mr neds

Proac tablette style speakers- name that tweeter?

Did a bit more exploring and it gets more curious! The rear port, which is approx. One and a half inch diameter, is around four inches long, or so I thought, until I discovered that it’s joined to a second section at a right angle, which adds another six inches to the tube. Is this some kind of bonkers micro transmission line? They sound pretty good in the midrange, but occasionally hard and thin, though I can’t relate this to the port tube. Are there any speaker building experts on the Wam??

I'm no expert but I have made a few DIY speakers. I'm quite curious about these speakers I must admit, having built some similarly sized speakers myself. I have done a quick simulation using the driver parameters published by SEAS. With a 35mm duct, 250mm long, you get a port tuning of 55Hz. The builder has had to put a bend in to fit the port within the enclosure.

I tool a punt at the internal volume being about 3.5 litres - if you could tell me the external dimensions and cabinet wall thickness I can refine the analysis a bit.

Have you looked at the crossover?

Edited by bobovox

Hi Robert. Just the kind of person I was looking for! I’ve given imperial measurements up to now, because I think that’s what the builder used, but in cm. dimensions are 17 w, 23 d, 29h. This includes 3mm thick wood effect laminate boards on the top,bottom and sides. The panels are made of 2cm thick ply. The crossover is buried under wadding and acoustic foam, but I’ll try to get at it later. I’d assumed that this was built from a kit, but after the port tube discovery, I think maybe not. There’s no history, unfortunately- I bought them from a guy on EBay who makes turntable plinths, who apparently took them as a trade in. The drivers are worth what I paid for them, but I don’t know how well they’ve been designed? Any ideas would be most welcome. Also, I’m a SE Londoner too!

Cheers, Neds

The tablets used a ScanSpeak d2008 series tweeter but with a foamed recess on the faceplate. It’s a 19mm soft dome and I quite like it. Yours is a 25mm Audax soft dome if a relative of the TWO25 series?

if the are badged as a tablette clone and the faceplate recess is the correct size I’d be tempted to try the Proac type tweeter. Although at £60 each it’s an expensive experiment.

Nice to see some replies rolling in! Sorry, I was reading the serial number on the tweeter- it’s a TW025M0. Yeah, I’d be tempted to try the Scanspeak, but, as you say, a pricey investigation for the price I paid for them. The way they are at the moment, it’s the SEAS unit that’s defining the sound, so I doubt that the improvement would be night and day. As the writing on the back says “based on” , they’re not really a tablette clone as such. If anything, they’re probably closer in size to an LS 3/5a?