The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

rumnyc

How to hookup a subwoofer to linn majik dsm/3

what is the best way? do i have to use two cables (L+R)?

The question or the answer?

Well the question actually. I have a spare subwoofer lying around that could get signal from one of the empty channels of my 5100 and was thinking of adding it to the mix

But I’m sure i’ll have more questions on placement and settings etc. it ain’t no fancy subwoofer so it may actually be more of a let down than help to my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, zee9 said:

Well the question actually. I have a spare subwoofer lying around that could get signal from one of the empty channels of my 5100 and was thinking of adding it to the mix

But I’m sure i’ll have more questions on placement and settings etc. it ain’t no fancy subwoofer so it may actually be more of a let down than help to my set up.

If I remember correctly, @mcgilroy owns both Kabers and a sub, so he may be able to give specific information concerning the placement. As for the sub, without knowing the brand and model, you aren't getting any answers.

If the sub doesn't go (much) lower than your speakers, I wouldn't bother. In my opinion subs should extend the lower end, and not try to make up for a lack of 'mid' bass. If the latter is your problem, you're better off moving to a smaller house or buying different speakers.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

When I visited McGillroy last year, his Kabers were placed close to the front wall, with his Nubert  subwoofer  next to one of the speakers.

The speakers were firing across the width of the room.

His room is quite large with high ceilings

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 1

If I remember correctly, [mention=117270]mcgilroy[/mention] owns both Kabers and a sub, so he may be able to give specific information concerning the placement. As for the sub, without knowing the brand and model, you aren't getting any answers.

If the sub doesn't go (much) lower than your speakers, I wouldn't bother. In my opinion subs should extend the lower end, and not try to make up for a lack of 'mid' bass. If the latter is your problem, you're better off moving to a smaller house or buying different speakers.

It’s a Boston acoustics (PV500). I see the range is actually 38hz to 150hz. So since my aktiv Kabers should take me down to 40hz as per the manual I’m guessing I can donate this subwoofer to my neighbour.

46f897376c2fc45a43ed9c731189593d.jpg

28 minutes ago, zee9 said:

It’s a Boston acoustics (PV500). I see the range is actually 38hz to 150hz. So since my aktiv Kabers should take me down to 40hz as per the manual I’m guessing I can donate this subwoofer to my neighbour.

46f897376c2fc45a43ed9c731189593d.jpg

I certainly wouldn't bother with it. I'd give it to a neighbor further away though, not the one next-door ;)

7 minutes ago, Tendaberry said:

I certainly wouldn't bother with it. I'd give it to a neighbor further away though, not the one next-door ;)

I just found a review, and I tend to agree with you.

It may do just fine when extending tiny surround speakers, but in a nice stereo.. probably not.

21 hours ago, Tin said:

It depends on the sub. Which one do you have or are you interested in?

It would also help if we knew which speakers you have.

Speakers are audio physic step 25plus book shelves. Sub is b&w db3d. 

Forgot to ask. From your name it sounds like there maybe a Linnie in nyc. Is that where you’re located?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, rumnyc said:

I would advise you to use 2 cables, and use the variable level outputs '12'

I cant help you further, as I don't know the speakers or the sub.

Edit: fixed silly mistake.

Edited by Tin

1 hour ago, Tin said:

I would advise you to use 2 cables, and use the fixed level outputs '13'

I cant help you further, as I don't know the speakers or the sub.

Is it really wise to use fixed level to connect the sub? It will be hell of a volume if I have understood what fixed level means. Isn’t variable level adjusted with the volume control a better choice?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, HansBertil said:

Is it really wise to use fixed level to connect the sub? It will be hell of a volume if I have understood what fixed level means. Isn’t variable level adjusted with the volume control a better choice?

You are obviously correct. My mistake. I'll fix it.

So, use the variable level, no. 12.

Edited by Tin