Tim F

Classifieds - I would buy this if....

Recommended Posts

Forgot I posted this lol 

Great points all :). I kept my question neutral.... 

The Chronicles nailed it 

They do my nut in...because you know, even if they did have the money (which they probably do) and they haven't just bought XYZ (and if they have they have enough capital to buy this), they wouldn't anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I'd buy this if you lived on my street but you live xx miles away and I don't drive" (and even if they did, they still wouldn't).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, norliss said:

"I'd buy this if you lived on my street but you live xx miles away and I don't drive" (and even if they did, they still wouldn't).

lol, yes I love the 'i'd buy this if you where closer'....cause ya know, billions of parcels don't get send worldwide through courier networks on a daily basis any anything like that. I mean, that would just be insane.

Edited by The Chronicals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lostwin said:

Well that has made me a bit paranoid! (You were just referring to the exotic cables, weren’t you...?)

Just did a check of your set up - all good (very good in fact) in my book :) (not so sure about the gold fuses or exotic mains cables though).  I  cannot think when you sit back and listen to your set up you are Paranoid at all (well perhaps a bit when playing Black Sabbath Paranoid).  Definitely a system I could sit back and enjoy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

lol, yes I love the 'i'd buy this if you where closer'....cause ya know, billions of parcels don't get send worldwide through courier networks on a daily basis any anything like that. I mean, that would just be insane.

Not as insane as relying on a parcel delivery company to transport expensive hifi kit ;).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Not as insane as relying on a parcel delivery company to transport expensive hifi kit ;).

I wonder how all the online stores do it. I wonder how my 5k amplifier got to my house from Italy. Crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps we should do a HIFI version of room 101 👍🏻

Edited by radiant red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

I wonder how all the online stores do it. I wonder how my 5k amplifier got to my house from Italy. Crazy. 

For me a new purchase is a very different story to second hand. Due to a combination of better packaging, typically premium delivery options and better financial protection if the item does get damaged.

Additionally I'd generally actually want to hear a secondhand item prior to agreeing a purchase anyway so overall I'd be very reluctant to buy most items if they weren't within reasonable driving distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MartinC said:

For me a new purchase is a very different story to second hand. Due to a combination of better packaging, typically premium delivery options and better financial protection if the item does get damaged.

Additionally I'd generally actually want to hear a secondhand item prior to agreeing a purchase anyway so overall I'd be very reluctant to buy most items if they weren't within reasonable driving distance.

'Typically premium delivery options'.

Couriers are couriers, you can choose who you want to use, premium or not.

'Better financial protection'

Sure the emphasis is on the company selling it, but if you insure your delivery with a third party handler that specifically insures Hifi, or in fact a courier that does, theres no real issue, and ensure you pay by PayPal and package correctly.

'Listening before purchase'.

You can do this on Skype to check functionality, and also inspect condition

Of course its personal choice wanting to collect, but is sure does restrict things for yourself, and no need to say it on someones selling post, which is what this 'annoyances' thread is about..

Edited by The Chronicals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

'Typically premium delivery options'.

Couriers are couriers, you can choose who you want to use, premium or not.

Generally the seller is in control rather than the buyer, although I'll acknowledge this doesn't have to be the case. Not that I personally know I company I would trust.

2 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

'Better financial protection'

Sure the emphasis is on the company selling it, but if you insure your delivery with a third party handler that specifically insures Hifi, or in fact a courier that does, theres no real issue, and ensure you pay by PayPal and package correctly.

Any claim is at minimum likely to involve significant time and effort, and with secondhand gear it is always going to be far more complicated than for new purchases since the condition prior to posting will always be open to more question.

2 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

'Listening before purchase'.

You can do this on Skype to check functionality, and also inspect condition

Skype may offer good enough sound quality for you, but not me ;).

I wonder if we'll ever find anything we can agree on? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, uzzy said:

Just did a check of your set up - all good (very good in fact) in my book :) (not so sure about the gold fuses or exotic mains cables though).  I  cannot think when you sit back and listen to your set up you are Paranoid at all (well perhaps a bit when playing Black Sabbath Paranoid).  Definitely a system I could sit back and enjoy. 

TT apart, all made up from Wammers cast offs through the classifieds 😀

Joking apart, i’m sure there are all sorts of reasons why people move kit on and if you buy well second hand then items often retain their value if you do want a change.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.