Sign in to follow this  
Snipsnap

Fyne F502 pairing amp?

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

Still a newbie here but currently I’m looking for options for pairing With Fyne F502. 
At my local dealers he recommend Azur 851w since it’s currently the only amp with 200w power that he have. 

Is there any other recommendations?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Hi,

I dont know why you need 200W The speakers literature says 40 to 180 watts Depending on your room size and how loud you like your music then you should be able to run with a lot less power and stop your speakers from burning out.

I would suggest something from the likes Musical Fidelity, Quad, Rega, Audiolab, Luxman, andSugden may be a good place to start. 75 to 125 watts would be my suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snipsnap said:

Hi Guys,

Still a newbie here but currently I’m looking for options for pairing With Fyne F502. 
At my local dealers he recommend Azur 851w since it’s currently the only amp with 200w power that he have. 

Is there any other recommendations?

Thanks

Hi snipsnap...welcome to the wam. Those are some great speakers you got there. A quick look at their specs, shows a sensitivity of 90db , which is very easy to drive. And a continuous power handling of 90 W. So you don't necessarily need a lot of power. But then will be easier to know how big your room is. 

I happened to see the whathifi review of the smaller F501, and they advised against pairing them with bright and lean amps. 

So you need quality than quantity of amplification. Once you can share your taste in music, your sitting distance and size of the room. Iam sure more experienced members will be able to advise more aptly. All the best :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Hi snipsnap...welcome to the wam. Those are some great speakers you got there. A quick look at their specs, shows a sensitivity of 90db , which is very easy to drive. And a continuous power handling of 90 W. So you don't necessarily need a lot of power. But then will be easier to know how big your room is. 

I happened to see the whathifi review of the smaller F501, and they advised against pairing them with bright and lean amps. 

So you need quality than quantity of amplification. Once you can share your taste in music, your sitting distance and size of the room. Iam sure more experienced members will be able to advise more aptly. All the best :)

Thanks for the reply. 

My room size is 36m2 (6x6). With ceiling height of 3m. Seating distance 3m from the speaker. 

For music mainly pop and trance/house. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few things to consider;

if the speakers are new to you, do you have any amp currently you can run them from? I would be tempted to use them for a couple of months - even if that means buying a s/h amp for £50-100 (which you could sell on afterwards). This will allow the speakers to run in and loosen up but more importantly allow you to get used to their sound. If you have that familiarity then it is far easier to hear what a different amp brings to the party.

Crucially, a running in period will give you time to play around with speaker positioning and find the best place for them in the room. If you have suspended wooden floors then sitting the speakers on bases isolating them from the floor can be useful in taming and tightening the bass.

Find out what amps Fyne prefer themselves by contacting them or what they have used at hifi shows (try YouTube)

Find a dealer that stocks your speakers and arrange a demo session to listen to different amps powering them. Try and get a home demo for the one or two you prefer.

I love buying second hand, you can get great value which means your budget accesses better quality kit. This site has a lively classified section of kit sold by enthusiasts. Once you have a better idea what type of amp will work best I would be keeping my eyes peeled on what becomes available in the classifieds or putting a wanted ad up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lostwin said:

A few things to consider;

if the speakers are new to you, do you have any amp currently you can run them from? I would be tempted to use them for a couple of months - even if that means buying a s/h amp for £50-100 (which you could sell on afterwards). This will allow the speakers to run in and loosen up but more importantly allow you to get used to their sound. If you have that familiarity then it is far easier to hear what a different amp brings to the party.

Crucially, a running in period will give you time to play around with speaker positioning and find the best place for them in the room. If you have suspended wooden floors then sitting the speakers on bases isolating them from the floor can be useful in taming and tightening the bass.

Find out what amps Fyne prefer themselves by contacting them or what they have used at hifi shows (try YouTube)

Find a dealer that stocks your speakers and arrange a demo session to listen to different amps powering them. Try and get a home demo for the one or two you prefer.

