TheFlash

Active and passive speaker topologies with examples

Super Wammer

Ok, so in my dreams... anyone wishing to talk about a particular active product would take this diagram and either draw a boundary on it or highlight in a colour of their choice the components which are included in eg a Dutch&Dutch system, a Linn Exaktbox system or whatever. These are a generic passive loudspeaker system and a generic active loudspeaker system; I have drawn on ATC's offerings as off-the-shelf examples with which I'm familiar.  Basically, the critical aspect here is the sequence of connection.

Are these examples crystal clear as a starting point?

If so, the challenge is to draw an equally simple schematic to describe other topologies or specific brand/models. An opportunity to simplify and communicate not to willy-wave about size or number of boxes!

502888713_SCM40Aactivespeakersystem.thumb.png.b51f38decfb644ff82cbd9a29b118e27.png

1707625886_SCM40passivespeakersystem.thumb.png.1039d1f3af57a44e760c69e672e188e1.png

• Upvote 2

Your drawing titles are the wrong way round! What you’ve described as the active setup is the passive one, and vice-versa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beobloke said:

Your drawing titles are the wrong way round! What you’ve described as the active setup is the passive one, and vice-versa.

Looks correct to me.

• Upvote 3

Agree it looks OK.

You did not change it when no one was looking. I know you Flash and you can be sneaky and very active. 😏

• Haha 6

Super Wammer

And with correct filenames...

1113765914_SCM40Aactivespeakersystem.thumb.png.0d8c2e9fcb73168aec45df84c9a1fe72.png

939923557_SCM40passivespeakersystem.thumb.png.80f67c351f6c3cde83904994c3095719.png

Super Wammer

I'm wondering if @Tin will be along shortly to take the opportunity to pull this pic into Powerpoint of similar and put some asterisks in various places to show which of these components are inside the Exaktbox-thingie...

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

IMG_0095.thumb.JPG.39af8ee07dc314db50c0daa2a34bf08d.JPG

Here is my current layout including the potential use of a graphic eq before the digital crossovers.

Layout.pptx

• Like 2

No powerpoint on my tablet. Sorry.

In my analogue active setup you would have to have 3 active crossovers, one before each amp. Actually, 4 as my speakers are 4-way, but for the sake of simplicity I'd stick at 3.

For Linns Exakt solution you would also need 3 (digital) crossovers, and hence 3 DACs as we established in the other thread that you need a separate DA conversion for each driver.

As for the building blocks and possible combinations, there are too many possibilities. You'd probably need 8 to 10 pictures.

3 minutes ago, Tin said:

In my analogue active setup you would have to have 3 active crossovers, one before each amp. Actually, 4 as my speakers are 4-way, but for the sake of simplicity I'd stick at 3.

Hi,

Are you stating that you are using stereo amplifiers, hence each crossover used is just a stereo filter, such as Left and Right mid-range, Left and Right Low-Frequency, and Left and Right high-frequency ?

Regards,

Shadders.

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, Tin said:

No powerpoint on my tablet. Sorry.

For Linns Exakt solution you would also need 3 (digital) crossovers, and hence 3 DACs as we established in the other thread that you need a separate DA conversion for each driver.

As for the building blocks and possible combinations, there are too many possibilities. You'd probably need 8 to 10 pictures.

A single Behringer DCX 2496 has three pairs of outputs ....one for bass, mids & tweeters - 'simples' 😀

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I think Linn have published similar diagrams, though I’m not finding one quite like yours at the moment.  They have many diagrams for surround sound, such as this. 

Plenty more here!  https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Surround_Sound

The overarching confusion seems to arise because active and powered speakers can be designed in multifarious ways, yet the labelling doesn’t usually articulate it.  Just saying Active or Wireless scarcely covers this, does it?

75D3C5CA-1195-4598-A507-7A2B5F026F09.thumb.jpeg.23b85478a5b409717d6988f40970b407.jpeg

11 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

A single Behringer DCX 2496 has three pairs of outputs ....one for bass, mids & tweeters - 'simples' 😀

That is because they have a single purpose. Linn tries to shave multiple cats in different types of configurations, and their naming convention is lacking as well. You need at least 4 people and a fully stocked pub to be able to process a list of all the possible combinations, possibilities, caveats and issues.

• Haha 3

Super Wammer

There is a hybrid type of speaker design deployed by Martin Logan and Goldenear brands, and doubtless others too, that’s quite interesting.  Several of their models have powered woofers, with in-built amps and DSP to maximise the bass quality, but rely on your power amp for mid and treble ranges.   

https://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series?gktab=3