Hi there 

I’m still fairly new to the Linn family. 

I curently own a Malik DSM/2 and a lp12. Both second hand. They drive a pair of Malik 140. Brand new. 

I now have the opportunity to bye a second hand Malik 6100 power amp at a reasonable price. 

And now for my question. Is possible to upgrade the DSM and 6100 to active? The two together have 8 channels which should fit my 140s that are a 4-way design. Can I install the 8 active cards needed (6 in the 6100 and 2 in the DSM)?  And how about the speakers. Do they need to be modified for this to work? Or  am I totally wrong?

good summer everybody:-)

cheers 

Jesper - Copenhagen, Denmark 

Activ cards only fit in power amps, not the DSMs. So you'd need 2 4100s, or a 6100 and a 2100 I'm afraid. If you buy new, linn will throw the active cards in for free:

Plus when you buy any Akurate or Majik amp for upgrading to Aktiv, we'll include the Aktiv Cards you need for your particular speakers, at no extra charge.

Your 140s would need converting to Activ (which is a simple thing to do, but you need to know what you're doing).

Do you have the upgrade stands by the way? Well worth it if not ;)

Thanks a lot for the input Timster. 

Do you think I will gain anything worth mentioning by bi- or tri-amping?

and you mention the upgrade stand for the speakers. It that a upgrade I should seriously think about?

57 minutes ago, timster said:

Activ cards only fit in power amps, not the DSMs. 

In the case of Majik DSM I beg to differ. It will hold active cards for two channels. To actively run your M140 you then need to add another six channels, for instance a M6100. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot for the input Timster. 
Do you think I will gain anything worth mentioning by bi- or tri-amping?
and you mention the upgrade stand for the speakers. It that a upgrade I should seriously think about?

This is just my opinion. I was running my Kabers tri-amped with a c3200/c5100 and then for a short time with my c5100 and the mdsm/1 outputs.

Just before going aktiv I tried my Kabers with just the c3200 and a single wire connection which somehow seemed to flow really easily. I can see why some people (especially on the lejonklou forum) believe that a single wire setup with a good passive amp Amy sometimes sound better.

Presently I’m running my Kabers aktiv with c3200 for tweeters and c5100 for mids and bass.

IM LOOKING TO FIND A SECOND C3200 non Dynamik or a 4200/d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, HansBertil said:

In the case of Majik DSM I beg to differ. It will hold active cards for two channels. To actively run your M140 you then need to add another six channels, for instance a M6100. 

It can? The website makes no mention of that - it only says they will fit in akurate or majik "power amps". I don't think I've heard of cards for the DSM.

1 hour ago, Fullauto said:

Absolutely.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, timster said:

It can? The website makes no mention of that - it only says they will fit in akurate or majik "power amps". I don't think I've heard of cards for the DSM. 

I remember one Linn representative mention this at a demo. But I can be mistaken. Furtermore I saw one ad in a classified section selling an active M140 system comprising a MDSM and a M6100. The latter was enough "evidence" for me to write the post. ;)

Edited by HansBertil

I have driven my 140s with a Majik DSi and a Majik 6100. The uppgrade from passiv to aktiv was huge (but not even close to going Exakt).

9 hours ago, Ahultin said:

I have driven my 140s with a Majik DSi and a Majik 6100. The uppgrade from passiv to aktiv was huge (but not even close to going Exakt).

Thanks everybody 

now the question is does the Majik DSM/2 support two active cards?

46 minutes ago, Fullauto said:

Thanks everybody 

now the question is does the Majik DSM/2 support two active cards?

Hans seems to think yes. I don't know about that. But, if you look in LinnDocs (https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Majik_DSM_(Exakt_Variant) there is a link to "Activ operation". But the link doesn't go anywhere.

So we're none the wiser!

12 minutes ago, timster said:

Hans seems to think yes. I don't know about that. But, if you look in LinnDocs (https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Majik_DSM_(Exakt_Variant) there is a link to "Activ operation". But the link doesn't go anywhere.

So we're none the wiser!

Yes, I was into that dead end too.

Ahultin has had room for the cards in the DSi. A call to Linn helpline might give us a verdict if there is any difference between the DSi and the DSM in that respect.