back because I felt it added a harshness to the top end.

3 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

@joolz I will be interested to see what you conclude about the Puritan.

The mentioned Power Inspired AG 1500 are well recommended by users but I bought one of them (the AG 1500S) and sent it back because I felt it added a harshness to the top end

If anything I found the opposite with my gear were it just seemed to produce more clarity without causing any hardening but then it often seems to be about synergy between equipment. 

Dealer
5 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

If anything I found the opposite with my gear were it just seemed to produce more clarity without causing any hardening but then it often seems to be about synergy between equipment. 

Yep, and we all have different mains supplies with different neighbours / factories / offices etc etc on the same supply so it is not surprising that we get different results.

• Upvote 1

very true , i also had a look at the puritan stuff 2 years in a row. He is gradually becoming more well known . And some of his blocks have a built in DC blocker about a third of the price of some well known competitors 

15 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Yep, and we all have different mains supplies with different neighbours / factories / offices etc etc on the same supply so it is not surprising that we get different results.

I'm currently tidying up a page on the new site on the Living Voice Battery Power Supply.

IIRC, part of the rationale for developing this was that when they first moved into Harrington Mill, the sound was crap at certain times of day which they realised was linked to some of the industrial processes going on in the factories round about. Hence the impetus to get themselves off-grid.

Since I buy a lot of stuff from Sunspel, who are just round the corner from LV, it does amuse me slightly to think that them beavering away on my t-shirts may be a contributor to the crap on LV's mains.

I suspect any suggestion of one of those awful Tacima power strips would not be well-received...

• Like 1

Different issues, different power requirements and different solutions.

In an ideal world, regeneration or battery supply. I've heard what the latter does at Definitive. The problem of course is the ability to supply enough current, particularly to deal with large transients, and the associated costs. Hence why filtering (or better, filtering combined with transformer coupling) is more widely used and available.

I don't worry here, because the mains is clean enough for any competent power supply to handle, but I've had first-hand experience of it. Exhibiting at Scalford when it was busy made it more a necessity than a luxury.

Yes,

I posted this up not to have a discussion as to the merits or otherwise of any mains 'treatments' (i wasn't trying to go down that rabbit hole), but any Puritan experience in particular.

1 minute ago, joolz said:

Yes,

I posted this up not to have a discussion as to the merits or otherwise of any mains 'treatments' (i wasn't trying to go down that rabbit hole), but any Puritan experience in particular.

Er... that's not really how this works. ;-)

• Haha 1