I love buying second hand, you can get great value which means your budget accesses better quality kit. This site has a lively classified section of kit sold by enthusiasts. Once you have a better idea what type of amp will work best I would be keeping my eyes peeled on what becomes available in the classifieds or putting a wanted ad up.

Thank you for the reply. 

There’s a used vincent 237 for sale. Do you think that it will be suitable for the speaker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snipsnap said:

Thank you for the reply. 

There’s a used vincent 237 for sale. Do you think that it will be suitable for the speaker?

I’m afraid I am not familiar with your speakers so my advice was more around how I would approach finding a suitable amp to match them with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer

According to their site they are a sensitive 91dB with a nominal 8m ohm impedance which is a benign load, that should mean they are easy to drive.

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another suggestion. If you give us an idea of where you are located then there might be forum members close to you that would be prepared to come over with various amps that they have so you can listen to some options.

Your chances for this increase exponentially if your hospitality includes an offer of cake!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lostwin said:

A few things to consider;

if the speakers are new to you, do you have any amp currently you can run them from? I would be tempted to use them for a couple of months - even if that means buying a s/h amp for £50-100 (which you could sell on afterwards). This will allow the speakers to run in and loosen up but more importantly allow you to get used to their sound. If you have that familiarity then it is far easier to hear what a different amp brings to the party.

Crucially, a running in period will give you time to play around with speaker positioning and find the best place for them in the room. If you have suspended wooden floors then sitting the speakers on bases isolating them from the floor can be useful in taming and tightening the bass.

Find out what amps Fyne prefer themselves by contacting them or what they have used at hifi shows (try YouTube)

Find a dealer that stocks your speakers and arrange a demo session to listen to different amps powering them. Try and get a home demo for the one or two you prefer.

I love buying second hand, you can get great value which means your budget accesses better quality kit. This site has a lively classified section of kit sold by enthusiasts. Once you have a better idea what type of amp will work best I would be keeping my eyes peeled on what becomes available in the classifieds or putting a wanted ad up.

Hi Snipsnap...this is some great advise by lostwin. It takes a few months of listening for our taste to mature. A 1600 pound speaker needs a quality amp to sound at its best. So buying a expensive amp for the first time, only to find it doesn't suit you in the

long run will be a lot of money down the drain. So best to get a second hand amp and get accustomed to the sound. And if possible please try to visit other members in the vicinity. A bakeoff will be ideal, but even otherwise most of us are open to hobbyists having a listen to our systems. Once you've heard quiet a bit, then you can be certain of the presentation you want. And then spend big money on a great amp. 

I have never heard a Vincent amp so don't know how it sounds. Fondly hope someone comes along soon. 

I would suggest to check up second hand options on eBay and post a likely list of candidates. This will make it easier for the seasoned gentlemen to chip in with their advise. All the best :)

If you can find a second hand naim amp, or a exposure amp, they have great prat for your musical tastes. They should keep you very happy to start with, if you can find them within your second hand budget. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lostwin said:

Another suggestion. If you give us an idea of where you are located then there might be forum members close to you that would be prepared to come over with various amps that they have so you can listen to some options.

Your chances for this increase exponentially if your hospitality includes an offer of cake!

I'm located in Jakarta, Indonesia.

By any chance is there anyone within this vicinity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Snipsnap said:

I'm located in Jakarta, Indonesia.

By any chance is there anyone within this vicinity?

Oops I guess Iam the closest you can find someone :D

But even Iam a few thousand miles away in India:)

I guess the Indonesian market should be very similar with India. So might not have loads of options on eBay. So if you have to go first hand. Then after much thinking, I would say arcam would be a safe bet for you. But if you are willing to risk it a bit, then naim. If naim works with the Fyne's then you will be in absolute bliss :)

But please do spend some time reading forums. Iam sure you are not the only Fyne owner out there. Considering how expensive hifi is in Jakarta, wait till there are sufficient posts out there from users, staying what works and what doesn't. Only then take the plunge . 

And do audition in advance if possible. All the best :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.