Sgt Pepper

Apollo 11, 50 years ago

Every class room should watch this ……..looking back to earth in all its blue planet glory is a sight to behold,

let alone the magnitude of the mission.

• Like 2

The average smart watch has significantly more processing power than the on-board computers...

• Like 2

Wow ive got even more goosebumps than fifty years ago …….the eagle has landed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have to say, that was really excellent TV. It brought it all back like it was yesterday and I feel just as emotional about it as I remember feeling at the time.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Down here in NZ we had to wait for the tape to be flown over from Sydney. The actual landing was at 2:56 pm NZ time

Back then, New Zealand television had to rely on international news coming via satellite to Sydney, where it was copied on to video tape and flown across the Tasman on commercial flights, usually the next day. 

But a New Zealand Air Force Canberra Bomber happened to be in Sydney on the day of the moon landing. ABC rushed tapes to Sydney Airport, the Air Force flew them to Wellington, New Zealand Customs gave the precious cargo quick clearance and they were sped by car to NZBC's headquarters in time for the evening news. 

TVNZ's former head of news and current affairs, Rick Carlyon, a TV journalist since 1963, remembers TV technicians jury-rigging a makeshift network link the length of the country, from one main centre to the next, so all of New Zealand could watch the broadcast simultaneously. 

NZBC played the 40-minute moon landing tape twice more that night and that was the beginning of the country's first television network. 

Edited by Seakiwi
extra detail
  • Like 3

It was a great programme using the voices of the real people not actors. And a 65mm(?) film from the spacecraft  that was stored in the US National Archive that needed a new machine to allow is digitisation as it was an odd size.

The solution to the Module Arm switch breaking, the magic biro, was a bit of real pragmatic engineering. Like others I felt the tension in the key incidents such as the Arm switch, 1202 errors and manual flying with only 20 secs of fuel left even though I knew the outcome.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder whose ships the big intimidating ones spoken of were. I'd love to know.  My money is actually on other humans from a secretive group(s), sort of like Captain Nemo in space. At least I hope so, because if it was space aliens it might be a threat we can't deal with and their way of life may be unacceptable to free humans, like maybe they're commies or something.

Yes sure we are, the tango rapist lacks the visionary leadership, conviction or influence to ever deliver on that. Just like so many of the other commitments he makes. You cant fly to the moon by posting illiterate shite on Twitter, any more than you can manage a nation. Grade A Bellend supported by the dim or those who figure they can be enrichened by doing so.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

No, as it wasn't Kennedy that did it with his own hands the first time Clothy. Kennedy did demonstrate the power of leadership and that's one of many things that Trump will never do.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

........er, it won't be him that actually does it  :)

Course he will clothy, he’s a genius, Ivy League education,  knows more about astrophysics than any man alive or dead, he’s got paper, crayons and everything, all the words and stuff, sleeps just three hours a night, so make it two, job sorted.

You seriously underestimate the the sheer drive of the man, Ivanka will obviously get the contract for the space suits, hell he’ll do the Moon via Mars, he’s that good I tell ya. He’s even got a plan for getting rid of all the piss😐

Edited by TigerTiger
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/07/2019 at 11:14, Cloth-Ears. said:

I wonder whose ships the big intimidating ones spoken of were. I'd love to know.  My money is actually on other humans from a secretive group(s), sort of like Captain Nemo in space. At least I hope so, because if it was space aliens it might be a threat we can't deal with and their way of life may be unacceptable to free humans, like maybe they're commies or something.

The US bought Von Braun and his chaps, smiled at them nicely & made them US citizens. 
Just think of that..