newlash09

Wharfdale Linton anniversary speakers

Hi all...

Good evening. 

Just happened to come across these speakers. Very decently priced along with their matching stands . And look lovely too. 

Saw some positive impressions on audiogon discussions, but not many reviews out there.

Was wondering if anyone here heard them. Can they be a cheaper ticket to the harbeth sound by any chance. Thanks :)

I saw these on You Tube where there is a few reviews emerging - I think Tharbamar and Steve Guttenberg

I am very interested in these as they bring back fond memories -I had a set of original Wharfedale Lintons back in the day when I was a student and in my 20's. I rather foolishly gave them away to a friend, but you now see them on ebay for £40-£50 ish

Obviously the latest ones are much improved blah de blah

• Like 1

Super Wammer

It’ll be interesting to see the reviews.  I rather doubt they’ll approach any Harbeth as no Wharfedale I ever heard came close. I think we’ve been fooled by the retro four-legged stands that look quite a bit like Harbeth on HiFi Racks stands!  

I had forgotten that Linton were ever a three-way design, when these first appeared, as I only remembered the two-way model with similar drivers to the Denton.  But I found the other version eventually!  

Wharfedale never followed BBC design ideas or studio usage that I recall.  They were more like the position that Q Acoustics hold today - easy to listen to, and domestically acceptable  

• Like 1

Super Wammer

From the 1974 HiFi Yearbook, with a whopping 20 watt power handling!  The version I remember best.  Not great!D5DAA1B0-7D06-4004-8CFA-705C52F1946B.thumb.jpeg.bdbc909fb9e8920cde27cf799f105fed.jpeg

Super Wammer

I think they were playing at bristol this year and very good they were too

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nopiano said:

It’ll be interesting to see the reviews.  I rather doubt they’ll approach any Harbeth as no Wharfedale I ever heard came close. I think we’ve been fooled by the retro four-legged stands that look quite a bit like Harbeth on HiFi Racks stands!  

I had forgotten that Linton were ever a three-way design, when these first appeared, as I only remembered the two-way model with similar drivers to the Denton.  But I found the other version eventually!  

Wharfedale never followed BBC design ideas or studio usage that I recall.  They were more like the position that Q Acoustics hold today - easy to listen to, and domestically acceptable  

Wharfedale were - and still are - in very different price bracket to Harbeth.

I owned the Linton XP2 back in the 70s. They were good but couldn't stomach a powerful amp. Anything around 40 watts and they were jake.

Edited by plasticpenguin
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

and they were jake.

Never heard this before and yet I know exactly what you mean! 😄

• Haha 1

I heard them too at Bristol in a fairly large room on the end of fairly modest Audiolab kit. They produced quite a big sound but with a trace of boxiness and a little hardness to the midrange. They would sound better in a more typically sized room I imagine. They have a perceptible (one could almost say contrived) old school voicing but they are not a BBC sounding speaker.

Definitely not neutral but an interesting alternative at the 1k price point. Cabinets look nice and i can imagine them appealing to high street buyers if such stores still existed 😊 .

If you are after a BBC ish sound i would go for a set of first gen Rogers LS6 or LS7 which are a similar size but have a more even presentation than the Lintons and pocket the substantial difference.

But credit to Wharfedale for doing something a little different from the identikit norm.

• Like 1

These Heritage speakers are just another way to cash in on sad old sods like me who want to reminisce 

(Cue the Hovis advert music).

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bigwig07 said:

I saw these on You Tube where there is a few reviews emerging - I think Tharbamar and Steve Guttenberg

I am very interested in these as they bring back fond memories -I had a set of original Wharfedale Lintons back in the day when I was a student and in my 20's. I rather foolishly gave them away to a friend, but you now see them on ebay for £40-£50 ish

Obviously the latest ones are much improved blah de blah

I too owned a pair way back in time (cue fond memories and nostalgic music). Seem to remember my other kit being a BSR deck and Sansui AU101 amplifier. 

Steve Guttenberg gave them a very positive review

My old ones were the XP2 version I think, on cheap wood mini stands on the end of a Sony STR232L 25 wpc reciever

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be though.. (Hovis music again)

th.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Thanks Nopiano...I under stand. There I was expecting a harbeth sound at a fraction of the price, because of the looks. So much for wishful thinking :)

Will wait for some more reviews to emerge, though I must admit Iam smitten by their looks, with their beautiful  matched stands :)

6 hours ago, Bigwig07 said:

My old ones were the XP2 version I think, on cheap wood mini stands on the end of a Sony STR232L 25 wpc reciever

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be though.. (Hovis music again)

th.jpg

That looks really tasty sir :)

6 hours ago, Bigwig07 said:

Why wouldn't he, that's what reviewers do. :P

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, graham67 said:

I heard them too at Bristol in a fairly large room on the end of fairly modest Audiolab kit. They produced quite a big sound but with a trace of boxiness and a little hardness to the midrange. They would sound better in a more typically sized room I imagine. They have a perceptible (one could almost say contrived) old school voicing but they are not a BBC sounding speaker.

Definitely not neutral but an interesting alternative at the 1k price point. Cabinets look nice and i can imagine them appealing to high street buyers if such stores still existed 😊 .

If you are after a BBC ish sound i would go for a set of first gen Rogers LS6 or LS7 which are a similar size but have a more even presentation than the Lintons and pocket the substantial difference.

But credit to Wharfedale for doing something a little different from the identikit norm.

Thanks a lot Graham67 for the advise. I must admit I was hoping they had that  old BBC midrange from the Rogers, the falcon , the spendors and the Harbeth's. But I guess considering the savings in costs involved, the wharfdale still look quiet tempting,  though that classic BBC sound is what Iam after, but on a budget. Will keep the Rogers in mind sir. Saw some on sale in the USA, but they are still priced very steeply there :)