horace

Thinking of buying a Fujifilm X100S...

I've lusted after a Fujifilm camera for ages. It's those dials, they call out to me. Truly, I hate menus.

I really fancy the X100S - I can get a really clean one for £350. It's bigger than the RX100 III it will replace, but I think I can live with that.

Alternatively, an XE-2 with either the XF 18-55mm or the 27mm pancake could be mine for about the same price.

I'm definitely leaning more towards the X100S - I love the simplicity of it, and the S seems to offer the best bang for the buck when looking at used X100 series cameras (do you agree?).

The truth is that I loved lots of things about the RX100 III, but found it too fiddly. The real killer was having to deal with the camera switching off every time I closed the viewfinder - that drove me demented. I realise later models don't do that, but they are starting to look really expensive for what you get.

my main camera is a Canon 6D, but I'm just not using it as much as I used to. I've flirted with an old EOS M (not bad - the 22mm pancake is a lovely lens), but it's not quite there for me.

I'm not averse to buying used cameras, trying them for a while, then moving them on if they don't suit, so I'm not afraid to take a a punt here. My only doubt is whether I'll regret not having the flexibility of interchangeable lenses offered by the XE-2.

I know there are some Fujifilm users here, so I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Posted (edited)

I’ve an X100 but I think Richard @Gromit has had all the variations and currently has the X100F. The X100 is clunky and focus is slow but takes beautiful images. There has been a progressive improvement in capability through the models, it’s always had stellar reviews but clearly is a different beast to an interchangeable lens camera but if the focal length suits it’s a no-brainer. Heres a Ken Rockwell standard gushing review https://kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100s.htm

Going interchangeable lens will be a much more costlier venture, Fuji lenses are not cheap, even pre-owned but they are mostly superb. Personally I’ve no experience of the XE2, my journey has been XT1 - XT2 and just this week XT3. (still got the 1 and 2 bodies)

I have the 18-55mm and have used it extensively and it’s probably as good a kit lens as you can get with any camera brandimho. How it performs with the XE2 or the ergonomics I don’t know. Get to a shop and have a play first. LCE in Gosforth and Charlie Eagles in Sunderland are the 2 local dealers, Eagles much the better and Robin Hunter one of the sales guys is a committed Fuji user and nice guy who will offer solid advice in my experience. I’m off on holiday next week for a couple of weeks otherwise I’d have offered to let you have a look at my kit and lenses including an X100. If you are not rushing to make a purchase happy to meet up early July.

I’m sure Richard will offer some advice, Tim@HectorHughMunro has a lot of Fuji experience as does Ben  @Bolts

Edited by Sumdumgi

13 hours ago, Sumdumgi said:

I’ve an X100 but I think Richard @Gromit has had all the variations and currently has the X100F. The X100 is clunky and focus is slow but takes beautiful images. There has been a progressive improvement in capability through the models, it’s always had stellar reviews but clearly is a different beast to an interchangeable lens camera but if the focal length suits it’s a no-brainer. Heres a Ken Rockwell standard gushing review https://kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100s.htm

Going interchangeable lens will be a much more costlier venture, Fuji lenses are not cheap, even pre-owned but they are mostly superb. Personally I’ve no experience of the XE2, my journey has been XT1 - XT2 and just this week XT3. (still got the 1 and 2 bodies)

I have the 18-55mm and have used it extensively and it’s probably as good a kit lens as you can get with any camera brandimho. How it performs with the XE2 or the ergonomics I don’t know. Get to a shop and have a play first. LCE in Gosforth and Charlie Eagles in Sunderland are the 2 local dealers, Eagles much the better and Robin Hunter one of the sales guys is a committed Fuji user and nice guy who will offer solid advice in my experience. I’m off on holiday next week for a couple of weeks otherwise I’d have offered to let you have a look at my kit and lenses including an X100. If you are not rushing to make a purchase happy to meet up early July.

I’m sure Richard will offer some advice, Tim@HectorHughMunro has a lot of Fuji experience as does Ben  @Bolts

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm grateful for your offer to meet up - reminds me that I've met far too few of the wam's NE contingent. Enjoy your holiday, and we can perhaps arrange something when you get back. 

I suppose the main issue with the XE-2/18-55 combo is that it isn't really small enough to be the camera I would carry when the 6D is too bulky. This points back to the X100s, which is as big as I'd go, I think. 

• Like 1

I had the 100T - lovely camera if you don’t need interchangeable lenses. Leaf shutter and ND filter makes it super-flexible especially in harsh light and great for strobe photography. Can’t recall what the spec differences are between s and t but both 16mp I believe and Fuji’s older sensor but I found IQ to be excellent. AF was fine, but not sports shooter by any stretch.

I had the tele- and wide- lens converter options too, but didn’t use that much.

Thanks everyone.

I went out shooting with my Canon EOS M50/22mm f2 this morning and got some nice images. But I've realised that I just don't enjoy the process of using the camera - the only controls I regularly change are shutter, aperture, ISO and exposure comp. That's why the Fujis are so appealing to me. Those early days with a Pentax K1000 spoiled me for life, I think.

I think my EOS M series bodies and lenses are soon going to be sold, at which point I will go Fuji. The only question is whether an X100 will be enough, or if I'll be tempted by one of the X series bodies with a prime lens. 

Then again, I've just spotted a lovely X100S for £320, and am tempted to bypass the careful decision making and just buy it.

We'll see.

Posted (edited)

Update: Canon EOS M series gear is (almost) all gone. 

I bought an X-t2 with 18-55mm.

It's not what I thought I needed, but who cares - it's awesome. I haven't enjoyed a new camera this much in a long time - it's a joy to use (and will be more of a joy once I've read the manual, no doubt). 

The 'kit' zoom is very nice too. 

I need that 14mm for landscapes, and maybe the 27mm pancake for portability. Better start saving... 

Edit: just found a used 27mm pancake - it's on its way to me now. 

Edited by horace
  • Like 1

Never tried the Fuji 27 but my favourite lens on MFT is the tiny Panasonic 20-1.7 - similar field of view to 27mm on APS-C. Such a useful focal length. :^

• Like 1

The 18-55 kit lens is very very good. The 27 less so but still a nice lens. In the end though even with the 27 to my xt1 was still not as small as i wanted so sold up and got the x100f. 

On 24/08/2019 at 15:37, Rjbell said:

The 18-55 kit lens is very very good. The 27 less so but still a nice lens. In the end though even with the 27 to my xt1 was still not as small as i wanted so sold up and got the x100f. 

Good point. I'm seriously impressed by the X-T2, which is the reason I have so far been able to overlook the fact that it is just a bit larger than I really need.

An X100 is still on the cards at some point, I suspect.

52 minutes ago, horace said:

Good point. I'm seriously impressed by the X-T2, which is the reason I have so far been able to overlook the fact that it is just a bit larger than I really need.

If you want something small, don't overlook the X-E2/3 bodies as they're no bigger than the X100. You can then share any glass you have for the X-T2. The X-E2 is something of a bargain too. :^

3 minutes ago, Gromit said:

If you want something small, don't overlook the X-E2/3 bodies as they're no bigger than the X100. You can then share any glass you have for the X-T2. The X-E2 is something of a bargain too. :^

Thanks - I didn't know that. Will investigate.

22 hours ago, horace said:

I have a xf10 also which is truely pocketable even in a pair of jeans. Its a 18mm lens so its wide enough for some landscapes also.