Sign in to follow this  
Pennypacker

Akurate Exaktbox demo

Recommended Posts

Dunno if this is the right chapter, but here goes, I need to share my thoughts. 

After hearing aktiv/exakt Linn and other active solutions on the fly a couple of times, I looked forward to demo an Exaktbox-i. I did not bother at first, since I did not have the financial outlay and don't want to hear it unless I could also buy it within a reasonable period in time.

So a ring to the dealer led to a home demo! Thumbs up for the service! :)  

I need to ad that my set-up normally runs in SO V2 and we needed to switch back to SO V1. The dealer and me took some time to set up V1 and switched some tracks back and forth.

Although the difference between the passive MDSM/3 and Akurate Exaktbox-i on my M140's was absolutely clearer, "softer" and more precise it left me a bit underwhelmed. Somehow I had greater expectations. Dont get me wrong, it sounds great, but I can't justify the investment at the moment.

I think I'll give it another shot after the release of the Exakt SO V2 because I just can't imagine that the difference would not be bigger between Kat-exakt and passive MDSM then I have heard.

The experience did change my perspective a bit on the whole exakt thing. For the cost of the AEBKI?? and eventually a system Hub there are a lot of speakers to connect to the business end of the MDSM/3. 

Also the M140 are unchanged on the market since 2007, this also playes a part in the decision, quite a big investment on an older model. The competition did not sat dead in the water during this period. 

I am aware of the non-Linn exakt possibility's, however these are all quite expensive options.

So in the meantime I will try to demo some of the usual suspects; Dynaudio, PMC, Kudos, Wilson Benesch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is indeed strange, that you didn't perceive a bigger difference, it should be quite massive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Tendaberry, the difference should be quite significant.

I find that when I do Space optimization, that it takes many many hours and several visits of adjustments to get it sounding it's best.

As with most electronics, they sound best when they have at least 20 hours of break-in time, if the Akurate Exaktbox I was brand new?

There are so many options for upgrades, it boggles the mind.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Given that the set up of SO is soooo full of variables, did you compare both set ups without any SO?  That way you eliminate the SO variables and only hear the transition to Exakt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

It is indeed strange, that you didn't perceive a bigger difference, it should be quite massive.

Well, what is massive...;) it was clearly an improvement, no doubt about that. 

22 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I agree with Tendaberry, the difference should be quite significant.

I find that when I do Space optimization, that it takes many many hours and several visits of adjustments to get it sounding it's best.

As with most electronics, they sound best when they have at least 20 hours of break-in time, if the Akurate Exaktbox I was brand new?

There are so many options for upgrades, it boggles the mind.  :)

Well, it is kinda of hard to take so much hours in a home demo for the SO V1 set up. that is why I want to wait until V2 comes for the exaktfilters for another try. it should be more straightforward I hope.The exaktbox was kind of new if I'am correct. 

If you have some upgrade options, I would like to know. 

21 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Given that the set up of SO is soooo full of variables, did you compare both set ups without any SO?  That way you eliminate the SO variables and only hear the transition to Exakt.

No, I did not think about that option, also: it was when I went back to passive and the dealer got away, I start to realy think things over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience was similar to yours when going exakt with MDSM/AEBOX6/M6100/M109 from analog aktiv.

For me everything changed to expected level and beyond, when MDSM was replaced with AEDSM. 

So if you have opportunity I suggest to try AEDSM with AEBOX-I. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.