newlash09

Anyone heard the focal sopra no.2 and kef ref3

Hi all...

My next speaker purchase is atleast an year off. So this might be too premature to post at the moment. But I wanted to know how much I needed to  save for my next upgrade .

I presently have the pmc 20.26 which are great for edm and electro punk. Which has been most of my listening till now. But on anything having real instruments or real human voices, I find them too dry and lean. It is really airy and dry in the mid range and treble areas. But they absolutely stun me with their bass . This is the best bass I've every heard period. 

My first impulse was to sell all my second hand amplification and my present speakers and go for something active like the ATC scm40A. I will definitely be auditioning her, but there seem to be very few good looking active floor standers. So that got me back to looking at passive speakers. Iam presently not considering the pmc, as they are too dry for my tastes. So iam considering the focal sopra no.2 and kef ref3 at the moment. Any listening impressions from forum members will be most useful. And please do also let me know if I should be looking at any other passive soeakers in the 10k pound range. Bass performance, resolution & clarity and dynamics are what Iam looking for. Plus I don't want it to be dry sounding like the pmc.  Thanks for your time :)

Super Wammer

Posted (edited)

I have heard most of the previous Focal Utopia range...and they were too forward for my taste. I haven't heard the newer Sopra range...but it's hard to believe they have strayed too far from their house sound.

i may be biased, but for my taste, the Ref 3s are a much more pleasant listen.... But you still have to have components of commensurate ability.

This is something that you will have to hear for yourself, though...

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

Thank you sir...but Iam sadly not from the UK.. So will have to probably buy new in India. Besides, with my recent acquisition of some amps and digital sources, my resources are also stretched at the moment. So will have to wait for atleast a year to get the funds saved for my next purchase. Hope you understand sir:)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Hi all...

My next speaker purchase is atleast an year off. So this might be too premature to post at the moment. But I wanted to know how much I needed to  save for my next upgrade .

I presently have the pmc 20.26 which are great for edm and electro punk. Which has been most of my listening till now. But on anything having real instruments or real human voices, I find them too dry and lean. It is really airy and dry in the mid range and treble areas. But they absolutely stun me with their bass . This is the best bass I've every heard period. 

My first impulse was to sell all my second hand amplification and my present speakers and go for something active like the ATC scm40A. I will definitely be auditioning her, but there seem to be very few good looking active floor standers. So that got me back to looking at passive speakers. Iam presently not considering the pmc, as they are too dry for my tastes. So iam considering the focal sopra no.2 and kef ref3 at the moment. Any listening impressions from forum members will be most useful. And please do also let me know if I should be looking at any other passive soeakers in the 10k pound range. Bass performance, resolution & clarity and dynamics are what Iam looking for. Plus I don't want it to be dry sounding like the pmc.  Thanks for your time :)

I haven't heard the Sopra 2 but I have Ref 3

BC82F0C2-A3A0-49C1-BAF0-10CBBE04101A.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I have heard most of the previous Focal Utopia range...and they were too forward for my taste. I haven't heard the newer Sopra range...but it's hard to believe they have strayed too far from their house sound.

i may be biased, but for my taste, the Ref 3s are a much more pleasant listen.... But you still have to have components of commensurate ability.

This is something that you will have to hear for yourself, though...

Thanks sir..as compared to the pmc which have a deliberate dip in the presence region between 1000 to 2400 Hz as per reviews. Can you please explain what being too forward is. I have a heard that being mentioned a number of times, I have understood a vague idea of what it is. But a understanding of the actual difference in sound it brings will be very helpful for me . Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

I haven't heard the Sopra 2 but I have Ref 3

BC82F0C2-A3A0-49C1-BAF0-10CBBE04101A.jpeg

They look lovely Iceman:)

7 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Thanks sir..as compared to the pmc which have a deliberate dip in the presence region between 1000 to 2400 Hz as per reviews. Can you please explain what being too forward is. I have a heard that being mentioned a number of times, I have understood a vague idea of what it is. But a understanding of the actual difference in sound it brings will be very helpful for me . Thanks in advance.

I mean that they sound the very opposite of Laid Back. They have a very clean, direct and somewhat analytical sound, that I find too " In yer face".....so I find them fatiguing after a while.

They are the opposite end of the sonic spectrum to Harbeth.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I mean that they sound the very opposite of Laid Back. They have a very clean, direct and somewhat analytical sound, that I find too " In yer face".....so I find them fatiguing after a while.

They are the opposite end of the sonic spectrum to Harbeth.

