geoffhan

Linn Kan Mk4 cabinet buzz

Posted (edited)

As promised. Note the pieces of scrap used as join bracing! . I am going to add some hardwood bracing in the top left and right.

20190711_200714_1562903311498_resized.jpg

Edited by geoffhan

Brilliant.

Always nice  to see a victory for a bit of common sense and a steady hand.:D

Yep. use Titebond  to stick it back  together . It's what most luthiers and instrument repairers use these days...so it should do the job very nicely.

Super Wammer
On 12/07/2019 at 08:45, HansBertil said:

Wow! :)

A rather thick baffle. 

Yes, and thin wires from terminal to crossover!

Posted (edited)

Those wires look comparable to those in my 104's and 109's.

Edited by Jail4CEOs2

Update. Well i finally managed to find time to reassemble the Kan.I fitted extra braces to the corners, now all 4 are braced rather than the original one corner.

A bit of resoldering and gluing and it is back together with no visible sign of having been opened.. I left all else the same as i don't want to open the other speaker to make the same changes. I think i was lucky to get the baffle off so easily and don't want to risk it on the other speaker ( unless a fault arises in it then i won't have a choice)

Nice to have them up and running.

The baffle is 25mm thick.

kan baffle.jpg

kan internal braces.jpg

What's the rest of the black boxes on the corner. Glad to meet another mover of speakers for domestic harmony. I use a framing square off my grout lines for fast, millimeter accurate placement, every time.

My setup was purchased new many years ago, in the last 12months i have been refurbishing it after quite a few years away from hifi.  Consists of LInn lp12 , Valhala power supply, Grace g707 arm, garrot brothers P77 mm cartridge(an australian company).  Naim nac12s preamp, nap160 power amp. SMSL m9 Dac ( using spidf cable from Fiio m9 to the dac for streaming tidal)  Other boxes are a sony minidisk player/recorder (at one stage was transfering my vinyl to minidisk for casual listening). Yamaha tuner and yamaha cd player. All similar vintage. My original speakers were Spendor Bc2's , wish i still had them but they were too big /ugly for the room (not my words)

My refurb has been mainly recapping the pre and power and new alps blue volume control, bypassing the balance and removing the soa circuit in the power amp, leaving them fairly original but in good working condition. Currently i am recapping the valhala board and tweaking the setup on the turntable. My main source at the moment is streaming tidal.

Edited by geoffhan