My LP12 consists of Radikal (AK), Keel, Ekos SE, Urika II, and Krystal. Has anyone out there upgraded from Krystal to Kandid? If so, how was the sound quality difference? When my Krystal wears out, I'll be making a decision to buy another Krystal, or to upgrade to the Kandid.

13 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

My LP12 consists of Radikal (AK), Keel, Ekos SE, Urika II, and Krystal. Has anyone out there upgraded from Krystal to Kandid? If so, how was the sound quality difference? When my Krystal wears out, I'll be making a decision to buy another Krystal, or to upgrade to the Kandid.

If funds permit then go for the Kandid.:sofa:

This isn't advice I'd freely recommend with someone else's money but since I had a Troika for a considerable number of years and " Upgraded " to Krystal unfortunately after two faulty devices in a few months it was decided to keep the deck DNA complete and with all the benefits of the three point mount , fly leads etc and being sub manufactured by Lyra it would have been a case of downgrade and make do or only here once and go for it.

I did with no regrets its tracks like a dream and has oodles of power and separation and intense clarity that never fails to make me smile.

Sometimes I'm afraid to put an album on in case it's not how I imagine it will be " but it is ".B|:whistle:

3 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

If funds permit then go for the Kandid.:sofa:

This isn't advice I'd freely recommend with someone else's money but since I had a Troika for a considerable number of years and " Upgraded " to Krystal unfortunately after two faulty devices in a few months it was decided to keep the deck DNA complete and with all the benefits of the three point mount , fly leads etc and being sub manufactured by Lyra it would have been a case of downgrade and make do or only here once and go for it.

I did with no regrets its tracks like a dream and has oodles of power and separation and intense clarity that never fails to make me smile.

Sometimes I'm afraid to put an album on in case it's not how I imagine it will be " but it is ".B|:whistle:

Of course, Mr. Kandid would be the first to reply. :D What is your LP12 configuration?

Posted (edited)

Hi it does seem like a biased answer.

I voted with my ears and wallet.9_9

LP12,Cirkus,K-Radikal,Urika,Keel,Ekos SE/1,Kandid.

I'd never recommend a Krystal to anyone now if funds are tied to that price bracket I seriously recommend a Lyra Delos or up to a Kleos in this instance.

Krystals I've found are very fickle and inconsistent I had two that went faulty and there was a big difference in the serial numbers so I didn't think it might be a batch problem.

There have been lots of other stories about collapsing suspensions and that's not including the ones that corroded with wet cleaning.

I wish I had a Krystal ball before buying it was one of the first out there.:wall:

Be careful out there.B|

Edited by Mr Kandid

Perhaps a better question would be...Kandid or Lyra Kleos. IMO, there is no doubt going from a Krystal to a Kandid, or Kleos, would be a fine upgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveyf said:

Perhaps a better question would be...Kandid or Lyra Kleos. IMO, there is no doubt going from a Krystal to a Kandid, or Kleos, would be a fine upgrade.

Absolutely agree and the Kleos was on my radar.B|

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've had both a Krystal and a Delos and without question, I prefer the Kystal.  It's richer sounding with great detail. Not as thin sounding as the Delos which I found lacked body.  Both track super quietly (as opposed to a Dynavector xx2 mk2 which had lots of groove chatter on my lp12 with aro tonearm.) The Krystal impressed me more than I thought it would.  Linn cartridges never impressed me prior to my audition of the Krystal. 

Edited by mskaye

Posted (edited)

If your Delos lacked body, this could be attributed to the wrong loading, or incorrect set up. Lyra cartridges are highly unforgiving of anything that is incorrect in set up. The new angle technology requires a great deal of exactitude in order for them to sound their best. Unfortunately, Lyra cartridges also mandate a precise loading and are not going to sound anywhere near their best if the loading is incorrect. I have noticed exactly what you state about the cartridge lacking body and sounding thin....if the loading was not correct. ( or another set up parameter). I think the Krystal is far more forgiving  in this aspect...and these parameters are a lot less crucial.

Edited by Daveyf

I get how somebody might well  prefer the Krystal to the Delos.

It is a bit warmer & "fruitier" ...not necessarily  a bad thing so long as it doesn't  compromise resolution and get in the way of the music .

Being my first LP12 and Krystal cartridge I have to say I like it. Before committing to the Krystal I had given serious consideration to the Dynavector DV20x2 and the DV XX2 MKII. In the end for this go around I decided to do the whole Linn kit. Thus far I have been very happy. Much more low end than I would have thought plus the high end cuts through very well without being shrill - at least on my system which also also has a tube preamp stage and the ability to fine tune loading.

For example, I was listening to Rush's Subdivisions the other day. The sound of the full bodied Oberheim analog synth is exactly as it should be with the the ride and splash cymbals cutting through with precise placement and level in the mix. Vocals of the day where a bit pushed back, but the overall presentation has the correct vibe to me. 

When the time comes to replace the Krystal, I will want to listen to the Kandid and perhaps it's Lyra counterpart - which is also a great Rush album actually called Counterparts. 

I prefer Krystal to my previous DV XX2 and DV 20XL, but Urika II elevated the performance of DV XX2 to narrow the gap. So far my Krystal has been problem free so perhaps Linn has fixed reliability problems. I hope so. Heard a Kandid a few times and yes that sounds even better, perhaps I’ll go that way if my Krystal wears out before I do. 

As always these are all very good cartridges as are the Lyra cartridges, I doubt anybody would be disappointed with any of them. The Krystal seems to track better than my previous DV. So for now I’m a delighted Urika II Krystal person. 

• Like 1

@akamatsu: Have you considered getting a Klimax Radikal, instead of upgrading to the Kandid?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tendaberry said:

@akamatsu: Have you considered getting a Klimax Radikal, instead of upgrading to the Kandid?

I'm always considering getting a Klimax Radikal. That and the Kandid are the only things missing to make my LP12 full Klimax. My Krystal is three years old now, and I'm planning ahead for when it needs to be replaced.

I would certainly like to try a Klimax Radikal in my system sometime.

There's also the little talked about upgrade of using two Radikals, supplying separately the motor and the Urika II.

Edited by akamatsu

On 08/07/2019 at 21:46, Daveyf said:

If your Delos lacked body, this could be attributed to the wrong loading, or incorrect set up. Lyra cartridges are highly unforgiving of anything that is incorrect in set up. The new angle technology requires a great deal of exactitude in order for them to sound their best. Unfortunately, Lyra cartridges also mandate a precise loading and are not going to sound anywhere near their best if the loading is incorrect. I have noticed exactly what you state about the cartridge lacking body and sounding thin....if the loading was not correct. ( or another set up parameter). I think the Krystal is far more forgiving  in this aspect...and these parameters are a lot less crucial.

Interesting.  I have an EAR 834P and I guess loading could have been an issue. The Delos was sold to me by a Linn dealer and he knew the EAR's specs.  The Krystal is obviously a better match to the EAR without any fine-tuning of loading.  What preamp do you/did you use with a Delos and would the settings optimally be?  thanks for any insight you can offer

I've always been impressed with Lyra cartridges [ ever since hearing the Clavis ...what ....30 or 35 years  ago ?]

But ...the fact that somebody prefers an alternative doesn't necessarily mean that the Lyra isn't properly set up or  loaded.

QC worries aside ...to my ear  the Krystal is a wee bit more musical & involving than the lower cost Lyras .

Though I agree with Nestor... none of them are too shabby and most of us would  likely be happy with any in isolation.

[I do get folks' worries about sagging Krystal cantilevers and premature fatigue ... but these issues are probably not as common as we might fear ]