plasticpenguin

What's the point?

What's the point of modern stanmounters being so bloody deep? Totally undertsand they want to eek out as much bass as possible, but given how many of these are tricky to place in a smallish room, by the time you add in the height of stands you're probably better off with compact floorstanders.

This has been a long-time gripe with me.

• Like 1

Largely due to the Fashion for narrow baffles - which also affects floor-standers. It also introduces compromises on the size of the drivers with 6 1/2” being usual maximum. This in turn often means ported cabinets to produce the required bass as opposed to sealed - another compromise IMHO. 

19 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

What's the point of modern stanmounters being so bloody deep? Totally undertsand they want to eek out as much bass as possible, but given how many of these are tricky to place in a smallish room, by the time you add in the height of stands you're probably better off with compact floorstanders.

This has been a long-time gripe with me.

My EPOS 14 stands are really quite wide at the bass, wider than most floor standing speakers. So the only real benefit of having stand mounted speakers is they look less bulky as the bottom half is mostly air (within the stand).

Oh, and amplifiers, who needs them...just get a pair of active floorstanders :D

1 hour ago, Bodgit said:

My EPOS 14 stands are really quite wide at the bass, wider than most floor standing speakers. So the only real benefit of having stand mounted speakers is they look less bulky as the bottom half is mostly air (within the stand).

Oh, and amplifiers, who needs them...just get a pair of active floorstanders :D

Knobs and buttons and quirky flashing lights. Most of us are still little boys.