radiant red

Free play.. Technics SL1500C

4 hours ago, radiant red said:

If it did, it would be a keeper lol

Or more an indication there is summat wrong with the SP10 lol 

Super Wammer
On 15/06/2019 at 15:13, radiant red said:

Yes, 1210 mk7 ‘DJ’ deck on massive demand so a back log £799

SL1500C geared for home use at £899 with an Ortofon Red cartridge. These apparently have arrived and I’m borrowing one which will be with me by Friday next.

I’m intrigued that it comes with an Ortofon.  They’re quite decent, the Red being the mellowest of the 2M series, but with the turntable coming from Japan I’d have thought it might have an Audio Technica fitted. 

30 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I’m intrigued that it comes with an Ortofon.  They’re quite decent, the Red being the mellowest of the 2M series, but with the turntable coming from Japan I’d have thought it might have an Audio Technica fitted. 

From what I understand, this particular deck was produced specifically for the UK and European market in mind and the Hifi enthusiasts rather than a midway point with a DJ.

DJ’s in Europe have been crying out to replace their ageing 1200/1210’s and the 1210mk7 is their answer as the more expensive GR model is too expensive for their set ups.. 1210 mk7’s are on back order because of the demand from the above.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

9 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Interesting they compared it to an RP3. Both decks will always offer a different presentation. I’ll have to compare it to my RP6! Still think it would have been good for them to compare it to the old 1200. Maybe one of the other mags will. 

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, radiant red said:

Interesting they compared it to an RP3. Both decks will always offer a different presentation. I’ll have to compare it to my RP6! Still think it would have been good for them to compare it to the old 1200. Maybe one of the other mags will. 

In true What HiFi style they make a comparison with the Rega 3 and neglect to advise what cartridge and phono stage was used . I would hope the Ortofon Red was used so that the comapriosn is at least using the same transducer but you never know .

Posted (edited)

It's what hi-fi, so it simply doesn't count.

Move on, there is nothing to see here 

Edited by Idlewithnodrive
  • Haha 2

Well, as expected, my review sample is delayed for a week! 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 18/06/2019 at 10:23, bencat said:

In true What HiFi style they make a comparison with the Rega 3 and neglect to advise what cartridge and phono stage was used . I would hope the Ortofon Red was used so that the comapriosn is at least using the same transducer but you never know .

Ahem. Read WHFI review again: It has a built-in phono stage and the cartridge is the Ortofon Red. And they state that the Rega at around £650, once you add in a phono stage it'll be roughly the same cost as the Technics.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Ahem. Read WHFI review again: It has a built-in phono stage and the cartridge is the Ortofon Red. And they state that the Rega at around £650, once you add in a phono stage it'll be roughly the same cost as the Technics.

But that is the point , I had read and understood that the Technics has a built in phono stage  and that this and a cartridge would be needed with the Rega , so what did they use ? They could quite easily have stated which phono stage they tried , they could also have stated that they used the same ortofon cartridge for both decks to reduce the variables but they do not . Given this it reduces anything that we can learn from the comparison .

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bencat said:

But that is the point , I had read and understood that the Technics has a built in phono stage  and that this and a cartridge would be needed with the Rega , so what did they use ? They could quite easily have stated which phono stage they tried , they could also have stated that they used the same ortofon cartridge for both decks to reduce the variables but they do not . Given this it reduces anything that we can learn from the comparison .

Given this, I will be comparing using the same phonostage and cartridge to the old 1200 and Rega RP6

5 hours ago, bencat said:

No disrespect, but why would they switch cartridges when they are comparing it with the Planar 3 and Elys cartridge? nearly everyone will use whatever cart is fitted... it's only a few idiots like me who'll switch carts before giving the fitted one enough time to give an appraisal.

Radiant said he'll compared it with the RP6, so what's different other than -  maybe - swapping cartridges around? 

FWIW, I briefly owned the Ortofon Red when the stylus on my ClearAudio became knackered. Comparing the two, the Ortofon struggled to hold the candle to the ClearAudio Classic Wood cart. That cart was fitted to the Pro-ject Xpression 1

Likewise, I wouldn't compare my Pro-ject/Goldring with any other combo... sounds darn good for my ears 'as is'.

Posted (edited)

I’ll be using a Denon DL103r

Edited by radiant red

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

No disrespect, but why would they switch cartridges when they are comparing it with the Planar 3 and Elys cartridge? nearly everyone will use whatever cart is fitted... it's only a few idiots like me who'll switch carts before giving the fitted one enough time to give an appraisal.

Radiant said he'll compared it with the RP6, so what's different other than -  maybe - swapping cartridges around? 

FWIW, I briefly owned the Ortofon Red when the stylus on my ClearAudio became knackered. Comparing the two, the Ortofon struggled to hold the candle to the ClearAudio Classic Wood cart. That cart was fitted to the Pro-ject Xpression 1

Likewise, I wouldn't compare my Pro-ject/Goldring with any other combo... sounds darn good for my ears 'as is'.

Sorry but I want to know as clear as possible what the difference is between these two decks , so the motor unit and arm fitted to each . The cartridge could be either the same for each deck or the same model . As the Technics can output a raw signal and by pass the internal phono stage then you can use the same phono stage for both Turntables. Then you might well get a closer comparison of one over the other . Yes I know this is being picky but that is what reviews should be about trying within reason to reduce the variables and compare like for like .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bencat said:

Sorry but I want to know as clear as possible what the difference is between these two decks , so the motor unit and arm fitted to each . The cartridge could be either the same for each deck or the same model . As the Technics can output a raw signal and by pass the internal phono stage then you can use the same phono stage for both Turntables. Then you might well get a closer comparison of one over the other . Yes I know this is being picky but that is what reviews should be about trying within reason to reduce the variables and compare like for like .

I was trying to give a balanced reason why WHFI haven't faffed around with like-for-like cartridges.

Are you being too picky? Yes. I don't know of any pro mag review that would change carts to suit a readers ego, otherwise they would have pallet loads of the stuff... catch my drift?

My biggest issue is why Technics have paired a budget cart with a midrange table? Pretty sure a Ortofon Silver or Bronze would be better suited to a £900 table. That's what Pro-ject did with their £900 Classic - Ortofon Silver that I swapped out for a Goldring.