Rayymondo

Banana plug stuck in amp speaker post

Hi all, 

Went to remove my speaker cables from my amp binding posts to get ready for the arrival of a new amp and one of the plugs won't come out 

Very frustrating!  Tried with pliers and bare hands and I can't budge it, I'm worried it will snap if I yank it too hard then I will be in trouble 

It's does come out a few mils and can wiggle it and even twist it but it seems to want to hang on in there. Seems to be catching somewhere! 

Any tips or ideas please?  

The plugs are the Hollow BFA Z type ones 

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

Hi all, 

Went to remove my speaker cables from my amp binding posts to get ready for the arrival of a new amp and one of the plugs won't come out 

Very frustrating!  Tried with pliers and bare hands and I can't budge it, I'm worried it will snap if I yank it too hard then I will be in trouble 

It's does come out a few mils and can wiggle it and even twist it but it seems to want to hang on in there. Seems to be catching somewhere! 

Any tips or ideas please?  

The plugs are the Hollow BFA Z type ones 

Thanks 

A little spray of wd40 might help

Sounds as though a bit of the 'Z' pattern is a little proud and catching in the socket. You could try a little lubricant, but not something that leaves an oily residue. I would preferably not use WD40 or similar, as that will get all over the place and has solvents that some things might not care for too much, though in the worst case, you could put some on a cotton bud and dab it on. Just don't spray it in with the nozzle. Try a little deoxit if you've got any and wiggle it around a bit. Try both clockwise and anti-clockwise and pull and twist at the same time. You've got to be pretty brutal to damage the socket, but try not to bend it at the same time, or you do risk breaking the plug in the socket. If that does happen, you could probably attack the remains with a pair of really fine needle-nose pliers, but best not to have to.

If there's enough room, see it you can get a really thin screwdriver (jewellers size) in alongside the plug to squeeze it a little.

Some designs work with the knurled/plastic shroud, as you tighten the pins of the plugs "spread". have you tried loosening counter clockwise?

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

You could try to remove the red or black cover, some may come right off, or if you turn it anticlockwise you should see the "hole" where wire would normally be inserted and see if you can use a small instrument screwdriver to push the stuck plug backwards.

BTW that how I remove the blanking plugs fitted to speaker terminals to prevent idiots plugging 2 pin mains plugs into the holes.

Image result for 4way binding post

Super Wammer

WD40 does not contain any solvents that should harm plastics......it only has two main components - paraffin & lanolin aka wool fat used in lots of hand creams

5 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

WD40 does not contain any solvents that should harm plastics......it only has two main components - paraffin & lanolin aka wool fat used in lots of hand creams

I would be a bit cautious with WD40. Back in the 80's, with a Sinclair Spectrum, I had a Robot arm and spraying with WD40 seized the plastic components beyond repair.

Quite aggressive on plastics IMO.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

+1 I’ve used WD40 a few times and it’s safe if use correctly. The oily residue can be cleaned with a bit of isopropyl alcohol

Super Wammer

I actually had it analysed in the late 1980's when I was using it as a lubricant on glass cutting equipment.  If it's 'aggressive' on plastics why is the aerosol nozzle on a can plastic and supplied with a plastic straw to deliver it into niches etc ??

Many thanks guys, I'll have another look later when I'm home. I'll pick up some WD40 and Deoxit if I can find some! It's moving about half way out and catching so not 100% it's a lubrication issue! If I didn't need to remove them I'd push it back in and forget about it but I have a new amp coming tonight. If I really can't get it out I'll have to cut the cable and get them re-terminated  or maybe use bare wire, but I'd much rather get the thing out! 

Off topic a bit, but the main issue I have with WD40 (and similar) is that even using the plastic tube nozzle, it has a tendancy to get everywhere and the residue, which is of course part of the point of it, is hard to clean off thoroughly and excellent at attracting dirt. Not to mention that it stinks (unless you like the smell, of course).

I mentioned solvent, but that's probably not relevant. It just came to mind as I remember repairing an amp where someone had decided WD40 would be good for cleaning pots... In case anyone is wondering, this comes under the 'very bad idea' category.

Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, rabski said:

I mentioned solvent, but that's probably not relevant. It just came to mind as I remember repairing an amp where someone had decided WD40 would be good for cleaning pots... In case anyone is wondering, this comes under the 'very bad idea' category.

'Oily' paraffin & fat based material not a good combination for a vol pot .....it would'nt squeak tho 😜

I was thinking as the op is using banana z plugs, those jagged edges might be dragging the speaker terminal when pulling out. 

1 hour ago, Iceman 16 said:

I was thinking as the op is using banana z plugs, those jagged edges might be dragging the speaker terminal when pulling out. 

Extremely likely I'd say. I don't like 'Z' plugs for exactly that reason.