Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Tin said:

before opening it up, check through Konfig what the current configuration is,most likely  it is already set as MM. 

We've probably discussed the difficulty (or not) of the job enough to give those who have not opened the case an idea of what is involved. But, as a matter of fact, the board is set to the MC position when it leaves the factory, so purchasers who need the MM input need to get their dealer to make the change. The reason I had to do the job myself was that my dealer forgot to do this after an upgrade.

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidHB said:

We've probably discussed the difficulty (or not) of the job enough to give those who have not opened the case an idea of what is involved. But, as a matter of fact, the board is set to the MC position when it leaves the factory, so purchasers who need the MM input need to get their dealer to make the change. The reason I had to do the job myself was that my dealer forgot to do this after an upgrade.

David

My turntable, when I had one, was MM and I remember I had to change the board, but I don't remember whether its previous setting was MC or Aux. No idea why the dealer hadn't changed it, probably forgotten as well.

I think I miss using the phono stage more than the turntable. I mean, it is there, being nice and all, and it just doesn't get used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidHB said:

We've probably discussed the difficulty (or not) of the job enough to give those who have not opened the case an idea of what is involved. But, as a matter of fact, the board is set to the MC position when it leaves the factory, so purchasers who need the MM input need to get their dealer to make the change. The reason I had to do the job myself was that my dealer forgot to do this after an upgrade.

David

That makes sense, as the cartridge  on the Akurate level LP12 is the Krystal, an MC.

’troll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Briain said:

Hi

I was really quite surprised at just how good the MC input sounded when using an ADSM/1 (this was tried with a top notch LK12 with Lingo 4 and played through my Klimax system) so I would like to hope - indeed, I'd fully expect - that the MM variant of same is rather fine sounding, too! :)

Bri

Well, I must confess to being rather drunk when hearing the above, and having just listened to it once again (whilst sober; err, well, whilst moderately sober), it seems that when played via an ADSM's phono stage, my LP12 actually sounds a little bit more like the below...

con1.jpg

...of course, one is merely jesting (we all already know that the above deck would totally blow an LP12 out of the water when it comes to pumping out a foot-tapping tune or two)!!!!

:nuts:

Nah, it did sound pretty darned splendid, so nothing to worry about (other than my rather strange sense of humour, of course). :D

Edited by Briain
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used the ADSM MC phono with my LP12/Ittok/ DV20XL and previously had a Linto/ Akurate Kontrol and LK140 set up with active Kelidhs, then went MDSM, Misos Aktive with two 4100s to ADSM Renew and now have ADSM3 Katalyst. I preferred the DSM phono to the Linto as I feel it has a lighter touch with more transparency.

Cheers

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jethanger said:

I have used the ADSM MC phono with my LP12/Ittok/ DV20XL and previously had a Linto/ Akurate Kontrol and LK140 set up with active Kelidhs, then went MDSM, Misos Aktive with two 4100s to ADSM Renew and now have ADSM3 Katalyst. I preferred the DSM phono to the Linto as I feel it has a lighter touch with more transparency.

Cheers

John

I used the ADSM MC stage for years with my Akiva and was quite happy. However, friends urged me to try the Linto and at first I thought, there's not much between them. But digging out lp's like Dr. John's In The Right Place or Talking Heads' Remain In Light, records with complex rhythms, clearly showed the superiority of the Linto in handling those. So I bought a second-hand Linto and was very happy with it.

Then the Urika 2 was released and the market was flooded with attractively priced Urika 1's. I quickly plunged for one of those and the Urika 1 is a game-changer, it's really quite a bit better than any of the others I've owned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

I used the ADSM MC stage for years with my Akiva and was quite happy.

For the purpose of answering the OP's original question, isn't that the point? He asked whether the the ADSM MM phono stage is "all right". Yes, it is. He also asked whether he needed to save up for a better one. The answer to that is "possibly", but given the quality of the inbuilt stage (and the fact that it is obviously compatible with the ADC that it feeds), that can be a longer term project. If the OP plans to stick with MM cartridges (for cost of ownership and logistic reasons), my recommendation would be the Lejonklou Slipsik 7, which is a lot cheaper than either a Uphorik or even a second hand Urika (which would also of course require the purchase of an MC cartridge).

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening all 

I’ve had my tt up and running for a couple of days and given a decent listen. 

Im a bit under whelmed ☹️

Its a well specked gyro deck with a good mm cartridge which should sound decent but it’s just flat. 

Im playing around in konfig but not sure what settings it should be at. 

Any advice would be great. 

Ps I’ve had a couple of lp12 and fancied a change 

Scott...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Scott mc said:

Evening all 

I’ve had my tt up and running for a couple of days and given a decent listen. 

Im a bit under whelmed ☹️

Its a well specked gyro deck with a good mm cartridge which should sound decent but it’s just flat. 

Im playing around in konfig but not sure what settings it should be at. 

Any advice would be great. 

Ps I’ve had a couple of lp12 and fancied a change 

Scott...

Just to be sure:

- You like the ADSM

- You don't like the Gyro and/or ADSM phono pre.

Correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scott mc said:

Like the akdsm

the phono stage should be more than good enough. 

Just not sure about konfig settings. If I’m overlooking something. 

The 'About' tab says MM Phono board, and you are sure you are using the correct aux input?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.