Audio Al

Bi Wire V Jumpers ?

Posted (edited)

I have a dilema ,

Do I buy a set of Bi wired speaker cables ? or a quality pair of single cables and some decent Jumpers

( Not wooly Jumpers :D

The speakers have 4 binding posts on each speaker ( obviously O.o )

OH GOD , I started a CABLE thread :geek: :sofa:

Edited by Audio Al
  • Haha 2

Super Dealer

Neither, save your money, neither option will improve SQ.

Keith

That's novel are thay buletooth and don't need any cables , Epic B|

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

Depends on the the speaker and how the crossover was designed . Some are designed very much with bi wire in mind and in my view in these designs they can make a difference (Linn Sara 9) .

Others have added bi wire because the market demands it and make no effort to make the crossover and connections fulfill any design criteria (Harbeths) in the case of these speakers then either connection will sound the same and it will make no difference . So your question needs to have the speaker identified and then you need to find out if the Mfg was serious abotu bi wire or just adding it for adding sakes

11 minutes ago, Audio Al said:

I have a dilema ,

Do I buy a set of Bi wired speaker cables ? or a quality pair of single cables and some decent Jumpers

( Not wooly Jumpers :D

The speakers have 4 binding posts on each speaker ( obviously O.o )

OH GOD , I started a CABLE thread :geek: :sofa:

A decent single wire cable and a cut off from same cable to use as jumpers will do imo.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

I would echo @Iceman 16 and suggest the speaker cable that suits you and get a couple of extra lenths to make up the jumper wire would be the way to go .

I would also suggest that if you’re using bare wire connection, invest a can of Deoxit. I know it’s a bit expensive but well worth the money and will last for years. Bare copper oxidised very quickly as silver plated copper and looks really nasty. Banana plugs are good option and for convenience imo:)

OK thanks , I have some QED 79 strand cable and a big can of Deoxit , I will give that a try , Cheers 

19 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

I would also suggest that if you’re using bare wire connection, invest a can of Deoxit. I know it’s a bit expensive but well worth the money and will last for years. Bare copper oxidised very quickly as silver plated copper and looks really nasty. Banana plugs are good option and for convenience imo:)

To be fair, one of the main reasons for using copper for connectors is that it actually oxidises relatively slowly in air. That said, there is no harm whatsoever is a bit of deoxit. Better still is to regularly remake bare wire connections and unplug and plug things back in. An old-fashioned tip, but still a good one!

As for the OP. Either will be fine.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, rabski said:

To be fair, one of the main reasons for using copper for connectors is that it actually oxidises relatively slowly in air. That said, there is no harm whatsoever is a bit of deoxit. Better still is to regularly remake bare wire connections and unplug and plug things back in. An old-fashioned tip, but still a good one!

As for the OP. Either will be fine.

I’ve found many company using gold plated copper for banana plugs and speaker binding posts to prevent oxidation. If that makes sense.

Posted (edited)

Jumpers do make a difference, so I opted for Biwire cable , can't compare directly as I didnt have the same cable for the  jumpers, but playing around with various jumpers showed up some minute differences, nothing really to write home about but its there. I went for the full bi wire cable as the single run cable from the same brand/model (Mogami 3014/3103) didn't sound as good - but this may not directly related to the posts as other factors such as increased cable amount and insulation etc may also have affected it.

I'd go Bi Wire if you can, then you know its 'all the same', OCD heaven.

Edited by The Chronicals
  • Like 1