Smokestack

"Audiophile Vinyl " my foot !

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Just need to have a quick vent about this.

For the last few  years , with the modest vinyl resurgence , every new record in the shop has   "180gm Audiophile Vinyl"  boldly emblazoned on the front  as a mark of  professed quality and excellence . 

Does the industry not realise what a joke this is ?   Almost every one of these hefty discs you buy today is warped...  and a very  high proportion exhibit loud "vinyl roar" , often further coupled with surface noise between  tracks, consistent with the vinyl formulation having a 20%  grit  content  !

The  thin , wobbly and supposedly shoddy "oil crisis " vinyl of the '70s is  typically far better !

The problem I suspect is that we've  lost a generation who knew how to manufacture , cool, package and store records ....with the generation now responsible not yet having learnt very much!

There. I feel better now .

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a new tt, thinking “ I’ve got a decent tt and phono stage now,  I can build my vinyl collection up, this is gonna be great!” 

Reality is, the new stuff gets sent back half of the time, reiterating your comments, and the used stuff is so expensive, and requires forensic scrutiny to the nth degree before I buy it, which takes all the fun out of what should be a relaxing hobby. I hardly ever put my tt on really, even though I actually prefer the sound, I stick a cd in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boot sales and the like are still a good source if your tastes are not too mainstream or rock and pop oriented. I still have a surprising strike rate of good condition records (after a thorough cleaning) in the 50p - £1 bins. It was always rather boring as a youth flipping through the record racks, as 99.9% did not conform to my rather bizarre tastes, so that hasn't changed much. Max Bygraves, Val Doonican, Nolan Sisters, if only I liked their music I'd be in vinyl heaven!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It doesn't put me off vinyl at all ...and good turntables have a knack of minimising the annoyance .

It's just hugely silly to see these stickers all over the place when the industry obviously doesn't have a clue  what they should mean.

Either improve  the product... or leave the bloody stickers off !   [Preferably the former :D]

Edited by Smokestack
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree there is much out there that is decidedly below par. So much so that I've become very choosy about which new vinyl pressings I purchase, particularly re-issues and only tend to stick to certain labels that I've had good experiences with - MOFI, Music On Vinyl, Analogue Productions, Speakers Corner spring to mind. I recently bought the Johnny Cash Unearthed box set and the quality control on that seems to have been very poor, loads of surface noise and clicks - I have 40 year old records that sound quieter.

And 180g or even 200g is not a guarantee of excellent sound either - a poor recording on 180g is still a poor recording. There are plenty of great recordings from the 80s on much thinner vinyl that sound better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jazid said:

Boot sales and the like are still a good source if your tastes are not too mainstream or rock and pop oriented. I still have a surprising strike rate of good condition records (after a thorough cleaning) in the 50p - £1 bins. It was always rather boring as a youth flipping through the record racks, as 99.9% did not conform to my rather bizarre tastes, so that hasn't changed much. Max Bygraves, Val Doonican, Nolan Sisters, if only I liked their music I'd be in vinyl heaven!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
 

Nothing wrong with Val Doonican Jazid ... I was his biggest fan when I was about 5

"Delaney had a donkey that everyone admired

 ... temporarily lazy and permanently tired

A leg at every corner , balancing his head

...and a tail to let you know which end he wanted to be fed   "

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the thing to do is a little research, reviews, etc although for sound/pressing quality I find these very thin on the ground.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

I think the thing to do is a little research, reviews, etc although for sound/pressing quality I find these very thin on the ground.

Really ? So the new issues for Vinyl are limited and now they need to be even more limited because you have to ensure they are good pressings ? This is the reason I switched to CD many years ago and for me at least makes my decision the right thing to do . I buy ten to fifteen second hand CD's a month and never seem to have any trouble playing them and no need to limit my choice of what I buy . I have a huge eclectic taste in music across all types and countries CD makes getting this music easy Vinyl seems to me to just limit your choice.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Steve Hoffman forum is a good source for information on vinyl mastering and pressing quality.

Personally I think MoFi pressings are way too pricy but Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure offer a good sound per pound.

There are no half-measures with vinyl replay. If you want to hear it at it's best then it's going to cost, both in terms of kit and the price of the physical media.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bencat said:

Really ? So the new issues for Vinyl are limited and now they need to be even more limited because you have to ensure they are good pressings ? This is the reason I switched to CD many years ago and for me at least makes my decision the right thing to do . I buy ten to fifteen second hand CD's a month and never seem to have any trouble playing them and no need to limit my choice of what I buy . I have a huge eclectic taste in music across all types and countries CD makes getting this music easy Vinyl seems to me to just limit your choice.

No there are many great pressings out there without any of the limitations of CD sound, I like CD also but Vinyl every time for me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Baggawire said:

The Steve Hoffman forum is a good source for information on vinyl mastering and pressing quality.

Personally I think MoFi pressings are way too pricy but Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure offer a good sound per pound.

There are no half-measures with vinyl replay. If you want to hear it at it's best then it's going to cost, both in terms of kit and the price of the physical media.

There are many used record shops springing up now where many older records can be had for very decent prices. So no you don't have to pay very much at all.

Edited by Sgt Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sarg, If you've found a new second hand record shop that has records that you actually  want to buy... and  for sensible money .

Keep it  to yourself  ! :D

The downside of the minor vinyl Renaissance is that used record shops & stalls are charging a lot more money  for the good stuff...which is also becoming a bit  harder to find .

Just a few short years ago I could visit the record stall on our local indoor market and pick up half a dozen classic releases in decent nick for about a fiver a pop.

[Still fun to go hunting though...and it is  a bit ungrateful to moan about vinyl being more popular again. We can't have our cake & eat it ]

Edited by Smokestack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is that some charity shops which used to be a great source of 2nd hand buys are not only charging more, but for records that are frankly not in great nick.

But that makes it all the more rewarding when that treasure is found for a decent price I suppose. It's why I got into records in the first place all those years ago - the thrill of the chase!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

No there are many great pressings out there without any of the limitations of CD sound, I like CD also but Vinyl every time for me.

Sadly I can get decent CD's for very little money and with a huge range of music and none of the limitations of Vinyl Sound so think given the added cost for equipment ,Lp's and the limited catalogue available plus the effort to research to find out if the pressing / mastering / recording is good will stick to what I know and like and give Vinyl the thumbs down .

Edited by bencat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that there a many great pressings out there but they cost many great pounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.