Thanks sir...just to give an idea of where Iam heading or what Iam looking for...my close friend has the B&W nautilus speakers, probably the very first version. They have very crisp treble and are awesome on female vocals. Have great resolution too. But the moment they are called up to do fast punk, their pace and bass just can't keep up. That's where the pmc excel, but they sound no where as good on vocals. So iam looking for a speaker which does both, solid proper pace and deep bass , along with thick nice  vocals and strings. Since you have heard a lot of kit unlike me, i was hoping you could suggest the direction of brands I should be looking at. I've already spent a whole lot more than I should in the last 2 years. So hoping this last speaker purchase will keep me off buying any new stuff for the next 10 years;)

Posted (edited)

In your position and with the sound profile you are describing I would be following the below thread with extreme prejudice :rockin:

Edited by lostwin
Typo

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Thanks sir...just to give an idea of where Iam heading or what Iam looking for...my close friend has the B&W nautilus speakers, probably the very first version. They have very crisp treble and are awesome on female vocals. Have great resolution too. But the moment they are called up to do fast punk, their pace and bass just can't keep up. That's where the pmc excel, but they sound no where as good on vocals. So iam looking for a speaker which does both, solid proper pace and deep bass , along with thick nice  vocals and strings. Since you have heard a lot of kit unlike me, i was hoping you could suggest the direction of brands I should be looking at. I've already spent a whole lot more than I should in the last 2 years. So hoping this last speaker purchase will keep me off buying any new stuff for the next 10 years;)

The 2 best speakers that I've heard are the Kef Blades (and the Ref 3s give a good taste of that) and the Harbeth Monitor 40.2s.

i loved the match of the Ref 3s with the MF AMS35i.... But I would also suggest Electrocompaniet; Pass Labs; Luxman; Accuphase; MF Nu Vista; Pathos; Sugden Masterclass and Mc Intosh would all work well.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

The newer Kanta range of Focal has, I believe, a rather more even-handed sound. Like Cno, I’ve only heard the ‘dalek’-looking Focals sounding unbearably hard, with a laser-light treble.  

@manicatel has Kanta 2 and is thinking of downgrading in price to better ATCs, as detailed in the ATC owners club thread elsewhere on the Wam. He may be able to help with some insights.  

Have you ever heard PMC’s Fact range?  They’re rather more neutral to my ears than the twenty-series, and a Signature edition has just been announced so bargains might be available.  There’s a .12 and a smaller .8 model.  

I have only heard Ref 1 KEFs for any length of time and would say they are easiest to live with, as long as you use a great amplifier - which you have!

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1

Thank you sir...but Iam sadly not from the UK.. So will have to probably buy new in India. Besides, with my recent acquisition of some amps and digital sources, my resources are also stretched at the moment. So will have to wait for atleast a year to get the funds saved for my next purchase. Hope you understand sir:)

If you’re in India then it’s going to have to be new however I do have some friends selling some nice s/h gear but it’s all top shelf (tidal etc) I actually have a mckintosh setup in pune that I’m not using and might be open to selling them. Personally I’m a big fan of bass as well however I’ve learnt that people associate loose bass as good bass and tight bass as lacking bass. I’m sure the PMC’s do the job for you.

I’m personally a Linnie and presently use aktiv Kabers which are really not known for their bass or low end but they are very fast and precise speakers for me.

I had keilidhs before which are more bass but also much looser bass than the Kabers. Send me a pm and maybe I can introduce you to some friends who are selling some s/h gear.

Here’s a picture of my custom setup just for fun. I found the black Kabers very boring to look at compared to my previous mint walnut keilidhs so i added some copper leaf to them.

PS- on my last trip to pune I heard the spendor classic 2/3 that I really liked. I think they were being run off bel canto front end and amps.

4352f6a3f266e72f94cb96af5ea86fc7.jpg

242bdd11e8ceb40cdccd02f0029b6ae0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Newlash,

My immediate thought is that one of the most difficult things to get is a pair of speakers that works well in your room, and gives you good bass without setting of room resonances.

If the PMCs are working well for you you may be better off looking at: your source and amps; and, your room. Adjusting these may give you the more liquid sound you are looking for.

M

• Like 1

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, Mr Underhill said:

Hi Newlash,

My immediate thought is that one of the most difficult things to get is a pair of speakers that works well in your room, and gives you good bass without setting of room resonances.

If the PMCs are working well for you you may be better off looking at: your source and amps; and, your room. Adjusting these may give you the more liquid sound you are looking for.

M

Traditionally that was always the case, but now you can use whichever speaker you choose and the tools are now available to ‘fix’ any room issues.

Keith

• Like 1