Sign in to follow this  
macfan

Possible Cartridge Output Issue

Linn cartridge experts -

My new LP12 is being built as I write this and I am scheduled to pick it up June 26th. The cartridge that is currently fixed to the Akito 3b tonearm is a Krystal. For some reason I failed to consider the output voltage. The best I can tell it seems to be .25mV which appears to be too low for the MC phono preamp in my McIntosh C70 which has 60dB of gain. I looked up the settings for the Krystal with Linn's own preamps the they set the gain at 64db.

I am going to call my dealer and see if we should revert to the original plan - an Adkit in lieu of the Krystal. I could use a step up transformer but do not want to add another piece of equipment. 

1. Suggestions on how you all would proceed?
  2. Go with the Krystal and hope for the best. I have all the correct loading options just the gain is a bit off. Do not listen very loud overall.
  3. Go with the plan and just use the Adkit ?
  4. High output MC like a Dynavector  20x2 or something else

I know it is late in the game to make this discovery but at least it was caught before I brought my new LP12 home. 

Thanks -

Posted (edited)

I'm not familiar with the McIntiosh MC stage but in terms of output  the Krystal is quite typical for a MC  [some are higer & some lower] and so should happily work  into any well designed MC stage.

Edited by Smokestack

I have a Krystal. I have the gain on my Urika II set to 56dB. It works just fine.

McIntosh recommend at least .45mV output from the cartridge.

I don't remember now, will your new LP12 have a Radikal? In that case you could add a second-hand Urika 1 perhaps?

Doesn't your dealer have an LP12 with a Krystal, that you could try with your C70?

Posted (edited)

Hello -

I am going to take by C70 when I pick up the L12 next week. I called McIntosh up in Binghamton, NY and spoke with one of their techs. They told me I should have no problem with the output voltage of the Krystal and they run and test with cartridges with lower output at the factory. They are confident I will have no problems.

Thought about the Urika 1 or 2 as an option as well. Lawson mentioned he checked the Linn preamp he has an Akurate hooked up to and the gain was set to 58dB. Right now it looks like it will work out OK. By this time next Wednesday I should have her home. 

For those interested here is two of the first picture still in the setup gig. This was late last week. 

lp12a.jpg

lp12b.jpg

Edited by macfan
  • Like 2

Why bother with an Urika if you have a good phono tube stage in your preamp?

As a backup in case the C70 preamp did not have the gain for the output of Krystal. This does not appear to be a problem at this point. Was just considering options just in case.

The plinth looks great I'm just wondering what the red bit is at the corner of the armboard and top plate.:doh:

image.jpeg

Mr Kandid: Thanks for pointing that out. I will ask my dealer what this might be.

Looking closely at it I tend to think what we are seeing is the table surface the setup gig is sitting on and perhaps part of the package that has something red in it hanging from the peg board. At the time the photo was taken the Trampolin is not installed in the bottom.  The black angled part is part of the Kore. When I look at a photo of the underside with the Kore installed you can not see anything that would say we should remove that.

Will followup with dealer tomorrow as he is tweaking settings. Picking up this coming Wednesday.

I bet you can't wait and I hope all goes great for you " lovely plinth " I'm sure it's nothing but I immediately looked at my deck and there is nothing there at all.

I just thought might be something with the custom plinth.

look forward to your findings ATB B|

Thank you. I spoke with the dealer and all is well. I had inspected the plinth before sending it down to him and he confirmed the theory about what we are seeing. So all is well. Yes, can't wait to get her home. The whole process has taken just shy of 1 year. This is only because of the custom plinth and the exotic wood. I have the first few albums to play planned out and is part of my usual regiment when introducing a new piece of equipment.

• Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
  • Dead Can Dance - Into The Labyrinth
  • U2 - Achtung Baby (cool promo version from 1991with some early mixes not on the official release)
  • Peter Gabriel 4 (aka Security)
  • The Doors (first album reissued by Analog Productions / Acoustic Sounds)
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this