lostwin

DIY Townsend Seismic Speaker Platform

9 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Mornin' Iain,

To keep the cost down I used 18mm basic plywood rather than the birch which is a better quality but in this instance I don't think it makes much difference. 

I'm thinking that I might spray them black though in their present guise they won't show the dust :)

Thank you.

Wickes seem to have the plywood in 4ft x 2ft x 18mm boards for £14 (and it fits in the car). Bargain.

I'd keep them 'natural' for the time being, bit of a faff to paint, the finish never comes out as you expect, then you knock them and rub the paint off (in my experience).

I have a pair of the official Townshend's under my 80kg speakers, cost a pretty penny, but a worthwhile 'investment' - Townshend have improved their QC a lot and they are finished very well.

I can live with unfinished ply under the 26kg speakers as they are in my third system and a little out of the way.

34 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Mornin' Iain,

To keep the cost down I used 18mm basic plywood rather than the birch which is a better quality but in this instance I don't think it makes much difference. 

I'm thinking that I might spray them black though in their present guise they won't show the dust :)

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/rust-oleum-pebble-stone-textured-spray-paint-400ml/p/0413359 :D

If I were buying wood I'd avoid the diy shops, quality of the timber is generally low. Any decent timber supplier, many builders merchants, have better choice and huge cutting machines, so can cut to the sizes you need. Near me, for example, 18mm ply is £30ish per 8x4 sheet, thats half wickes price for part boards, cutting is £1 a cut. 18mm malaysian hardwood 8x4 boards are £70ish a sheet, not cheap, but its a lot less than proper marine ply and is a nice quality product. Shop around, see what you find.

Personally, I wont paint anything grey. Cant stand it. Don't understand the fashion for it. Someone on telly told the pubic to paint everything grey and they obeyed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, forgot-my-id said:

If I were buying wood I'd avoid the diy shops, quality of the timber is generally low. Any decent timber supplier, many builders merchants, have better choice and huge cutting machines, so can cut to the sizes you need. Near me, for example, 18mm ply is £30ish per 8x4 sheet, thats half wickes price for part boards, cutting is £1 a cut. 18mm malaysian hardwood 8x4 boards are £70ish a sheet, not cheap, but its a lot less than proper marine ply and is a nice quality product. Shop around, see what you find.

I've just moved away from the PC and found some offcuts of 18mm ply in the garage, plenty big enough to have a try at building some stands. If it works, but the finish isn't great then I can think of trying some better wood.

16 minutes ago, forgot-my-id said:

I used a local timber supplier and had everything cut to size for a total of £39. It made it simple for me to construct the platforms. This was for the basic ply but I could have gone for the birch ply at £48 but being a tight bast...d. That also included the base boards that the platforms sit on so for my speakers that was 600 x 500mm (2off):  550 x 350mm (2 off) and 470 x 60mm (4 off)

1 minute ago, mr.me said:

I used a local timber supplier and had everything cut to size for a total of £39. It made it simple for me to construct the platforms. This was for the basic ply but I could have gone for the birch ply at £48 but being a tight bast...d. That also included the base boards that the platforms sit on so for my speakers that was 600 x 500mm (2off):  550 x 350mm (2 off) and 470 x 60mm (4 off)

What is the footprint of your speakers?

If they are the same size as mine then I know what measurements my wood needs to be.

Just worked out, we have a timber merchants in the village (I've only lived here for 15 years so still classed as a newcomer, and I can see why).

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, forgot-my-id said:

Personally, I wont paint anything grey. Cant stand it. Don't understand the fashion for it. Someone on telly told the pubic to paint everything grey and they obeyed. 

The point is, the texture.  I was kind of joking (hiding the dust?), but respraying an old Exposure 4 amp with this as an undercoat, then black for the colour, matched the original finish quite well.

spray underseal or "schutz" as car blokes call it will do a range of textures, try it.

german lesson - shutz means protect, as in unter-boden-shutz.  

Achtung, All ov Europe Vill be ours, you Vill OBEY

2 hours ago, Bertiebee said:

What is the footprint of your speakers?

If they are the same size as mine then I know what measurements my wood needs to be.

Just worked out, we have a timber merchants in the village (I've only lived here for 15 years so still classed as a newcomer, and I can see why).

My speakers measure  300mm wide x 340mm deep

45 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

Clever. Not sure I would want to overdo it on the weight but might work for speakers up to 20kg or so (spread over 4 supports). A wider, flatter version to sit the feet on for amps, CDP’s etc may be a good idea too.

Posted (edited)

I imagine you can change the performance by using thicker or wider strips of tube, or double layers.  I couldn't see the candle holders on Debenham's website, but I have aly and plastic tubing, so I could cut 8 pieces of either instead.  Or use napkin rings. 

I have some Heybrook HB3s in the loft system, which would be a good weight with which to try it.

Edited by awkwardbydesign

3 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

I imagine you can change the performance by using thicker or wider strips of tube, or double layers.  I couldn't see the candle holders on Debenham's website, but I have aly and plastic tubing, so I could cut 8 pieces of either instead.  Or use napkin rings. 

I have some Heybrook HB3s in the loft system, which would be a good weight with which to try it.

I think you would also need to experiment with how tightly the rubber was stretched. Too tight and the resonant frequency will be too high, isn’t  the aim to get it below 5hz?