newlash09

Anyone heard the focal sopra no.2 and kef ref3

I’ve heard the Sopra1’s but not the 2’s. They are too big for my room.

The Focal brand in general are fairly up front with presentation, lots of detail, superb vocals & a powerful bass but they are too forceful for some people unless they’re partnered with a neutral or warm toned front end. Then again, I think PMC’s are also pretty hot in the treble end as are KEFs.

For £10k, there’s a fair amount of choice. I’ve got some ATC SCM40a’s on order. Heard them at home & at a dealers dem room. Superb speaker,  I’ve not heard anything I preferred for under £10k. Whether they are right for everyone is up for debate. The bass end is superb, controlled & clean as well as being forgiving of positioning as there’s no ports. But if someone wants deep deep powerful full on bass maybe they are too clean for some tastes?

I would add Kudos Titan 606 & B&W to the audition list as well as maybe Kanta3’s. But you really should hear the ATC’s as well.

• Like 2

Dealer
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, manicatel said:

I’ve got some ATC SCM40a’s on order. The bass end is superb, controlled & clean as well as being forgiving of positioning as there’s no ports. But if someone wants deep deep powerful full on bass maybe they are too clean for some tastes?

Nice one :cool:

Btw, for deeper more powerful LF use the SCM40A's with a sub/s. It's the most important main component anyway :)

Edited by Musicraft

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, manicatel said:

I’ve heard the Sopra1’s but not the 2’s. They are too big for my room.

The Focal brand in general are fairly up front with presentation, lots of detail, superb vocals & a powerful bass but they are too forceful for some people unless they’re partnered with a neutral or warm toned front end. Then again, I think PMC’s are also pretty hot in the treble end as are KEFs.

For £10k, there’s a fair amount of choice. I’ve got some ATC SCM40a’s on order. Heard them at home & at a dealers dem room. Superb speaker,  I’ve not heard anything I preferred for under £10k. Whether they are right for everyone is up for debate. The bass end is superb, controlled & clean as well as being forgiving of positioning as there’s no ports. But if someone wants deep deep powerful full on bass maybe they are too clean for some tastes?

I would add Kudos Titan 606 & B&W to the audition list as well as maybe Kanta3’s. But you really should hear the ATC’s as well.

I agree with a lot of that.

The current Kef Refs are more refined, yet more detailed than the previous Refs, which could sound Lean and Shouty, if matched wrongly.

The current Refs work with a greater range of amps, but shine a spotlight on preceding components. IME. They can sound a bit "HiFi", but this can be pretty much mitigated by choosing components known for being more engaging and less analytical.....They sounded very engaging with a Linn Akurate DS + MF AMS 35i and also worked well with the Arcam A49 (both now discontinued).

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Traditionally that was always the case, but now you can use whichever speaker you choose and the tools are now available to ‘fix’ any room issues.

Keith

This seems a mite simplistic to me, apart from any issues with the bass physics of any bit of kit and its interactions, it seems to me that the less you are forced to rely on DSP and room treatments the better; you may have complex and overlapping issues that one fix undoes for instance.

In this case the OP may simply need to play with some different cables to get the result he is after, for instance. Changing his speakers may resolve one issue and open up others.

I WOULD recommend getting REW and look at what is happening in the room, but I expected you to come along and suggest that.

M

Super Dealer

‘Play with some cables’ yes of course that will do it!

Keith

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/06/2019 at 21:50, zee9 said:

If you’re in India then it’s going to have to be new however I do have some friends selling some nice s/h gear but it’s all top shelf (tidal etc) I actually have a mckintosh setup in pune that I’m not using and might be open to selling them. Personally I’m a big fan of bass as well however I’ve learnt that people associate loose bass as good bass and tight bass as lacking bass. I’m sure the PMC’s do the job for you.

I’m personally a Linnie and presently use aktiv Kabers which are really not known for their bass or low end but they are very fast and precise speakers for me.

I had keilidhs before which are more bass but also much looser bass than the Kabers. Send me a pm and maybe I can introduce you to some friends who are selling some s/h gear.

Here’s a picture of my custom setup just for fun. I found the black Kabers very boring to look at compared to my previous mint walnut keilidhs so i added some copper leaf to them.

PS- on my last trip to pune I heard the spendor classic 2/3 that I really liked. I think they were being run off bel canto front end and amps.

4352f6a3f266e72f94cb96af5ea86fc7.jpg

242bdd11e8ceb40cdccd02f0029b6ae0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for your generous offer sir :)

Will pm your goodselves once Iam back home, and once funds are again aflush  :D

I really liked the gold leaf work on the driver surrounds. Even Iam a stickler for looks, and like lots of bling. So I have lots of my kit chrome wrapped. It does look a bit loud, but I like it that way. I haven't touched the speakers so far yet. Your gold leaf work is giving me some interesting ideas now. Thanks for sharing your pics. They indeed look lovely with that surround :)

On 12/06/2019 at 16:53, PuritéAudio said:

‘Play with some cables’ yes of course that will do it!

Keith

Newlash,

I will deliberately not move the debate in this direction, as it will not assist you.

My overriding point is that if there is much you like about your current setup then there are avenues you can usefully explore BEFORE thinking about bigger money items.

M

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr Underhill said:

Newlash,

I will deliberately not move the debate in this direction, as it will not assist you.

My overriding point is that if there is much you like about your current setup then there are avenues you can usefully explore BEFORE thinking about bigger money items.

M

Thanks a lot Mr.Underhill :)

Point well noted sir. Iam actually trying this out as well. After reading lots of cable reviews , I finally bought some transparent audio music wave plus biwire cables to run the mids and the tweeters. They are supposed to smoothen out treble harshness if any. And they were found especially effective with focal sopra no.2's by lots of users. So will give them a Spin this time and see how it works. Thanks :)

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Thanks a lot Mr.Underhill :)

Point well noted sir. Iam actually trying this out as well. After reading lots of cable reviews , I finally bought some transparent audio music wave plus biwire cables to run the mids and the tweeters. They are supposed to smoothen out treble harshness if any. And they were found especially effective with focal sopra no.2's by lots of users. So will give them a Spin this time and see how it works. Thanks :)

That exact Transparent model was how I ran my old Sonus fabers.  They were 2-way, plus an ABR, so biwiring was all I needed!  They were so good I sold them to the nice man who bought the speakers.  I never did know what the boxes did, but they looked cool.  You can probably make out the cables in this old picture I may have shown you before. 0CB61405-0A05-41E6-81B6-58F93638E3CF.thumb.jpeg.6cd2e087ae6abdeb1d717aaff70f8494.jpeg

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

That exact Transparent model was how I ran my old Sonus fabers.  They were 2-way, plus an ABR, so biwiring was all I needed!  They were so good I sold them to the nice man who bought the speakers.  I never did know what the boxes did, but they looked cool.  You can probably make out the cables in this old picture I may have shown you before. 0CB61405-0A05-41E6-81B6-58F93638E3CF.thumb.jpeg.6cd2e087ae6abdeb1d717aaff70f8494.jpeg

Thanks for the positive feedback Nopiano. Even Iam curious to give them a try. Even my cables are white in colour like yours :)

I believe those boxes they have on the wires, are some kind of noise suppressors as per some literature I read on their cables. 

I actually don't remember seeing this pic before. I think I've only ever seen newer pics with the scm40's on those granite slabs :)