Josh M

Classik Music + Wakonda Phono Help

Hi all,

I have had a Linn Classik Music since 2005 and still love it. I was previously running a Project turntable through it via a basic Project phono stage.

I recently got my hands on an LP12 (entry) with an Active MM cartridge, which worked fine with the Project phono but I decided it was time to upgrade to a proper phono stage worthy of the LP12.

I bought a second hand MM enabled Linn Wakonda in great condition and hooked it up (LP12 to Wakonda phono input, Wakonda line output to Classik aux input). But to get any sounds out of it I have to really whack the volume up and it sounds very muffled.

I have clearly made some rookie error but can't figure out why... can anyone put me out of my misery?

Many thanks in advance, Josh.

The Wakonda is a pre-amp so the line out will be volume controlled. You want a stand alone phono stage such as a Uphorik

Did you already try increasing the output volume on the Wakonda using the front buttons and not the remote? Even if MM is checked on the rear of the Wakonda, it could be that a dealer or user has changed it to MC since then. After all it's a very old product now. Getting that checked would be a good idea, if nothing else helps. It might also be useful to try using the other set of outputs on the rear of the Wakonda, just to rule out that one set is defective somehow.

I assume the cartridge is a Linn Adikt and not Active? If somehow you can't get the Wakonda to work, I would also recommend the Lejonklou phono stages Slipsik or Gaio. They were developed using the Adikt, so they are a perfect match.

Edited by Tendaberry