TheFlash

Active and passive speaker topologies with examples

Super Wammer

Absolutely dire ....ROFL ūüėÄ

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

Just checked with the dcx manual ...it's actually 1 DAC per channel ¬†- now¬†I know that it will sound even worse ūüėú

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Metatron said:

But does it sound correct?

Many a woman looks a stunner, then her mouth opens and and all sorts of vile expletives and uncouth drama about reality TV and cheap attire that could adorn a lady of the night doth spew forth in a Vicky Pollard from Little Britain style. :sick:

Equally, the sound of somebody rather demure, classy, with much intelligence, good humour and marriageability could emerge. :love:

And just for Electro, I don't mean Rees-Mogg's sister. I know you like her. Go on, admit it. :peace:

You need to get out more. Or at least meet a better class of hooker.

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

...as the saying goes - Never judge a book by its cover.

2 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

You need to get out more. Or at least meet a better class of hooker.

The wife doesn't let me out.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, Metatron said:

The wife doesn't let me out.

You have a wife? Wow, didn't see that coming. :notworthy::minikev:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

You have a wife? Wow, didn't see that coming. :notworthy::minikev:

One who supports the spending on hifi kit. Currently getting quotes sorted out for professional installation of our big projection screen. Her push, not mine.

Just today, she validated accidentally spending £200 on something on the basis she hadn't bought any PS4 games for a while.

I said I liked her thinking since I hadn't bought an expensive DAC for a while. 

• Haha 5

Super Wammer

I still want to see the LINN diagram as I am still confused . Active crossovers go before the power amplifiers not before the drivers simples. Not sue how to produce the block charts above but best I can do is

Network Streamer - Digital Out Optical - MiniDSP DDRC 24 Digital optical in - Digital Cossover / DSP / DAC including volume - 4 x Analogue Out - 2 x Quad 405 Power amps one for the Right Speaker Bass and treble - one for the Left Speaker Bass and Treble - Out put music straight to my ear .

Okay I admit this is a simple active two way speaker , because I have neither the money or the skill to do a three way .

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I've owned active, passive, tri-amped, bi-amped - I think the lot.

I've never heard an improvement in audio quality with active loudspeakers over the properly driven passive work of a genuinely talented designer.

All of my favourite/best integrated speakers have been passive.

Edited by Tune
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
53 minutes ago, Tune said:

genuinely talented designer.

Name them :)

• Upvote 1

For many it would depend on their age. Hearing deteriorates with age so as we get older, those of a more subjective bent (like Stuart Tyler at Proac for instance) will tend to change their design.

Those of a more technically led nature like Greg Timbers at JBL will rely less on their own listening and more on numbers and reactions to get integration just right.

Another good passive designer that I actually have experience of would be Kevin Scott at Living Voice ( who I am confident is of the former category).

Other than that, I would not comment tonight but I would take properly powered passive speakers from those designers in their prime (and Timbers almost always) over any active design I have personally heard or owned.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, Tune said:

For many it would depend on their age. Hearing deteriorates with age so as we get older, those of a more subjective bent (like Stuart Tyler at Proac for instance) will tend to change their design.

Those of a more technically led nature like Greg Timbers at JBL will rely less on their own listening and more on numbers and reactions to get integration just right.

Another good passive designer that I actually have experience of would be Kevin Scott at Living Voice ( who I am confident is of the former category).

Other than that, I would not comment tonight but I would take properly powered passive speakers from those designers in their prime (and Timbers almost always) over any active design I have personally heard or owned.

You’re not really comparing active and passive there though are you, you’re just comparing designers/brands in a purely passive context as AFAIK none of those make active speakers. I presume you’re saying, for example, that you prefer ProAc, LV or JBL to ATC passives not just to their actives.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tune said:

I've never heard an improvement in audio quality with active loudspeakers over the properly driven passive work of a genuinely talented designer.

That is a very general statement which really needs to be backed up with a little information please so we can understand your point if view a little better.

For instance the only passive versus active comparison that I have heard side by side in the same room and with the same source were active and passive ATC 40 speakers courtesy of @TheFlash. In that case the passives were driven by the very nice and extremely capable Audio Flight FLS10 (cost £7900). To my ears the sound of the passives plus Audia Flight was very nice indeed but it was just pipped by the active version of the speakers. That is a £6800 active speaker which outpipped a combination of £3750 plus £7900  ie £11,650. Getting nearer to twice the price  

So that is what I have heard. Now, what active and passive versions of the same speaker have you heard and what amp was used the drive the passive version?

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Tune said:

Guys. Here is my original post if you haven't seen it. I'm simply stating what I have heard. 

I have owned Dynaudios - basically the same models - both passive and active but again, I would have kept the former rather than the latter. In light of Four Legs posts I should perhaps add that I owned ATC SCM50 asl Anniversaries which Stewart at Proac procured for me. His opinion (only) was that, at that time, ATC had some way to go in passive crossover design - being entirely empirically driven. I never heard the passives - the Actives did not impress hugely.

Another thing that I've done is to own both a digital system and a Pass Labs XVR three way along with design elements and cabinets of my choosing. I could get great sound. I just, try as I might for very long periods of time, get the integration and the seamless whole that others can get.

As I said originally just my experience. Would I compare active versus passive of the same model all the time? No. I would compare the models that sounded good to me. I'd not worry about topology.

Edited by Tune
to not cause offence.

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, bencat said:

I still want to see the LINN diagram as I am still confused . Active crossovers go before the power amplifiers not before the drivers simples. Not sue how to produce the block charts above but best I can do is

Network Streamer - Digital Out Optical - MiniDSP DDRC 24 Digital optical in - Digital Cossover / DSP / DAC including volume - 4 x Analogue Out - 2 x Quad 405 Power amps one for the Right Speaker Bass and treble - one for the Left Speaker Bass and Treble - Out put music straight to my ear . ÔĽŅ

Okay I admit this is a simple active two way speaker , because I have neither the money or the skill to do a three way .

Applying the same generic model, do you mean this :)

462780511_Bencatsystem.thumb.png.d009082e0b7ecb8063f20db0fc492b20.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1