The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Iceman 16

Does rfi makes a system sound brighter?

16 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

RF could be a factor if your equipment is extremely poorly designed .

Keith

Or if you're using a computer as a signal source.

24 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

The effect of RF noise is made audible by it causing intermodulation distortion on the audible range. No one is suggesting that one hears RF direct and to suggest that it is not an issue because the frequency of RF is outside the frequency of human hearing is to completely misunderstand the physics of what is happening.

It is not a matter of BELIEVING that RF noise is an issue. It is a fact which is well understood.

Indeed. Hearing the effect of having it removed or greatly reduced – and it's only really noticeable by its absence – is quite an interesting experience.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

All I know is some kit is better at rejection than others - I experimented with pre to power cables unshielded made from 300 ohm ribbon feeder cable (between my audionics and hafler way back when) and to my ears it sounded better than the phono cables avaiable at the time (1979/80). 

I bought a Quad 405 to use for the foldback in the band I was playing in and stuck it into the hifi in place of the Hafler to hear what it sounded like (as you do ) .. and was impressed with Radio Moscow or some foreign radio station reception that ensued.  This disappeared when I plugged in some shielded cables.  So I can say from experience a Quad 405 is susceptible to RF.

I have often wondered if shielding speaker cables would be of benefit but as the signal is mainly passing from the amp to the speakers decided that if there is RF present it is hardly likely to be amplified (and create noise).. Whether it makes its way back to the amp and in some way works its way round to the ampification bits and then pumped back to the loudspeakers god only knows, but as it all sounds fab to my ears I really couldn't be arsed to find out.

Bugger all to do with RF but impedance has an affect to and if you want to read about the affect of impedance and cables this may prove interesting http://whirlwindusa.com/support/tech-articles/high-and-low-impedance-signals/)  there again you might not :D 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I bought a Quad 405 to use for the foldback in the band I was playing in and stuck it into the hifi in place of the Hafler to hear what it sounded like (as you do ) .. and was impressed with Radio Moscow or some foreign radio station reception that ensued.  This disappeared when I plugged in some shielded cables.  So I can say from experience a Quad 405 is susceptible to RF.

What I and Fourlegs have referred in this context to isn't about Johhny Foreigner's radio stations or the odd stray taxi passing the door.

Rather it's a result of the electro-magnetic multi-network soup we virtually all swim in these days. It can also be mains-borne and generated in some instances by the equipment itself. While it doesn't appear to manifest as audible interference, it's nevertheless a quite noticeable difference when you start to address it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

What I and Fourlegs have referred in this context to isn't about Johhny Foreigner's radio stations or the odd stray taxi passing the door.

Rather it's a result of the electro-magnetic multi-network soup we virtually all swim in these days. It can also be mains-borne and generated in some instances by the equipment itself. While it doesn't appear to manifest as audible interference, it's nevertheless a quite noticeable difference when you start to address it. 

Electromagnetic interference (EMI), also called radio-frequency interference(RFI) when in the radio frequency spectrum, is a disturbance generated by an external source that affects an electrical circuit by electromagnetic inductionelectrostatic coupling, or conduction. The disturbance may degrade the performance of the circuit or even stop it from functioning. In the case of a data path, these effects can range from an increase in error rate to a total loss of the data.[ Both man-made and natural sources generate changing electrical currents and voltages that can cause EMI: ignition systemscellular network of mobile phones, lightningsolar flares, and auroras (Northern/Southern Lights). EMI frequently affects AM radios. It can also affect mobile phonesFM radios, and televisions, as well as observations for radio astronomy and atmospheric science.

Ahhhhhhhhh I did a wikki search .. you meant EMI .. as RFI only refers to those noises in the radio frequency spectrum .. forgive my confustion .. I was referring the RFI in the radio spectrum :D 

Dealer
26 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Ahhhhhhhhh I did a wikki search .. you meant EMI .. as RFI only refers to those noises in the radio frequency spectrum .. forgive my confustion .. I was referring the RFI in the radio spectrum :D

Well, I am mainly talking about RFI. Typically in the 2GHz to 4GHz area and that is the area where my RF filtering cables are tuned to have maximum effect. 

As Not Even says, the most startling demo is with and without RF filtering in the system. A typical application is to filter between a source such as a CD player and a dac. One customer of mine has a Cyrus CD player and dac and he tells me the effect of rf filtering has been a revelation in his system. 

No.  Shit speakers make systems sound bright.  But so many audiophiles buy them anyway. :roll:

• Upvote 1

Dealer

there is a difference between RF harshness which is distortion and top end emphasis which is a frequency response issue. 

14 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

One customer of mine has a Cyrus CD player and dac and he tells me the effect of rf filtering has been a revelation in his system. 

If that is who I think it is, I would hardly call him a credible or reliable source!

31 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Well, I am mainly talking about RFI. Typically in the 2GHz to 4GHz area and that is the area where my RF filtering cables are tuned to have maximum effect. 

Hi,

What is the construction of the RF filtering cables ?

Regards,

Shadders.

Dealer
25 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

If that is who I think it is, I would hardly call him a credible or reliable source!

No, it isn’t who you think it is (and I know who you think it is!).

• Haha 1

Dealer
9 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Nice try, I could tell you but then I would have to kill you. 

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

What's that got to do with it? Are you questioning the fact that RFI exists? Or that it is audible? Or that it can be dealt with by a competent cable design?

And Fourlegs just beat me to it!

Edited by TheFlash
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fourlegs said:

Nice try, I could tell you but then I would have to kill you. 

Hi,

The issue is that any RF filtering cable that has inductance attached will affect the audio band frequency response. It is not trying to ascertain your "secret", but simply to indicate that any RF reduction technique using passive components such as ferrite beads (inductances) will affect the audio band as well as reducing the RF.

Regards,

Shadders.

Super Wammer
Just now, Shadders said:

Hi,

The issue is that any RF filtering cable that has inductance attached will affect the audio band frequency response. It is not trying to ascertain your "secret", but simply to indicate that any RF reduction technique using passive components such as ferrite beads (inductances) will affect the audio band as well as reducing the RF.

Regards,

Shadders.

Do you have related experiences you'd like to share?