The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Sign in to follow this  
alphatoner

An unexpected treat

Just back from a very nice week in Lake Como. While there a not was stuck under the door advertising a free concert the next evening at the local Anglican church overlooking the lake.

We went along out of interest, beautiful church and a totally unexpected treat from a local musician.

• Like 1

Indeed, sounds wonderful.

A few years ago, whilst on holiday in the eastern mediterranean, it was our habit to walk back to our hotel after dinner in the nearby town and stop for a nightcap at a bar just outside our hotel.

There was an english chap with electric guitar and drum machine playing and singing most evenings, quite competent but nothing special.

One evening there was a group at a table that he clearly knew, one of their number, a russian girl with an acoustic guitar was invited up to play with him. He, rather tastefully I thought, confined himself to playing rhythm/background parts while the girl played guitar and sang, in russian, they had clearly done this before.

She played 3 or 4 songs that she described as 'russian folk songs' and they were quite wonderful. Both my wife and I were in tears when we left at the end of the evening, the sadness and longing transcending language, as magical as it was unexpected.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1