5 hours ago, Smokestack said:

I've always been impressed with Lyra cartridges [ ever since hearing the Clavis ...what ....30 or 35 years  ago ?]

But ...the fact that somebody prefers an alternative doesn't necessarily mean that the Lyra isn't properly set up or  loaded.

QC worries aside ...to my ear  the Krystal is a wee bit more musical & involving than the lower cost Lyras .

Though I agree with Nestor... none of them are too shabby and most of us would  likely be happy with any in isolation.

[I do get folks' worries about sagging Krystal cantilevers and premature fatigue ... but these issues are probably not as common as we might fear ]

Thank you re: Delos vs. Krystal debate.  MY preference in audio equipment leans to the rich and warm side of the sonic spectrum.  I think the Krystal is warm sounding but has nice detail etc. and is a very good match for the warmer profile of EAR phono preamps.   I know Lyra has a lot of fans and their cartridges are very popular but I'll stay with the Krystal or Dynavectors.  

Posted (edited)

I'll likely  soon be reacquainting myself with an old cartridge friend.

I'm popping one of my old Arkiv Bs off to David at Goldring for a rebuild .  It'll come back with an aluminium pipe and a nude "vital"  stylus ...so essentially as a Mk1 Arkiv.

I'm quite looking forward to it because in some respects I preferred the original Arkiv to the later variants. 

Time and your ears can play tricks  but the Arkiv for me perhaps has a sound somewhere between the Krystal & the modern Lyras.

Edited by Smokestack

Posted (edited)
On 11 July 2019 at 17:21, akamatsu said:

I'm always considering getting a Klimax Radikal. That and the Kandid are the only things missing to make my LP12 full Klimax. My Krystal is three years old now, and I'm planning ahead for when it needs to be replaced.

I would certainly like to try a Klimax Radikal in my system sometime.

There's also the little talked about upgrade of using two Radikals, supplying separately the motor and the Urika II.

Years ago I used two Radikals one on motor one on Urika.

In the end one Radikal was much better on SQ two sounded to HIFi.

Plus Radikals all come with motors so no very cost effective.

image.jpeg

Edited by Bignose5
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bignose5 said:

Years ago I used two Radikals one on motor one on Urika.

In the end one Radikal was much better on SQ two sounded to HIFi.

Plus Radikals all come with motors so no very cost effective.

image.jpeg

I recall similar comments on the Linn forum, with folk preferring one Radikal unit to two. Thank goodness too - one’s enough!

Mick

• Like 1

I'm staying with one Radikal. Nowhere on my rack to stick another one and no money in wallet to buy one - so glad to hear it would be a bad move. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 11/07/2019 at 19:13, mskaye said:

Interesting.  I have an EAR 834P and I guess loading could have been an issue. The Delos was sold to me by a Linn dealer and he knew the EAR's specs.  The Krystal is obviously a better match to the EAR without any fine-tuning of loading.  What preamp do you/did you use with a Delos and would the settings optimally be?  thanks for any insight you can offer

The phono stage is always going to be a factor with the upstream cartridge and the compatibility of same. I use a highly modded CAT SL-1 Sig with NOS Seimens in the line stage and NOS '63 JAN GE long plate 12 AX7's in the phono stage. I have a custom loading plug ( by Michael Percy) in the load position running a 750ohm Vishay. This particular load is ideal for the Kleos and with my phono stage...may not be ideal for your EAR. Experimentation is the name of the game here, but once you get it right, you will know. With Lyra's in particular, if it is wrong you don't get what you pay for...and unfortunately Lyra's are anything BUT a set it and forget it design. Minor adjustments and correct set up are what pays dividends. Too bad that the brand gets a lot of naysayers because their experience with the cartridge was swayed by imperfect set up and most importantly..loading! 

Edited by Daveyf