Audio Al

Bi Wire V Jumpers ?

From a very recent experiment on my linn Kabers before I took them aktiv was that a single wire (2 channel amp) with jumpers made the speaker more musical but less detailed compared to tri wire passive. As tri wire passive the treble over shadowed the mids a bit too much

Aktiv balanced it all out. Not as musical as the single wire but very balanced and detailed (frequency separation)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the years I have tried biamping and biwiring .. wife was used to determine the best (she has good ears and less cognitive bias) .. the result .. she couldn't hear a difference.

I have been told replacing a solid copper metal jumper with decent jumper cables makes a big improvement (though I doubt that physics supports this) .. I have a three box speaker system with high quality cable jumpers to each provided by the manufacturer so that is the way it stays. 

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, chebby said:

Tin the bare copper ends.

Good suggestion,  some may need to know how to do that 

28 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

Tinning the ends where there is no need for a solder connection will reduce the conductivity from pure copper.  Also if you are using captive screws to hold the wire the solder is soft and deforms and does not IMO give such a good bond (have also noted over the years how you have to re tighten screws in mains plugs where the wires have been tinned as they get loose over time). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

Google is their friend. :) 

I removed the standard copper binding posts on my 3 way pmc speakers and replace them with jumpers made off some spare supra cable. Couldn't hear an iota of difference, but kept the supra cables in place as they looked better. I just got a biwire cable to run the mids and tweeters. So the speakers will be triwired,  so it will look even better  :D

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, Audio Al said:

I have a dilema ,

Do I buy a set of Bi wired speaker cables ? or a quality pair of single cables and some decent Jumpers

( Not wooly Jumpers :D

The speakers have 4 binding posts on each speaker ( obviously O.o )

OH GOD , I started a CABLE thread :geek: :sofa:

Al, what length cable do you need? As the 2m Audioquest Jade 2 I was using with the Ushers is now redundant (2 spades amp end & 2 spade + 2 bananas speaker end) as the 989s are single wire. 

Before the Jade I used 6mm VD Hifi series with some Chord Odyssey2 Jumpers (could make up another pair of Jumpers for you or send you the offcut of Odyssey2 to make your own). The Ushers definitely benefit from some beefy cable feeding the bass terminals, and expect the QED 79 will provide a rather thin sound in comparison. 

My 2 cents is that it does not make a sonic difference whether you biwire or not.  But I think single wire is to be preferred: (1) If you are buying expensive cable then single wire is the better way to go - for $X you will get a better run of cable. (2) A bit tidier too. 

As for bare wire vs spade or banana then in theory the bare wire should be better (I cannot hear the difference) but if you are doing a lot of plugging and unplugging then bananas are handy.  As mentioned previously don't get stressed by oxidation - contact cleaner (I use Caigs Deoxit) every couple of years should maintain your membership in most audiophile clubs.

I don’t use jumper cables:)

CC3E40DC-3D77-430A-A180-B0A82FD64CCE.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lurch said:

Al, what length cable do you need? As the 2m Audioquest Jade 2 I was using with the Ushers is now redundant (2 spades amp end & 2 spade + 2 bananas speaker end) as the 989s are single wire. 

Before the Jade I used 6mm VD Hifi series with some Chord Odyssey2 Jumpers (could make up another pair of Jumpers for you or send you the offcut of Odyssey2 to make your own). The Ushers definitely benefit from some beefy cable feeding the bass terminals, and expect the QED 79 will provide a rather thin sound in comparison. 

Thanks John , but they are to short 

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, chebby said:

My 4mm, Van Damme, soldered ‘jumpers’. Bought really on aesthetic grounds ...

21762691084_608379e674_n.jpg

Agreed it looks nicer!  This is the 4mm OFC stuff.  BBAB9F28-F1D1-4456-AAC7-127E6A168D1B.thumb.jpeg.89b1b0bbb352120f4cbf099f85e39559.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iceman 16 said:

I don’t use jumper cables:)

CC3E40DC-3D77-430A-A180-B0A82FD64CCE.jpeg

That's very interesting.. something Iam seeing for the first time :)

Are those knobs to engage the speaker links and disengage them for biwiring.  

2 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

I think mid-ocean madness has finally got the better of you Newslash. I think they are those active speaker thingies every one is talking about :geek:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Yep. A bit tidy than jumper cables

Edited by Iceman 16
  • Like 1