Headcoat

Phono pre-amp

Posted (edited)

So in buying an eq/extended tone control, I now need to consider a phono pre-amp. Sadly due to the nature of my integrated I can't put the eq between pre and power stages. The eq has to sit between sources and amp.

Been happy with the onboard phono stage in the NAD C368. I have an Art DJ 2 phone pre in storage I could use.

But the bug has bitten and I wonder if I can improve on the Art. My deck is a Project Debut 3 Audiophile with the Ortofon Pick It 25A cartridge and either the Pick It stylus or an OM20. Amp as mentioned is a NAD C368, main speakers Revolver Music 1s.

Will investing upto £150 net me any gains ,objectively or subjectively (in your opinions), over the ART?

Been looking at the Schiit Mani and various Project Phono boxes (bit confused if there is any sonic difference between the Phonobox with MM and MC and the basic Phonobox MM). I've no intention of getting a MC cart so MC loading options are irrelevant.

Stick or twist... ?

Edited by Headcoat

Bit confused,
The eq sits between pre and power I am assuming? If so the phono isn't affected differently from the other sources. What am I missing here?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Jazid said:

Bit confused,
The eq sits between pre and power I am assuming? If so the phono isn't affected differently from the other sources. What am I missing here?

Nope as said in post, the eq sits between sources and integrated. The integrated doesn't have power-in, it does have pre-out. So I plug DAC and phono stage into eq and eq into integrated. Eq can sit before the pre-amp, it doesn't have to sit between ore and power. There's no tape loop either on the integrated.

Try the phono you've got and see if you like it. If not tell us what you don't like or would like improved and then there's something to work with. Frankly it's just a shot in the dark otherwise.

• Upvote 1