chebby

What wireless routers are we using?

Linksys WRT1900ACS with Virgin Mediahub in modem mode.  Linksys RE6500 extender sits behind my VegaG1 so I can easily stream via Ethernet.  

Posted (edited)

My internet enters on the first floor, so use a modem/router provided by the ISP.

Then I use a switch and a pair of bridged wireless routers to get signal to the ground floor, which serves my streaming needs (HiFi and TV).

I notice* noise degradation on the HiFi when having wireless too close to it, so the ground floor router has ethernet running across the room to a switch that serves the media appliances.

*actually I noticed improvement in sound when I turned off wireless and fed with ethernet. I didn't actually hear the noise from wireless except when I compared the two options directly.

Edited by brucew268

Posted (edited)

Last month I switched routers from a 9 year old single band to a new duel band Arris router and now can get solid high speed wifi coverage upstairs where before I had to use the mainline adapter to avoid buffering.

Currently have a 100Mb connection via fibre which should increase 152Mb later this year when there is a cable upgrade to my local box.

Phone (free evening and week end calls) and 100Mb internet speed is £37 a month. 

Edited by JamieMcC

We use a TP-Link Archer V900 ii, the coverage is excellent when through four walls and down the garden about 20m away.

On 08/07/2019 at 17:46, Warszawa said:

If it aint broke...

That’s what I decided to do yesterday after re-configuring the Extreme 802.11ac and Express.

Factory resets on both. Set up network from scratch (still with Express as network extender) but set channel selection to automatic this time and moved Express nearer bedroom door.

Also ran an Ethernet cable between bedroom PC and AE whereas it had just been wireless before.

Now getting 75-78 Mbps upstairs on PC rather than the 52 Mbps we had before. S/N is now 47dB upstairs. (Which, apparently, is pretty good.)

Will probably get another (second hand) Airport Express from CEX to ‘beef up’ our conservatory coverage.

So i’ve saved a bunch of cash and (so far after 20 hours) re-optimised our existing network kit.

I find it interesting that the world of HiFi tends to apply ‘it can be improved’ to everything it comes into contact with.

Perhaps my IT background makes me think what is wrong with the free BT HomeHub6 I have? It works both cable and WiFi even if the broadband coming to it is a conn. Thankfully it also prevents me from thinking it can be better if....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Croma said:

I find it interesting that the world of HiFi tends to apply ‘it can be improved’ to everything it comes into contact with.

Perhaps my IT background makes me think what is wrong with the free BT HomeHub6 I have? It works both cable and WiFi even if the broadband coming to it is a conn. Thankfully it also prevents me from thinking it can be better if....

Unfortunately the Virgin Media wireless  ‘Super hub’ was incapable of throwing a decent wireless network any further than our living-room, so that’s why I originally set it to be a ‘dumb modem’ and bought the Apple Airport stuff.

We went to Netgear Orbi units more than a year ago, coming from an old Airport Extreme (802.11n) & Airport Express setup.  The Orbis are not a true mesh, but use a dedicated wireless backhaul (can also use ethernet) between the units.  The coverage is fantastic, across all 4 levels of the house, and quite a way down the road too.  I like them since the router and satellite both have 4 (LAN) ethernet ports.

On 10/07/2019 at 20:22, arturo said:

Linksys WRT1900ACS with Virgin Mediahub in modem mode.  Linksys RE6500 extender sits behind my VegaG1 so I can easily stream via Ethernet.  

I use a WRT 1900ACS too, running OpenWRT. I run minidlna with a 4tb La Cie USB drive via the USB port and so I don't need a separate music server NAS. I can control my KEF LS50s with Android or iPads and they get the music from the drive on the router.